AFM possible easy fix? Would this actually work?

I am always looking for new simple ways to fix things.

So how about this idea:

As you already know: When an AFM lifter fails - the lifter basically gets stuck in the collapsed position which makes the lifter shorter. The pushrod no longer actuates the rocker.

So what about this idea:

Pull the pushrod out, and replace it with a longer one. This would allow the collapsed lifter to actuate the rocker arm properly. It was also prevent the lifter from "un-collapsing" in the future.

In theory, that cylinder would begin to operate normally - and without a check engine light being triggered.

Obviously you would want to disable the AFM at that point, and the new pushrod would have to be the perfect length.

Maybe this would not work at all. In fact I assume that there is some major problem with the idea that I have overlooked - but that's why I posted this idea. What part of the equation am I missing?

Why would this "fix" not work?

s-l1600.png

img_2006-jpg.793353

gm_dod1.png

Edited by Supreme Pizza
  • Like 1

my concern would be that because with the system disabled the lifters are locked so if the lifter was ever able to uncollapse it would probably bend the valve or worse. also would the rocker still get oil thru the pushrod

On a side note - the heads have holes in them that allow the pushrod to pass through them. If they made those pushrod holes a little bigger, you could easily remove the defective lifters without removing the heads. Just pull the valve cover, pull the rocker arm, slide the pushrod out, and then stick a magnetic tool down the hole, and the lifter would come right out. Then just put the new lifter in, slide the pushrod in, install the rocker, install the valve cover and away you go.

Edited by Supreme Pizza

I love the ingenuity of what you're trying to do, but there's a small issue that would still exist.

You would essentially be creating a solid lifter to replace the hydraulic one. Making up for the overall travel by extending the pushrod. All that is fine.

The issue is presented when you have seven hydraulic lifters and one solid lifter. Technically, the oil is meant to pass through the pushrod to lubricate the lifter seat, and the lifter bore as well as provide oil for the hydraulic function. When going to a solid lifter, oil still passes to the lifter through the pushrod so the lifter bore is lubed properly. Another issue with this, is that as lifters wear over time, their ability to hold the same hydraulic pressure fades, but even more so, the speed the pressure hits its maximum takes longer and longer. RPM causes the same event at times, and in a severe enough instance will cause valve float.

All of the above is minimized due to all lifters being hydraulic. They each have a small about of give and take depending on several variables. If you have one that's solid, there's no longer an operating range, instead it becomes 100% static. That may not cause any major issues for quite some time. If nothing else, I can't imagine it not making a ton of noise.

I'm not saying it can't be done, and I'm sure someone will jump on here saying I'm completely wrong, but I would not recommend doing it. Especially when all you have to do is turn AFM off ahead of time to prevent having the issue at all.

Just my two cents.

How about using a made for the job standard hydraulic lifter?

I read GM is being sued over this, there is a Youtube on it. It's title is something about wrecking GM and running them out of business. I don't think we can let that happen. The country needs GM and we need GM's employees working, investing, paying taxes, and voting.

1 hour ago, dna9656 said:

How about using a made for the job standard hydraulic lifter?

I read GM is being sued over this, there is a Youtube on it. It's title is something about wrecking GM and running them out of business. I don't think we can let that happen. The country needs GM and we need GM's employees working, investing, paying taxes, and voting.

GM is not going anywhere. They will be around for a long, long time.

If they go bankrupt.... AGAIN.... the government will give them free money to help them out.

For example:

The U.S. government lost $11.2 billion on its bailout of General Motors, according to a 2014 government report. The government invested about $50 billion to bail out GM as a result of the company's 2009 bankruptcy, and at one time held a 61 percent equity stake in the Detroit-based automaker.

So if they make sh1tty cars and go bankrupt - they are rewarded with $50 billion dollars.

So they get the same pay, regardless of the quality of their work.

If you do really really well - then you don't get that free handout because you don't need it.

By that logic - why work harder? Why strive to be the best?

Edited by Supreme Pizza
  • Thanks 1

Pizza, the government has no money of it's own. The "investments" were made with OUR money, money that was just printed up and caused (along with the pandemic bale out also funded with printed money) the crazy inflation we are enjoying now. It's the highest rate in 40 years; I guess it's pretty hard to beat democrat Jimmie Carter.

I asked my Federal rep. where the money was coming from and of course didn't get an answer, just more ideas to fund more crazy things.