clicking sound from the throttle body area

early today I opened the hood while the engine was idling and noticed a clicking sound comming from the throttle body / intake manifold area. I think it has something to do with the variable intake system. the clicking sound is heard twice every second. 

does the intake manifold has an electric motor inside to operate the variable intake manifold? It sounds like the connection between the actuator and electric motor has something to do with it. 

the check engine light does not come on. the engine is a 5.3L and the truck is a 2014 chevrolet silverado ltz.

does anyone have an idea what the problem is?

here's an update of the ticking issue.

when I increase the rpm the ticking sound does not change. so it's not rpm related.

the ticking is heard when the truck has been driven for about 10 minutes. when I shut of the engine after a say 15 minute drive , wait a good 15 minutes and then start it again, the ticking sound is gone. you can hear it but only once a minute or so.

when I open the hood after a 15 minute drive it ticks but when I pull out the throttle body connector the ticking stops immediately and of course the engine goes into a sort of limp mode. so my guess is that the throttle body has something to do with it.

so should I replace the throttle body for a new one or is it servicable?

7 minutes ago, Larsson said:

is the throttle body a part that often fails? or is it a case of bad luck for me.

Honestly, never have heard of one failing. 

Probably makes no difference, but do you get a constant CEL when you unplug the throttle body? If so you could check and see if there are any other codes stored, maybe related to your problem.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

thank you for your reply jimcost2014 but what does CEL means?

I'll take your advice of checking for some stored codes and post my findings as soon as I have the time to do so.

the truck still runs great ,the only problem is the ticking. I don't want to be the guy who gets stranded at the side of the road because I ignored a problem.

19 minutes ago, Larsson said:

thank you for your reply jimcost2014 but what does CEL means?

I'll take your advice of checking for some stored codes and post my findings as soon as I have the time to do so.

the truck still runs great ,the only problem is the ticking. I don't want to be the guy who gets stranded at the side of the road because I ignored a problem.

C(heck) E(ngine) L(ight).  Some use the term S(ervice) E(ngine) S(oon).

• 4 weeks later...

there are no fault codes stored. but when I use an all metal screwdriver, put one side on the throttlebody and the other side agains my ear, I clearly hear the ticking sound. so the sound is coming from the throttlebody.

The next thing I can do is remove the intake assembly while the clickingsound is present. so I can see if the butterfly valve is moving with the clicking sound and go from there.

• Like 1

I had a ticking Throttle Body. Similar to your scenario (at idle, warm engine). Replaced it and it has not come back. Used it as an excuse to get a Solar TB (ported). 

Never did figure out what caused it. 

• Like 2

Bolt off, bolt on. Takes three minutes once you know the steps. No reprograming for me, even when I upgraded to a ported one.

However, my truck is tuned (before replacement). I don't think that changes it, but just adding the fact. 

Thanks for the reply ftwhite. I'm going to replace mine too. 

But because I'm from Holland I can't go to a parts-store and buy a throttle body for my truck. They just don't sell them here. So the only option is to order one on-line. I usually order parts at rockauto.com but do you know any other site where to order one? perhaps a ported one😋?