HitchMate Grab Handle By Heininger - Anybody Use One?

21 hours ago, Mac-427 said:

I got my GM assist handle today.  The part number is 84726114 and it is described as an "F-HANDLE." I checked fit and the holes in my truck bed line up, but two of them are unthreaded.  I'm going to hit the hardware store tomorrow but would appreciate knowing what to use on the unthreaded holes to secure the handle.

I ended up using 8mm Nut Serts on the two unthreaded holes to match the 8mm threaded hole and they worked fine.  It's strange because the all the GM parts websites said the lever didn't fit my 2020 Silverado 1500 Custom while it did fit the GMC 1500.  My guess is that the Silverado has two unthreaded holes while the GMC has all three threaded.  Bottom line: The lever will fit Silverado trucks but you have to use Nut Serts on two of the mounting holes.  Accordingly, I bought a kit from Amazon that worked well and will be a great help in future projects.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081GDRTXP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Assist Lever-Closed.jpg

Assist Lever-Open.jpg

22 hours ago, Mac-427 said:

I ended up using 8mm Nut Serts on the two unthreaded holes to match the 8mm threaded hole and they worked fine.  It's strange because the all the GM parts websites said the lever didn't fit my 2020 Silverado 1500 Custom while it did fit the GMC 1500.  My guess is that the Silverado has two unthreaded holes while the GMC has all three threaded.  Bottom line: The lever will fit Silverado trucks but you have to use Nut Serts on two of the mounting holes.  Accordingly, I bought a kit from Amazon that worked well and will be a great help in future projects.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081GDRTXP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Assist Lever-Closed.jpg

Assist Lever-Open.jpg

Looks great.  Wish I could have used this solution on my LT.  FYI, I received the HitchMate Grab Handle and it works fine.  While it's advertised to work on either side of the tailgate, which I'm sure is true for some trucks, it can really only be used on the right side of my truck.  The bottom anchor point fits precisely over the fixed metal housing that the tailgate's hinge fits in, and does not place pressure on the tailgate that was a concern of an earlier poster.  If adjusted for use on the left side, the fit would be less than ideal, and would put pressure on the tailgate's pin that fits into the left side pin bracket, which is something I wouldn't want to do.  It's solidly made, and will make a great self-defense weapon against any antagonist (grizzly, bull moose, etc.).