Full load 6.2 at4 Rental returned, picked up Custom 2.7, initial impressions.

6 hours ago, 4banger said:

the gmc had leather seats and so felt a little firm, held your height better, but similar seats as gms for long time, base a little short on the thighs, the custom seats sink into them a bit further as your ass warm up the foam, I find I'm not as comfortable in the custom as the gmc yet, the gmc had leather dash that rental company wiped down with something way too shiny, bad reflection off windshield, hit that with a warm cloth only keep that glare down be my suggestion, but yes the new interior and screens for days, pretty luxurious, sunroof etc., softer materials everywhere, door, steering wheel, very nice truck, luxury truck guys will be happy, I'm quite happy with the chev so far, I love that basic utilitarian interior, we're tough on stuff so ideal for us, can come back from hunting and fishing and not feel as though we need to clean it anywhere lol, the custom is as comfortable as my 2013 suburban ltz was and it was leather loaded, still not as comfortable as my basic jeep gladiator seat though and the gmc is a little better I think due to firmer seat foam and or leather making it seem firmer?

thank you for the reply!

• Like 1

Thanks for the review on the 4 banger, 4banger! I had a bad experience with a turbo engined truck (Ford ecoboost) and that's why I went with the 5.3L V8 in my Chevy. I'd love to know how these new turbo four engines do past 100K miles and beyond. They're just too new. We'll be on electric engines probably by the next time I buy a new truck though.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 9:41 AM, BossTaco2020 said:

Thanks for the review on the 4 banger, 4banger! I had a bad experience with a turbo engined truck (Ford ecoboost) and that's why I went with the 5.3L V8 in my Chevy. I'd love to know how these new turbo four engines do past 100K miles and beyond. They're just too new. We'll be on electric engines probably by the next time I buy a new truck though.

Yes time will tell, a few things made the risk to get in early worthwhile time me. 1. It passed same durability testing as the v8’s. 2. It’s been out for 3 years and no apparent flies on it. 3. The right ‘truck’ configuration, long stroke, inline, single turbo. 

I couldn’t get excited about the fords enough to buy but thanks to them and buyers like you as the first through the wall getting bloody we now have this option and dodge will have an option soon also. One of these should turn into a legend and my money is literally and figuratively on the gm option. 

As for electric future, sure, around towns and decent climates but the gas/diesel will always be available at least in the next 50 years as they simply can’t pack as much energy as quickly into same space as the liquids. Not sure how long it will take to get a truck to go 300 miles at -35c with a couple thousand watts of heating needed full time and then put two gerry can size batteries that will give 100 plus miles each in box (where it’s cold) and then once 500 miles traveled and get to fuel up station better be able to fill up truck and two fuel cells inside 30 minutes and be able to go do another 500 miles again. Until battery’s and electric tech can do that, if ever, there’s not a chance on full electric future, too much of this continent can’t survive without the 2nd most plentiful and regenerating fluid on earth next to water. Don’t buy into the Rockefeller lies that it’s Dino juice in limited supply...just one of the big ole lies being revealed as we speak.😉

Edited by 4banger
  • Like 3

On 6/22/2022 at 2:58 PM, 4banger said:

the 6.2 has 62 more hp but 22 ft/lbs less torque and the 2.7 is 530 lbs lighter...so far it feels like that would be a surprising race.

I'm not sure where you got your numbers, but Chevrolet's website says the 2.7 has:

• 310 hp [231 kW] @ 5600 rpm
  • 348 lb-ft of torque [471 Nm] @ 1500 rpm

And GMC's website says the 6.2 has:

• 420 hp [313 kW] @ 5600 rpm
  • 460 lb-ft of torque [624 Nm] @ 4100 rpm

That's a difference of 110 hp and 112 tq, both in the 6.2's favor.

Regardless, I'd like to see what you thought of the 8 speed vs the 10 speed transmission. I've heard the 8 speed is garbage, but  have no first hand experience.

15 hours ago, HK_Crew said:

I'm not sure where you got your numbers, but Chevrolet's website says the 2.7 has:

• 310 hp [231 kW] @ 5600 rpm
  • 348 lb-ft of torque [471 Nm] @ 1500 rpm

And GMC's website says the 6.2 has:

• 420 hp [313 kW] @ 5600 rpm
  • 460 lb-ft of torque [624 Nm] @ 4100 rpm

That's a difference of 110 hp and 112 tq, both in the 6.2's favor.

Regardless, I'd like to see what you thought of the 8 speed vs the 10 speed transmission. I've heard the 8 speed is garbage, but  have no first hand experience.

Well until you reminded me about the transmission difference I think the best way to put it is if there’s a difference I didn’t notice it over the difference between the motors. The 8 spd turns 1900 rpm at 80 mph in 8th on the 275 60r20’s with 3.42’s. Does about 1750 rpm at 75 mph and 1550 rpm at 68 mph. More than enough gears. I’m used to 6 spd manual and wish that’s what i could always drive. I’m probably not the best to ask about the transmissions but it's funny that I didn't notice anything or think anything differently in that regard from the 6.2 - 10 spd vs the 2.7 - 8 spd.

I have to think back a bit to see if I noticed anything on the 10 spd...maybe a couple semi-firm shifts at intersection slow down? grasping at straws really, and I've noticed a couple firm shifts from the 8 spd at intersection slow downs. That would be about it, I came from 6-speed manual gladiator so not a fan of auto's and trying to get used to them again, but both gm's seem very seamless going up and down through the gears as to barely notice anything, they both have linear almost 1 gear like motion, can hardly feel shifts, radio off and moderate driving habits you can hear them slightly but it's overall a very linear experience. Time will tell.

The best set up transmission I've had to date was the 2014 ram pentastar 8-spd, it had no shift issues but most importantly it was so well tuned from foot to brain interface it was perfect, so that's a high bar to reach imo. I thought gm partnered up on that 8 spd and dodge simply programmed it better and gm's got the 2nd gear clunk?

Anyhow, a couple firm down shifts so far keeps the pentastar 8 spd still the number one set up I've ever driven, this 8 spd though seems fairly well programmed and all the torque doesn't seem to matter much so would hide imperfections in the tuning but I do still find gm asks too much effort from the skinny pedal and doesn't quite match the brain/foot interface as intuitively is it should. It was really bad in my 2013 suburban...I believe gm is the reason those pedal commanders exist lol. Still appears they can't quite perfect that input range, but this new turbo is good enough I think I'll live with it, the 6.2 seemed like is needed more input than the turbo to me so would likely consider a pedal commander for the v8 if had gone that route. I hate that lazy gm interface to the skinny pedal, I have about 6 gm-ism's that I hate and one is in the top 3. I may list those elsewhere some day perhaps. But I don't think the transmission can be blamed at for what I feel is this delayed response or unwillingness to go. Hope that rambling makes some sense. 

The 2022 refresh 2.7 has 430 ft/lbs torque. They added another couple pounds of webbing to the block, stiffer crank and some better bearings. Rating is now at 3000 rpm vs the 2019-2021 rating at 1500-4000 rpm.

Edited by 4banger