Need Advice on Aftermarket Cam Options

12 hours ago, shakenfake said:

One day is probably an exaggeration but I mean you are basically tearing down the whole engine to swap lifters etc. So yes it is a larger job but it is nothing crazy crazy

Also OP you are not going to get 500 out of just a cam swap. Don't worry about the tranny at all.

Yea, I figure I'd be lucky to get 70-80HP from breather mods and a stage 4 BTR cam.

your gonna be down awhile, you might as well ship the truck to a "profession tuning shop" and give em $10K to do it right without any hick ups.  luckily if you got a pre 2017 model truck the tuning is fast and affordable.

If all your aiming for is 500 hp and you pull the motor, better off buying a set of Katec cnc heads $500-$2500depending on your mods.  ,use what ever cam you like, and lt5 Throttle Body, e85 sensor activation, and stock manifolds ,  and tuning the engine/trans for the added power. this is a simpler option than aftermarket supercharger as tuning is easier . N/A induction upgrade you can getaway for awhile running the stock tune until you find a tuner.  not so much on the S/C. https://shop.katechengines.com/product/cnc-port-gen-5-lt1-l86-cylinder-heads-pair/  I would install 1 mm oversized Intake valve or larger..

blended heads with cfm flow numbers..https://shop.katechengines.com/product/cnc-porting-bundle-l83-cylinder-heads-pair/

only benefit i see with the supercharger is there is always more room to grow with power.   you also have to source the LT injectors, pumps, etc, etc....the list of parts is getting longer and availability durring pandemic and the EV transition, parts will be shrinking and harder to find Yadda yadda

search the forum for truck builds everything you want to do has been done and documented, this will give you a good map to follow .

Edited by pokismoki

After thinking about it more I will probably just do a stage 2 BTR cam and get a dyno tune honestly. I'm a utility truck type of guy, a blower would be cool but I'd prefer doing it to a 6.2 or performance oriented vehicle if bothering to make the conversion. I'm already in this 1500 for more than I'd like just for brakes, wheels, tires, steering, and suspension.

• Like 1

yeah I would just buy a 6.2 Camaro, trucks are utilitarian, heavy and cant handle for squat

you can still do simple factory mods, like the LT5 TB,  pull out the CAI baffle, install a airaid Jr.  delete 3rd cat, cut the flapper out, install 175 thermostat,retune cooling fans , and have tuner activate your e85 and Power enrichment tables. these alone are gonna make impressive power on stock induction

Edited by pokismoki
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, pokismoki said:

your gonna be down awhile, you might as well ship the truck to a "profession tuning shop" and give em $10K to do it right without any hick ups.  luckily if you got a pre 2017 model truck the tuning is fast and affordable.

Jesus, if you are dropping $10k to do this job you are doing something wrong.

18 hours ago, pokismoki said:

yeah I would just buy a 6.2 Camaro, trucks are utilitarian, heavy and cant handle for squat

you can still do simple factory mods, like the LT5 TB,  pull out the CAI baffle, install a airaid Jr.  delete 3rd cat, cut the flapper out, install 175 thermostat,retune cooling fans , and have tuner activate your e85 and Power enrichment tables. these alone are gonna make impressive power on stock induction

Taking notes on those things, thanks. Wish the search function on this forum was worth a spit, I'd have been all over this stuff already.

I figured it would be safe to estimate about $12-14K for a pro shop DOD delete and FI ballpark between the blower $6K, fuel pump $300, Katech oil pump $500, LT4 +30% injectors $2.5K, and custom tune $500-800. I already have the lifters and DOD delete kit purchased, which was around $1.3K, so I guess $10K for the blower job rings true to me if outsourced. Might be able to get away with dimpling the factory pump and shimming the valve, and/or getting secondhand injectors. I've never done aftermarket FI though, so I really have no idea.

I'm probably wrong and just erring on the side of bring enough to pay so I can play. I've heard folks doing a supercharger specific cam to grant better driveability as well, which I would like to avoid but have no insight on one way or the other.

Edited by Truckboattruck
  • Like 1

while ur taking notes, have tuner disable the TCC in 1,2,3,and4th gear, this mod alone feels like at least 10Hp from the feel of it.  stay away from the long tubes, as I feel this will raise the power band out of the lower rpm ,which is not good for a Towing truck.

I like the Katech  Blended heads with valve job, those make 50cfm over their l83 ported head.  add a bigger intake valve and you might gain 80-90 cfm on the intake side. 

I like simple things, less parts, simpler tuning the better

you got some research to do..  take into account the Variable cam system might need to be tuned in or locked out if you have too much lift. there have been guys who installed the big cam and didnt lock out the variable cam, only to chew up the valves in the head. more lift is also more pressure on valvetrain so milage and durability are reduced, might want to find a cam that hold the door open longer instead of opening the door further if you know what i mean.

Edited by pokismoki
  • Like 1

I was going to check out the L86 manifolds and throttle bodies, but didn't know the radiator could be swapped too. That's awesome.

Edit: I think I already have that spec rad as it seems to be one for the 5.3L Heavy Tow package, which I just bought a full aluminum version of to retrofit to my non-Z85 and preemptively replace my OEM rad.

Edited by Truckboattruck
  • Like 1