2021 Sierra Lifter Issue

2021 Sierra 1500 Denali

5.3 V8

21k miles

I was driving my truck into work last Tuesday... As I make my last turn, it feels like my engine gives out and I receive "Service Parking Brake", then I get a "Service ESC" shortly thereafter. Engine light also came on.  I was able to limp my truck up the hill and in to the parking lot. The truck was making some serious noises and I could feel the loss of power. No previous symptoms or hint this was coming whatsoever; sort of reminded me of when my timing belt went on Christmas Eve (87 Integra) way back in the day...

I called the dealer right away and let them know what happened. I explained that I could not drive it to them and they recommended calling GMC Roadside Service. I let tehm no that I would need a loaner, but was told they did not have anything for me. I did some bitching and complaining, and 30 minutes later, they had a loaner for me. A three year old Buick Encore that was not fun to drive!

After trying Onstar and told they could not help because I am not registered to their plan, I called roadside and get the automated BS which suggested I use the app. Hung up and tried the app - The app sucks, so I called them back and eventually got a human after 15 minutes - damn glad it was not a true emergency. Anyway... 30 minutes later a flatbed had arrived. I asked they guy if he had enough room or if I should back up the truck to make it easier to get it up on the bed. I started it up and put it in reverse for about 10 feet and I can smell oil, started seeing some smoke - oh ******!

The dealer gets my truck in to the service bay the following day, but no word. I call back on Thursday and was told it was a lifter (same thing I found on my first Google search when it happened). I was then told that they would be disassembling the engine to get to all of the cylinders to see how much damage there was, and I should not expect another update until Monday.

Monday morning, I receive a call first thing to let me know that my truck was ready for pick up. Which means it was dine Friday and I could of had it for the weekend, but no big deal... As it turns out, two lifters, a push rod and gaskets were replaced. It sounds like one of the lifters was actually broken in two pieces.

All covered under warranty, so about $3300 to GMC. It seems there are a lot of trucks out their with or with potential to have this issue. No recall as of yet, but there is a service bulletin from GM to the dealers, and it sounds like they are covering the costs in most cases. I have seen cases that were as low as 3k miles, so every 2021 (maybe more) truck may be in play here.

Just wanted to give everyone a head's up on this - Good luck!

error 2.jpg

error 1.jpg

flatbed.jpg

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, 99NCAA said:

Round 2... Back to the dealer with the same issue just 2000 miles later. So pissed!

Truck.jpg.c159221c8eafb8ffa844f4d47c796ff7.jpg

Let me guess they changed only one side of lifters and now they get to tear it all down a second time to do the other bank?

2 hours ago, BIGDOGx said:

Let me guess they changed only one side of lifters and now they get to tear it all down a second time to do the other bank?

I was told that they took care of all the first time around... I mentioned it again this time and followed up with a formal complaint with GM and plan to file a lemon law complaint with the state of CT. Just getting my proverbial ducks in a row in case it happens outside the warranty period. I am trying to document as much as I can to protect myself down the road. Hopefully there are no further issues, but better safe than sorry!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quick Update... After two weeks, I got my truck back last week. As expected, the original repair only took care of one bank. They replaced all of the push rods and lifters on bank two this time, so I hope the issues are behind me. I filed my lemon law claim with the state of CT and I am awaiting a hearing date. I do not expect much to come form it, but what the hell? At a minimum, it may help if an issue pops up down the road when I am out of the warranty period.

On 10/6/2022 at 9:01 AM, 99NCAA said:

Quick Update... After two weeks, I got my truck back last week. As expected, the original repair only took care of one bank. They replaced all of the push rods and lifters on bank two this time, so I hope the issues are behind me. I filed my lemon law claim with the state of CT and I am awaiting a hearing date. I do not expect much to come form it, but what the hell? At a minimum, it may help if an issue pops up down the road when I am out of the warranty period.

Just like i thought, a stupid bone head directive by gm because of their crap part sourcing and availability issues. No doubt this issue should require both banks to be changed at the same time, not one. 

• Like 1

So what are our options if this happens out of warranty?  I am waiting to get mine back after 3 weeks and I am pretty sure they are only replacing the one side.  I really wish GM would come out and let us all know that it will be fixed at no charge if out of warranty.

2 hours ago, beneAT4 said:

So what are our options if this happens out of warranty?  I am waiting to get mine back after 3 weeks and I am pretty sure they are only replacing the one side.  I really wish GM would come out and let us all know that it will be fixed at no charge if out of warranty.

Yeah that is not happening. Maybe your powertrain warranty would cover it, not sure if that goes to 100k still but if out of warranty GM would most likely not give a dime.

Edited by BIGDOGx

• 1 month later...

Update: I have heard from the state of Connecticut and my arbitration hearing is set for Dec. 7th. In my claim, I have asked for a replacement truck, so we'll see what happens... Up until yesterday, I had not heard a thing from GM. Now that a hearing date is set, it seems they are trying to get in touch with me. Hmm, wonder why??? I have not spoken to anyone yet; just back and forth phone tag.