14+ Silverado Supercharged 5.3L looking to add an intercooler

Going to add an intercooler (heat exchanger, aftercooler really doesn't matter what you want to call it that's not what the post is about). Option # 1 is to install an air to water intercooler kit that will bolt up about 80% complete but may need to modify one of the pipes. This kit is fairly expensive. Option # 2, which could be a more affordable option would be to add an air to air intercooler designed for the turbo diesel version.

My question regarding the air to air option is that I have no idea how different the versions are in front of the radiator. For example, I'm wondering if an aftermarket intercooler upgrade for the diesel would sit in front of the radiator just as it does on the diesel model or are there other components in the way/obstructing that are different? If this would work, the piping kit that comes with the intercooler looks like it would be able to pass through into the engine bay and I could use most of the piping and fabricate the rest. From what I can tell, the radiator is roughly the same width between the 5.3L and the 6.6L models. The 5.3 radiator is a little shorter than the 6.6 and there's a slight difference in thickness. The radiator outlet and inlet ports seem to be in the same spots.   

So I know this is a long shot, but if anyone knows if the front areas behind the bumpers are the same or very similar please let me know. I'm asking because I don't want to buy the air to air kit and then it's not even close. I know for a fact the air to water kit will work with minimal fabrication. The price difference is about $1k between the two before fabrication. The attached pics are for illustration. Vortech has the air to water kit for another discontinued model and the other pic is of an air to air set up for a diesel. Thanks!

01-04 Escalade_Denali Underhood.jpg

KIT-IC-DURAMAX66-16-CAR-7.png

Edited by rdy2rce

• rdy2rce changed the title to 14+ Silverado Supercharged 5.3L looking to add an intercooler

I think the Air/water is more efficient, the stock supercharger from the boosted Camaro has all this stuff ready to go, you might want to just source the Camaro LT parts instead of aftermarket stuff, GM has better engineering IMO

I would add the larger MaxTow radiator, that comes on the 6.2 trucks, its thicker and will outperform the 5.3 radiator, also an oil cooler would be smart.. not sure but is there a way to add oil piston sprayers to the 5.3 from say the LT5 motor?

Edited by pokismoki

Mushimoto makes an All alluminum high flow radiator, $1000. no plastic tanks on it which is nice if you need to repair it

if you use the 2500 HD front bumper this has more airflow to the radiator area also, but will cost more for the accessorie parts to make it work , unless you find one at a wrecker

Edited by pokismoki

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/2/2021 at 11:31 AM, pokismoki said:

I think the Air/water is more efficient, the stock supercharger from the boosted Camaro has all this stuff ready to go, you might want to just source the Camaro LT parts instead of aftermarket stuff, GM has better engineering IMO

I would add the larger MaxTow radiator, that comes on the 6.2 trucks, its thicker and will outperform the 5.3 radiator, also an oil cooler would be smart.. not sure but is there a way to add oil piston sprayers to the 5.3 from say the LT5 motor?

L83 has piston cooling jets..

• Like 1