In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I've got this code up, I have replaced BOTH the dash switch AND the relay under the spare tire to no avail. I have cleaned out the port on the bumper too. Gonna have my buddy scan it and pull the code for me. I'm out of ideas?

Did you check the fuses under the hood as well? When I blow my trailer brakes fuse, that is the message I get.

18 minutes ago, NWI Denali said:

2017 6.2

All fuses are good and brake fluid is halfway between MIN and MAX

Three common parts.  Switch in the dash, the trailer 7 way in the bumper and the trailer brake control module.

Not sure what "relay" you replaced under the truck, as these don't use the relay like 07-13.  I'm assuming you meant the module?

You will probably find a C1111, C1112 or C1114 if its just a trailer brake code.  There might be another one causing it however.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

Yes sorry, brain fart. I replaced the module. This is what I replaced. 

Do you know what those code #s correspond to? Do they each correspond to one item, the switch, the module, and the bumper port? 

Thanks for the quick responses. You seem very knowledgeable on the subject.

31Y9aOFDjPS._AC_SY1000_.jpg

I hate just blindly throwing parts at it but I was pretty confident from everything I read online that it was either the dash switch or the module. Oh well, ya win some and ya lose some I suppose. Lol

27 minutes ago, NWI Denali said:

Do you know what those code #s correspond to? Do they each correspond to one item, the switch, the module, and the bumper port? 

Thanks for the quick responses. You seem very knowledgeable on the subject.

Eh, somewhat.  C1114 typically is found with a bad control switch in the dash, but can also lead to the 7 way.  The module codes are more specific to the module.  It does ideally require some circuit testing based on the code(s) you find.

DTC C111B 03

Trailer Brake Power Control Module System Voltage — Voltage Below Threshold

DTC C111B 07

Trailer Brake Power Control Module System Voltage — Voltage Above Threshold

DTC C111B 5A

Trailer Brake Power Control Module System Voltage — Plausibility Failure

DTC C1112 00

Trailer Brake Signal to Trailer Brake Power Control Module Circuit — Malfunction

DTC C1113 01

Trailer Brake Power Control Module Enable Circuit — Short to Battery

DTC C1113 02

Trailer Brake Power Control Module Enable Circuit — Short to Ground

DTC C1114 00

Trailer Brake Control Solenoids Control Circuit — Malfunction

• Like 1

I just replaced the bumper plug now too. So all 3 parts are new. Still no luck. Code still there.  🙄 Really at my wit's end now. Could it be a dirty connection further upstream from the bumper?

Here was my bumper connection. Pretty clean I thought and dielectric grease in it.

20210825_130409.jpg

Is it giving you this message when hooked up to a trailer or anytime the truck is on? 

I had similar issues with our gooseneck cattle trailer and threw all three of those parts at the problem as well.

I did a couple more things to help resolve my issues.

When I got the service trailer brakes message, my trailer was blowing fuses under the hood. I had to dig into the trailer brake wiring and repair a couple wires and replace those fuses in the truck to make it go away.

Keep us posted...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

following, my 2015 lt 5.3 randomly throws the service trailer brakes up on the dash a couple times then goes away for a while(couple weeks) then does it again and stops again.

You have to pull the internal trouble codes to begin to solve this without throwing money away.  Get a subscription to the shop manual at AllDataDIY so you can use the trouble shooting guide.

• Like 1