Weird noise wine / Howling 2011 2500 hd 6.0

I have a 2011 chevy 2500hd 6.0 just got new tires and now it sounds like the truck is whining and howling when going down the road whine sound when accelerating and like a deep howling during deceleration. 

It's not a tire howl. I'm going to try and post a video it sounds like it's right below the cab.

30 minutes ago, Preston1 said:

I have a 2011 chevy 2500hd 6.0 just got new tires and now it sounds like the truck is whining and howling when going down the road whine sound when accelerating and like a deep howling during deceleration. 

It's not a tire howl. I'm going to try and post a video it sounds like it's right below the cab.

I thought my front differential was howling, time for a new ring and pinion until I changed out the old KO2s for Michelin Defenders.

Might be time for some wheel bearing work.

Edited by swathdiver

Try turning back and forth at some speed. If you can hear it get louder when you turn one direction then you know which side to replace the hub on, the louder outside wheel. Or jack it up and grab top and bottom of tire and try to wiggle it. You'll feel if it is loose at all.

1 hour ago, richard wysong said:

wheel bearings won't change pitch on accel decell tho so probably not that. check the oil in the transfer case for metal. your description sounds like rear diff noise, probably a bearing

Nothing changed while doing the side to side test

time for a rebuild or are you going to change the whole thing? if you fix it it will need a new ring and pinion along with what caused the damage. once they make that much noise they will never be quiet again

I would verify the results before paying them $2500 for a diff. Shops like to replace expensive parts, and then when the problem is still there - they say: Oh, well you have two problems, not just one and they were both making noises. If you want to check the rear diff, drop the oil and look for metal. Or you can jack the rear end up and put the truck in gear to spin the axle and listen to the bearings with a stethoscope or just use the screwdriver to the ear meathead.