Infotainment System

I have a 2021 Silverado and was wondering what happened to the browse media (usb) capability?  On my 2014 I was able to browse my music ( albums, artist, etc.) stored on my usb when driving.  On my 2021 I have to stop before I can browse/ change anything.  On the radio I can change/browse stations without stopping.

I asked the same question in a thread a few months back about my 21 Sierra 1500. It seems that there is a safety feature that disables browsing on the USB while the vehicle is in motion. So stupid - You can browse AM/FM, Spotify, Sirius, but not the USB??? It really sucks, because I have my entire music library on USB and cannot use it in my truck. I have mostly used Spotify these days to have the ability to browse.

Anybody tried loading the mp3's to their phone and browsing / selecting tunes that way? 

(todays phones have more than enough storage capacity to do this)

Edited by redwngr

On 10/9/2021 at 2:27 PM, Al Hall said:

I have a 2021 Silverado and was wondering what happened to the browse media (usb) capability?  On my 2014 I was able to browse my music ( albums, artist, etc.) stored on my usb when driving.  On my 2021 I have to stop before I can browse/ change anything.  On the radio I can change/browse stations without stopping.

I'm assuming this works the same as on my 21 Sierra.  If I tap the "browse" button it gives me a message saying the feature isn't available while driving.  But if I turn the right hand knob, it switches to the browse screen and lets me scroll through the entries by turning the know.  I can select entries by pushing in on the knob. 

5 hours ago, redwngr said:

Anybody tried loading the mp3's to their phone and browsing / selecting tunes that way? 

(todays phones have more than enough storage capacity to do this)

Yes, but I haven't gotten it to work that way.  But what does work is that if I use an Android Auto compatible audio app on my phone, I can use the App to play MP3's.  I have a Samsung phone and I've found that the Samsung Music app works.  I don't have any Apple products but I'm guessing carplay would work in a similar way.

But to tell the truth, even though I've made it work that way, this is one of the only things I've found where the built in functionality in the truck is easier i.e. putting my MP3's on an SD card and listening to them through that.

28 minutes ago, ratman6161 said:

Yes, but I haven't gotten it to work that way.  But what does work is that if I use an Android Auto compatible audio app on my phone, I can use the App to play MP3's.  I have a Samsung phone and I've found that the Samsung Music app works.  I don't have any Apple products but I'm guessing carplay would work in a similar way.

But to tell the truth, even though I've made it work that way, this is one of the only things I've found where the built in functionality in the truck is easier i.e. putting my MP3's on an SD card and listening to them through that.

I wonder why it works different from SD card than from a usb stick?

usb browse works fine when stopped, but 'not permitted' when driving.

As much as I would like to use my phone, the USB is much more convenient because of what it can hold.  My music folder is larger than the capacity on my phone (just under 80GB of tunes). I am still holding out hope that a future software update may change something, but probably not!