2014 Silverado 5.3 L83 bad lifter

42 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

If you are already in it that far you might as well. Just going to cost you a little more in parts and time.

I highly suggest you buy new lifter trays on those engines.

I agree that replacing all of the lifters and trays has its advantages, and is probably the most recommended option. Since your in there, might as well change them out.

However, I have read a lot of reviews about replacing all of the lifters, and then it turns out that a good lifter gets replaced with a factory defective one, and it all has to come apart again to fix something that was not broken in the first place. "The new lifter fails after a week" type of thing.

When I did my lifter failure repair, I only replaced the one bad lifter and the lifter guide that it sat in.

My theory is that the other lifters have proven themselves over the last 200 million revolutions of the engine, and that if they had a defect, then I would have seen it by now. Don't fix it if it ain't broken type of thing.

Even as I write this, I can see the 51/49 that I thought long and hard about as I was doing the repair.

Its really up to you on what you replace. There is no correct answer.

On a side note, I would definitely NOT pull the head off the side that has no problems. Only pull the head that has a bad lifter, even if you plan to replace all the lifters on that side of the engine.

On another side not, there is a way to fix the lifter without pulling the head or replacing any parts.

You pull the VLOOM and use a special too that fits into the oil port that is between the VLOOM and the lifter itself. Tap on the tool, and the lifter pops back into the proper position. It doesn't work every time, but you should try it before actually puling the head.

Here is the link to the tool:

https://www.crazedperformancerepair.com/product-page/lifter-release-tool

Watch the video, its very informative.

Here is the video link: