2022 Silverado Shut off in traffic (not auto stop)

My refreshed 2022 Silverado RST shut off today after a long 3 hour trip for work. It turned off after hwy traffic came to a full stop.

My AC was on because Houston. So it's my understanding the Auto Start / Stop feature doesn't engage while AC is on. However even if it was the auto stop it didn't turn back on when I let go of the break. I had to turn the truck back on with the start button and put it back in Drive. 

It did turned right back on with no issues or check engine light or any other light. Also when it shut off, everything stayed on, infotainment, radio. 

It's almost like a Auto Start / Stop glitch. 

It will turn off even when the AC is on, just not as frequently as if the AC is off.  Your understanding of that was incorrect.  However, it should've come back on when you either released the brake peddle, or put the truck in P.  Sounds like there may be a "glitch".  Refreshed model tells me it's new.  It has been my experience with several GM's that "electrical gremlins" can exist after a few thousand miles.  In my experience, after you have 5,000 miles on the odometer they should not happen anymore, although I've had it occur at least once after the 5,000 mile mark (but not too far after that) with my 2020 Silverado and it (cross country drive, crossing down SB I-15 into Baker, CA, cruise control set while going downhill, ESC Traction Control, CEL, and limp mode) never repeated itself after that.

If you'd like to avoid future possible occurrences you can just turn off auto start/stop when you get into the truck each time.  I think there's an aftermarket device you can buy to shut it off permanently, but I don't have any info on that. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice. Trust me I will make it a habit to turn off the Auto Stop button from now on every time just to make sure it's not related to that.

It happened so fast and traffic started to move that I didn't pay attention if the Auto Off light turned on. These new ones have a green light in the digital cluster when it shuts off because of auto stop. 

A buddy of mine who's a GM tech for many years also said these new trucks will have these type of strange issues sometimes. His advise was not to take it in to the dealer unless it's a repeating issue. 

10 hours ago, EdGMC2014 said:

My refreshed 2022 Silverado RST shut off today after a long 3 hour trip for work. It turned off after hwy traffic came to a full stop.

My AC was on because Houston. So it's my understanding the Auto Start / Stop feature doesn't engage while AC is on. However even if it was the auto stop it didn't turn back on when I let go of the break. I had to turn the truck back on with the start button and put it back in Drive. 

It did turned right back on with no issues or check engine light or any other light. Also when it shut off, everything stayed on, infotainment, radio. 

It's almost like a Auto Start / Stop glitch. 

FWIW, I bought my '21 RST in October and had it about a week when it did this same thing.  It only did it once, and I have had no issues since.

• Thanks 1

Sounds more like it stalled.  Did you buy some suspect gas from somewhere in your travels.  I know with fuel prices people are hunting more for cheaper gas but not all stations are the same. IE bad gas or water.

I bought budget gas once and my new truck at the time in 07 became a stall machine.. I treated the gas and drove it all out in a day and put better stuff in.

7 hours ago, Muddturtle1231 said:

FWIW, I bought my '21 RST in October and had it about a week when it did this same thing.  It only did it once, and I have had no issues since.

That's what I'm hoping for. Thanks for your input. Actually makes me feel better.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I had the same issue happen twice already. My truck is the 2022 Silverado RST with the Duramax engine. Took to dealer and all they said they could not duplicate. Service adviser did tell me to just always turn off the feature but I kinda disagree. I hate the feature but GM should allow customers to easily deactivate permanantly and not everytime you drive it. We pay for a feature that is mandatory so they should make sure it works.

Edited by Daniel54

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I guess the auto shutoff and fail to start when you let up on the brake is common. My 2023 LTZ with the 3.0 did it a few times right after I bought it. After a trip back to the dealer for a different start issue and battery change the auto stop start issue hasn't been back.