2014 chevy silverado 1500

I had a chevy dealership shop instal a new transmission not very long ago.  My 4wL gets stuck and take it back to shop where they initially say it's throwing codes for transmission. (Which is under warranty)    Of course it turns out codes are now saying transfer case.  They say my only options are to pay an outrageous ridiculous amount (equivalent to having brand new tranny installed) to either tare down n rebuild or replace transfer case. 

My question;  does the transfer case in 2014 chevy silverado 1500 get touched or handled in any way during the process of replacing a transmission?  

It all sounds and feels like they are trying not to assume any responsibility for potentially tampering with and effecting the transfer case because of course GM is refusing to cover under warranty.  

Well I want to refuse paying $3700 for what could have obviously been the shops mistake and should be thier moral obligation to fix.   

Take it to an Independent Auto shop or transmission shop you trust & have them look at it. May be a simple fix. Yes, the transfer case is attached to the back of the transmission & they would pull both to replace the transmission. Here's video showing it.

Chevrolet GMC Transmission Removal 6L80 6L90 4x4

Edited by rav3
  • Like 2

Thank you rav3 .   Yeah the shop says in my particular case they didn't deal with or touch the transfer case and I'd like to think now they were straight up lying to me.   A second opinion is in order if they don't figure out a way to fix what they must have tampered with and messed up! 

• Like 1

Transfer case is bolted to the back of the trans.  Must be removed to remove the trans however they would not have needed to open the transfer case.

So, they "touched" it, but nothing more than removing it and putting it on the ground, then back up in the truck after the new trans went in.

What codes do you have?  The 4x4 actuators are a common failure on 14-18 trucks so it might be something simple as that, which would not have been caused by the dealer R&R'ing the case.  

• Like 1