Looking for help on airbag compressor installation

This is the system I'm putting in.  The buttons on the controller don't work anymore and can't get a replacement.  So I'm going to cut the controller off and add a digital bag pressure guage and a switch to air up and down the bags.  I can't figure out how to add the switch.  The switch I guess is a 3 position momentary switch that defaults in the middle and you have to hold it to either side.  I assumed that one way will inflate  and the other will deflate as it came with the guage package.    I got the guage to work.

Screenshot_20220711-162614_Word.jpg

i am not familiar with your system.

Will the compressor run only when you want to increase the bag pressure?

Where/how is the air exhausted to lower bag pressure?

Does the solenoid allow the pressure into the bag, or is it there to exhaust air?

Is there a check valve on the compressor discharge to prevent air leakage back through the compressor?

32 minutes ago, cwtech said:

i am not familiar with your system.

Will the compressor run only when you want to increase the bag pressure?

Where/how is the air exhausted to lower bag pressure?

Does the solenoid allow the pressure into the bag, or is it there to exhaust air?

Is there a check valve on the compressor discharge to prevent air leakage back through the compressor?

Yes the compressor only runs when you increase the bag pressure.  The air is exhausted from the air solenoid.   It is to exhaust the air pressure.  The check valve for air is that block.  The air from the compressor comes from the bottom and into the left and right ports atbthe top to the airbags.  The others a pressure sensor that tells it when to shut off at the set pressure.  But that all doesn't work anymore.  I need to be able to control it via the switch, thaya whatbi need help wiring it up.

Edited by tweeder01

There may be other ways of doing this, but this is what I would do.

A DPDT switch is available in toggle-switch style or rocker-switch style.    ...There will be six terminals and they may be screw terminals or push-on or solder type.

The reason for using a Double Pole Double Throw switch instead of a Single Pole Double Throw Switch (SPDT) is by wiring it as shown, you increase the life of the switch and add durability.

The switch needs to be DPDT  MOMENTARY (it returns to the center position when you release it) CENTER-OFF (no continuity to either pole).   ....There are lots of sources online.  ....Look for at least a 15 or 20 amp rating.  .....Price will be anywhere from $5 - $20 depending on what you choose.

Moving the switch one direction will activate the compressor.  ...Moving the switch the opposite direction will activate the solenoid valve.

41z4AcqkEpL.jpg41n8lSyCShL._AC_.jpg

Air Bag Wiring - jpg.jpg

Edited by cwtech
added info

• 4 weeks later...

i left everything plugged in as it was in the previous truck that was working for reference.  the solenoid has two wires, which is which?  I know the diagram shows one to ground and the other to the switch, right now the volt meter shows both have 12 volt power.

EDIT:  both wires show power when they're plugged in making a loop.  only one has power when both wires disconnected.

Edited by tweeder01

On 8/13/2022 at 8:04 PM, tweeder01 said:

i left everything plugged in as it was in the previous truck that was working for referenceThat is your problem!  ....I don't believe you can use your present gauge or switch, as they are part of the control panel.

....The white wire from the solenoid needs to be separated from the old wiring and connected to ground.

8 minutes ago, cwtech said:

i'm using the wiring harness for ease of use as its all there with connectors.  i cut off the controll unit and was using those wires to add in the new guage and switch.  ok so ill figure out a way to ground that white wire.  Any reason it wasn't grounded from the get go?

Edited by tweeder01

16 hours ago, tweeder01 said:

Any reason it wasn't grounded from the get go?

It was grounded through the old connections somewhere - possibly in the controller.

Your original wiring schematic was not detailed enough to know.

• 1 month later...

Well I made the air compressor turn on with the momentary switch but couldn't figure out how to air it back down by pressing the switch the other way.  Come to find out that the digital air guage I bought is off.  I tried wiring it to the existing pressure switch there but it wouldn't read it.  So I installed the one that came with it but it was quite off.  At 10 psi the guage read 0.  At 30 it was 21.  

Can I piggyback on your thread with a question?

I have an ARB dual compressor that I would like to use for my airbag setup. Would it be easier/more cost effective to just buy the purpose built system rather than try to adapt my current compressor? Wiring is my thing, solenoids and all that is not.