What’s the best tuner for 2011 Sierra 5.3 crew cab 4x4

Alright so I know all about the AFM/DOD issues, I’ve had to work on several buddies of mines trucks for them, but I’m looking to get my super low mileage truck some extra power and to be able to adjust multiple different parameters. I don’t really care if the thing has to be mounted to the windshield somewhere or not, or just plugs in, makes the changes and you unplug it. I’ve heard so many different brands. I want my truck to be full time V8, don’t care about fuel mileage, at some point later on I’ll do the AFM delete, but for now the tuner is the way I want to go. I can’t stand the sound of the truck in 4 cylinder mode, and where I live at I’m constantly going up hills, and when I go back down then and it kicks into 4 banger mode I wish it would just stay v8 all the time. Ok, so fellow tuners hit me with the best ones for 5.3, that offers possible tire size adjustments and a couple of other things. I know there is some crew cab 5.3 4x4 drivers out there who’s done it I just can’t get an answer on what several folks think on a tuner. Thanks a bunch guys and look forward to all the brands and what all they can do. 

• Like 1

This is a topic that has been covered a lot around here.

HP Tuners or EFI Live are going to be the most indepth tuners on the market, they will let you do just about anything you want with the allowed parameters in the computer. Both of these require lots of time to learn it and understand how the computer functions. If you want take the time to learn how to tune it yourself, those are the ones to look into. I use HP Tuners and have been for the better part of 10 years now.

Superchips, Diablo and others like that are more of a handheld tuner. They come with pre-programmed tunes and do allow for manual changes to very few things like tire size and gear ratio changes. But they do not allow for custom tuning where you control exactly what is changed. The two I listed above will let you do that.

Handheld tuners will not support a camshaft upgrade or things like VVT deletes (as far as I know). They can not make all the custom changes for mods like that. Idle airflow, idle timing, fueling changes and all of that stuff is not something they can do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CamGTP said:

This is a topic that has been covered a lot around here.

HP Tuners or EFI Live are going to be the most indepth tuners on the market, they will let you do just about anything you want with the allowed parameters in the computer. Both of these require lots of time to learn it and understand how the computer functions. If you want take the time to learn how to tune it yourself, those are the ones to look into. I use HP Tuners and have been for the better part of 10 years now.

Superchips, Diablo and others like that are more of a handheld tuner. They come with pre-programmed tunes and do allow for manual changes to very few things like tire size and gear ratio changes. But they do not allow for custom tuning where you control exactly what is changed. The two I listed above will let you do that.

Handheld tuners will not support a camshaft upgrade or things like VVT deletes (as far as I know). They can not make all the custom changes for mods like that. Idle airflow, idle timing, fueling changes and all of that stuff is not something they can do.

I almost wonder if going to HP tuners here locally would be cheaper in the long run than to pay for an all out tuner for it on the computer. I’m good with computers and doing tunes trying to justify that kind of money vs having them do it or buying one of the other well known brands. I like to be able to tune my own engines but buying this HP tuner software is it just software for the 5.3 or is it multi engine or multi vehicle compliant?

Just now, Lawman86 said:

I almost wonder if going to HP tuners here locally would be cheaper in the long run than to pay for an all out tuner for it on the computer. I’m good with computers and doing tunes trying to justify that kind of money vs having them do it or buying one of the other well known brands. I like to be able to tune my own engines but buying this HP tuner software is it just software for the 5.3 or is it multi engine or multi vehicle compliant?

Also one other thing I was really wanting to disable the AFM, and optimize the fuel economy somewhat. It does good when it’s in V8 mode anyways, but I’ll likely never upgrade the tires and I know gear ratios is something I’ll absolutely never do. It’s a daily driver with occasional towing. 

HP Tuners supports hundreds of vehicles. One device can tune thousands of cars. Everything is credit based with it. Each vehicle costs a certain amount of credits to tune, it's a one time fee and the vehicle is unlocked forever on that particular device.

https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/

Getting better fuel mileage with any tuner is going to be tough, there isn't any real magic tricks to getting better fuel mileage. Most if not all of it comes down to driving style. Or aerodynamic changes, weight savings to get better fuel mileage. Gas engines don't leave a lot on the table.

7 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

HP Tuners supports hundreds of vehicles. One device can tune thousands of cars. Everything is credit based with it. Each vehicle costs a certain amount of credits to tune, it's a one time fee and the vehicle is unlocked forever on that particular device.

https://www.hptuners.com/vehicles/

Getting better fuel mileage with any tuner is going to be tough, there isn't any real magic tricks to getting better fuel mileage. Most if not all of it comes down to driving style. Or aerodynamic changes, weight savings to get better fuel mileage. Gas engines don't leave a lot on the table.

I’m not horribly concerned about fuel mileage. I don’t drive far. I also don’t plan on changing the camshaft on this truck or anything wild unless it breaks. I have a Pro Mod car, and then also race a 86 Camaro with a 355 when I don’t feel like spending big money on the Pro Mod. Like I said I am just looking to deactivate AFM, and really I don’t have anything else I need to do because I’ve got an Autel for my DTC’s so financially would spending that kind of money be worth disabling AFM? Because the other brands the other guys use they use them for AFM, and a few other things but that’s it. I don’t plan on changing gearing, camshaft, or even the fuel economy. I get just as good of fuel economy in v8 mode in my truck than info in my full size SUV. If I’m not going to gain any power by adding on extra parts and am looking to just disable the AFM. Then financially speaking the HP tuners wouldn’t be cost effective if all I was doing was disabling AFM, because I’m not messing with fuel trim, gearing, cam degree, or anything else but shutting off AFM. My Autel will do the tire size, and if I wanted I could also do gear ratio. So really all I need is the best Tuner to disable AFM 

10 hours ago, Lawman86 said:

Alright so I know all about the AFM/DOD issues, I’ve had to work on several buddies of mines trucks for them, but I’m looking to get my super low mileage truck some extra power and to be able to adjust multiple different parameters. I don’t really care if the thing has to be mounted to the windshield somewhere or not, or just plugs in, makes the changes and you unplug it. I’ve heard so many different brands. I want my truck to be full time V8, don’t care about fuel mileage, at some point later on I’ll do the AFM delete, but for now the tuner is the way I want to go. I can’t stand the sound of the truck in 4 cylinder mode, and where I live at I’m constantly going up hills, and when I go back down then and it kicks into 4 banger mode I wish it would just stay v8 all the time. Ok, so fellow tuners hit me with the best ones for 5.3, that offers possible tire size adjustments and a couple of other things. I know there is some crew cab 5.3 4x4 drivers out there who’s done it I just can’t get an answer on what several folks think on a tuner. Thanks a bunch guys and look forward to all the brands and what all they can do. 

I'm a DIY kind of guy but LS engines were new to me, so instead of learning the hard way, I paid BlackBear Performance to tune my truck.  The transmission tune is my favorite part.  My motor is rated for 310 HP and after the tune puts down 307 RWHP through the traps in the quarter mile.  The tune is the only mod, still a paper air filter even but did replace the cats and y-pipe with a new aftermarket one.

Someday I'll get EFILive or HPTuners and start playing but glad I chose an accomplished expert to start with.

One other route to go is look into Black Bear Performance for a tune.  I think they use EFILive and tune with an Autocal.  I have had two vehicles done and love it.  Justin at BBP is really good and made a difference for me on my 2002 Silverado and our 2016 Suburban.  I converted it to Flex Fuel and he tuned it and turned on and tuned the FF table that GM already has installed on certain year model vehicles even if they don't come with FF capability.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/11/2022 at 4:02 PM, Black02Silverado said:

One other route to go is look into Black Bear Performance for a tune.  I think they use EFILive and tune with an Autocal.  I have had two vehicles done and love it.  Justin at BBP is really good and made a difference for me on my 2002 Silverado and our 2016 Suburban.  I converted it to Flex Fuel and he tuned it and turned on and tuned the FF table that GM already has installed on certain year model vehicles even if they don't come with FF capability.

Mines flex fuel compatible already I’m trying to figure out locally which would best tune it. I’ve mainly been looking at shutting off the AFM/DOD for a while I just can’t decide which way I wanna go. Either a tuner or have someone tune it.