L83 5.3L Oil Leak at Front

I'm looking for some opinions as to what the source of my oil leak is. 

The timing chain cover is covered in black oil residue and gunk goes up under the water pump as well.  It's also black and oily down around the crank front seal.    

I'd think a front crank seal would be easy enough, but R&R the timing cover would be a bit more work, I would think. 

Any ideas?

The worst of the oil seems to be low and on the passenger side of the crank (pic 1).  Above the crank (pic 2), is somewhat drier.

Are there any oil lines along the passenger side of the engine to the front cover?

oil leak 1.jpg

oil leak 2.jpg

Edited by Spurshot

Without pictures I will just say "yes".

The best thing for you to do would be to buy a can of degreaser from the parts store, I like the foamy stuff. Let it sit on a cool engine for a little bit, spray it down a few times and then hose it off. I suggest doing this in the street because you're driveway won't like it. See how clean you can get and start watching where the leak is coming from over a few days/week or so.

If it's slinging the oil like you say, the front seal is a likely source of the problem.

13 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Without pictures I will just say "yes".

The best thing for you to do would be to buy a can of degreaser from the parts store, I like the foamy stuff. Let it sit on a cool engine for a little bit, spray it down a few times and then hose it off. I suggest doing this in the street because you're driveway won't like it. See how clean you can get and start watching where the leak is coming from over a few days/week or so.

If it's slinging the oil like you say, the front seal is a likely source of the problem.

I've decided to drop the skid plates and take it to the quarter car wash and try to clean that area up really well.  But I'll look it over really well before I clean it up.   It really looks like it's on the right side of the engine about level with the crank. If it was the crank seal, I'd expect it to be well distributed above, bottom and both sides.   I'd hate to find its leaking at the corner of the timing cover and oil pan.  

• 4 weeks later...

Cleaned it up yesterday.  Looks like I may have dodged a bullet.  The cam position actuator is leaking.  The residue in the pictures is from about 45-60 minutes of driving after a thorough cleaning.  At least that particular area.   Hopefully, that's all that's leaking.  I wouldn't want to have to pull the front cover.  It would lead to a AFM delete/cam/head work project.

20220610_055754.thumb.jpg.a594013a93d1f8277b2f2a8b0a6d38fb.jpg20220610_055741.thumb.jpg.a95c1aad6ccae52f9be08fb06f4813e9.jpg

Diffficult to see, but the slight discoloration below the cam actuator is fresh oil.  It's an $8 seal from the dealership.  I'll get one today, if it's in stock.  A GMC dealership quoted me $5000 to fix this leak.  

Edited by Spurshot

52 minutes ago, 16LT4 said:

FWIW, I had an oil leak last summer that was due to the sensor that is above the cam area, the oil pressure sensor IIRC.  Some engine oil dye located it.

My cover just has the cam position sensor to the right and the other (crank?) sensor to the lower left.  I've been looking at them, but don't see any signs of leaking.

The cam position actuator comes out easily.   I'll stop by the local dealer this morning for the O ring.20220610_065245.thumb.jpg.2ffe3d02f528781200645cb6e7fe24fe.jpg20220610_065204.thumb.jpg.45433a87fb45d7a58fc337bc8cdd1a7a.jpg

• Like 1

The old O ring had lost its resilience.  It was about .030" thinner than the new one.  

20220610_094335.thumb.jpg.b79b372b7eaab5a940a85b099dae10f4.jpg20220610_094500.thumb.jpg.7aec2c6c69270475c3c8d72cd773deb0.jpg

All buttoned up and test drove for about an hour.  Looks dry. 🙂

20220610_114100.thumb.jpg.5eb075d400205174423bcad629d2c805.jpg

BTW Autozone store brand degreaser spray works really well.  I think it's the same as Gunk (diesel & kerosene).

Edited by Spurshot
  • Like 2