Opinion on "must haves" for new built family/work truck

I would only get camper springs or the plow package if you really need it. While the ride is still acceptable with the heavier front springs, it is best with the standard springs if you drive lightly or moderately loaded. I have the camper springs on a 3500hd cclb srw gas, but now that I’ve driven it a while with my 2000 lb slide-in camper, if I was doing it again, even with a bit heavier camper, I’d go with the standard springs. 3000 lbs camper weight is about the point where I’d go with the camper springs.  Note that, with my 2000 lb load, the rear suspension has about 2 inches of travel left before the 3500hd rear overload springs engage, so my impressions of the ride would apply to a 2500. 

11 hours ago, Another JR said:

I would only get camper springs or the plow package if you really need it. While the ride is still acceptable with the heavier front springs, it is best with the standard springs if you drive lightly or moderately loaded. I have the camper springs on a 3500hd cclb srw gas, but now that I’ve driven it a while with my 2000 lb slide-in camper, if I was doing it again, even with a bit heavier camper, I’d go with the standard springs. 3000 lbs camper weight is about the point where I’d go with the camper springs.  Note that, with my 2000 lb load, the rear suspension has about 2 inches of travel left before the 3500hd rear overload springs engage, so my impressions of the ride would apply to a 2500. 

JR, it's good that you are enjoying your new truck and getting in some camping!  Question about your statement on the overload springs.  Do I understand correctly that even with your one ton camper in the bed the frame mounted pads are still not touching the top overload leafs that come on the 3500s?  Wow!  I would have thought you would have at least been putting at least a little pressure on the overloads.  The strength of the main leaf springs is no joke! 

Yes you understood correctly.  I looked at the frame pad clearance again just now. The suspension has about 1.5 inches more travel (capacity for more weight) before the overload springs contact the frame pads. It’s actually a little annoying because whenever I go over a large dip or bump and the suspension moves that much I hear a slight clunk when the springs make contact. 

My sticker payload is 4054 lbs, and the fender heights front and rear are equal with the camper on. Unloaded the rear is about 1.5 inches higher. 

The camper is pretty light compared to most because it’s a pop up. Factory says the weight with options and the tanks full is 1800, and I figure I have nearly 200 lbs of stuff in it. 

Edited by Another JR

4 hours ago, Another JR said:

Yes you understood correctly.  I looked at the frame pad clearance again just now. The suspension has about 1.5 inches more travel (capacity for more weight) before the overload springs contact the frame pads. It’s actually a little annoying because whenever I go over a large dip or bump and the suspension moves that much I hear a slight clunk when the springs make contact. 

My sticker payload is 4054 lbs, and the fender heights front and rear are equal with the camper on. Unloaded the rear is about 1.5 inches higher. 

The camper is pretty light compared to most because it’s a pop up. Factory says the weight with options and the tanks full is 1800, and I figure I have nearly 200 lbs of stuff in it. 

Nice looking rig!  I guess if your payload is 4054 then it makes sense that half of that wouldn't have you touching the overloads.  Would something like this help?  https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/TorkLift/TLA7202.html.  If you watch the video that shows the 2017 Chevy 3500 long bed it shows how they are installed and how they work.  

12 hours ago, 03 Cobra said:

Nice looking rig!  I guess if your payload is 4054 then it makes sense that half of that wouldn't have you touching the overloads.  Would something like this help?  https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/TorkLift/TLA7202.html.  If you watch the video that shows the 2017 Chevy 3500 long bed it shows how they are installed and how they work.  

Replying to my own post.  Who does that?!  JR, you might want to consider these as well.  I found these when looking through the comments of the Torklift pads.  They might solve your issue without messing with the overload system at all.  One benefit of these I can see is you won't be on your overloads as much which might help with the ride.  https://www.etrailer.com/p-TGMRTT35D.html#exp-productdetails=.reviews

On 9/29/2021 at 7:28 AM, Kjduvall said:

I have the x-factor synthetic leather and the fit is amazing. my truck is a reg cab so i only have front pics. I dont think you could go wrong with the neoprene covers either, vertex makes a high quality product. 

IMG_20210928_153336.jpg

IMG_20210928_161209.jpg

Were the original seats leather?

2 hours ago, 03 Cobra said:

Replying to my own post.  Who does that?!  JR, you might want to consider these as well.  I found these when looking through the comments of the Torklift pads.  They might solve your issue without messing with the overload system at all.  One benefit of these I can see is you won't be on your overloads as much which might help with the ride.  https://www.etrailer.com/p-TGMRTT35D.html#exp-productdetails=.reviews

The ride of the rear suspension is fine, particularly with the camper installed - I just don’t like the little clunk I hear when going over big bumps when the camper is on and it hits the overload springs. The front suspension (I have the camper springs, so one step up from standard) feels a little stiffer than the rear as I drive over anything that causes significant suspension travel, which feels a little “off” relative  to an ideally balanced suspension. I like the increased lateral stiffness to reduce roll, but it would be a better balanced suspension with the standard front springs. As I said, I think if I had 3000 lb in the back and was on the overload springs it would be balanced. 

These are relatively subtle feel issues that many people probably wouldn’t notice. The truck really does drive very nicely, and the increased roll resistance is nice if I inadvertently enter a curve too fast. It drives sort if like a giant 9500 lb sports car on windy paved roads. 

On 10/1/2021 at 11:47 AM, Another JR said:

The ride of the rear suspension is fine, particularly with the camper installed - I just don’t like the little clunk I hear when going over big bumps when the camper is on and it hits the overload springs. The front suspension (I have the camper springs, so one step up from standard) feels a little stiffer than the rear as I drive over anything that causes significant suspension travel, which feels a little “off” relative  to an ideally balanced suspension. I like the increased lateral stiffness to reduce roll, but it would be a better balanced suspension with the standard front springs. As I said, I think if I had 3000 lb in the back and was on the overload springs it would be balanced. 

These are relatively subtle feel issues that many people probably wouldn’t notice. The truck really does drive very nicely, and the increased roll resistance is nice if I inadvertently enter a curve too fast. It drives sort if like a giant 9500 lb sports car on windy paved roads. 

Understand.  Just thought those might be options that would prevent the pad to overload clunk.

Thanks. Both of those products would cause my overload springs to be engaged earlier, causing the truck with the camper to be on the overload springs when at rest. That would make the clunking occur less often, but would make the highway ride more stiff. I’d prefer not to do that. Maybe something like the stableloads but smaller to keep the gap and softer to make the contact silent. 

Edited by Another JR