2022 Silverado 1500 High Country - ARC and Intellibeam Issues

Ken Rackliff

Question

Hello. New to this site. 

I bought a brand new (refreshed design) 2022 Silverado 1500 High Country back in May. The truck had adaptive ride control, and I wanted to put a lift kit on it, so I selected one specifically made by Rough Country for the 2022 1500 with adaptive ride control. I had the kit installed at around 400 miles. NO ISSUES for 2500 miles. Around 2500 miles, my Intellibeam and Forward Collison Alert Sensors stopped working while I was driving down the highway. I brought the truck into my dealer to diagnose the issue. They told me that there were like 20+ of the 30+ CPUs on the truck were failing it is all because of my lift kit…??? So they could offer no solution. 

I’m no GM tech, but I am an engineer, and to me this makes zero sense to me. The lift kit has zero electrical interfaces. It comes with brackets to adjust the ARC sensors to the needed geometry, the fact that the “lift kit” could cause failure of 20+ systems in the truck makes no sense. The guy even told me that the TPMS sensors will not program now either, and it’s all because of my lift kit. 

does anyone have any experiences with this? It seems like a cop-out to me to just say it’s because of the lift kit. In my option, something else is clearly going on. I did call Rough Country to ask if any other person had experienced similar issues, and they told me that they’ve been selling the kit for over a year (over a thousand of them) and I’m the only person that has called with this issue…

thanks in advance for any help!

C2BC1B22-ED01-4C51-B57A-F73CD3BEFBBF.jpeg

Unless communication or signal wires were pinched and shorted (Would've been evident the DAY the lift was installed), I find it hard to believe the install caused the computers to go down. GMs crappy engineering is more likely. 

I'd find another dealer for as many opinions as it takes to get this resolved. May even have to go up the food chain to corporate, eventually. I wish you luck through all that - GM SUCKS. If they can screw you and save a nickel, they'll gleefully do so. 

1 hour ago, Ken Rackliff said:

Hello. New to this site. 
I bought a brand new (refreshed design) 2022 Silverado 1500 High Country back in May. The truck had adaptive ride control, and I wanted to put a lift kit on it, so I selected one specifically made by Rough Country for the 2022 1500 with adaptive ride control. I had the kit installed at around 400 miles. NO ISSUES for 2500 miles. Around 2500 miles, my Intellibeam and Forward Collison Alert Sensors stopped working while I was driving down the highway. I brought the truck into my dealer to diagnose the issue. They told me that there were like 20+ of the 30+ CPUs on the truck were failing it is all because of my lift kit…??? So they could offer no solution. 

I’m no GM tech, but I am an engineer, and to me this makes zero sense to me. The lift kit has zero electrical interfaces. It comes with brackets to adjust the ARC sensors to the needed geometry, the fact that the “lift kit” could cause failure of 20+ systems in the truck makes no sense. The guy even told me that the TPMS sensors will not program now either, and it’s all because of my lift kit. 

does anyone have any experiences with this? It seems like a cop-out to me to just say it’s because of the lift kit. In my option, something else is clearly going on. I did call Rough Country to ask if any other person had experienced similar issues, and they told me that they’ve been selling the kit for over a year (over a thousand of them) and I’m the only person that has called with this issue…

Since you are no GM tech then you probably understand being an engineer doesn't matter in this situation (unless you are a specific automotive engineer?). Lets apply some common sense here. All those forward sensors use cameras and radar to determine points (probably some other types of waves being sent out too), what you did was alter those points. There has to be some leeway built in from the factory for towing and hauling as well as other parameters that might change during use but you pushed those readings to the edge where at times it is outside of the parameters and causes faults. I see companies mention needing calibrations to sensors when ride height is changed. Shoot, even changing the windshield and removing the reinstalling the camera needs a calibration to correct and change. Point is they are probably right, and it isn't a cop out. The response from RC sounds suspect, nope, never heard of this before; like they are going to say, yeah a quarter of the trucks have had issues sorry. 

Lifts affect everything, you have to pay to play (that is the cost for looking cool), it might just need a recalibration. Some manufacturers mention with their factory lifts that safety sensor (and non safety sensors) might need a calibration or they include it. I think the Trailboss kit does include calibrations, Toyota mentions maybe needing one and I am sure others as well. They don't want to assume liability in an accident because you put their sensors out of spec and it read wrong, they are covering their own ass it sounds like and I don't blame them.

BTW, did you only lift the front? How much? It looks nose high in the picture. 

16 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

GMs crappy engineering is more likely. 

Care to elaborate or is that just a childish rant? I am guessing you will be bringing up lifter failures and the whole 0.05% that have that happened and some rough shifting 8speed transmissions due to bad fluid? 

GM is well and known to build some long lasting and durable mechanical components, but today as with all manufacturers vehicles are ton more complicated and connected which leaves more room for errors. You see it with any brand you name that someone should switch to who yells "GM sucks". 

Either way until you can provide some legit broad examples that needed a recall due to design short comings (if there is no recall it wasn't that large of an impactful issue) then your statement is just flat out false; and solely of an opinion of someone who I am guess was upset with an outcome on an issue with a purchased vehicle and is now just here to troll and complain. 

Tyler

• Like 1

Among other things, the Warranty Act says that companies can’t void your warranty or deny warranty coverage solely because you use a part made by another company or because you get repairs done or other services from someone not associated with the company, unless the company provides the part or service for free under the warranty. Companies may, however, refuse warranty coverage for defects or damage caused by using third-party parts or third-party services.

Childish ... that's a good one!  Want some crapping engineering examples? Here ya go! 

AFM lifters - still junk 15 model years later! STILL FAILING!!

Valve springs that break and are impossible to see sometimes

Cam bearings that walk out of their bores (Shoddy machine work)

Half a million places to lose oil pressure

No dowels to locate the timing cover OR rear main cover

Stainless hardware on exhaust manifold flange studs that seize due to the clearance between the nut and stud, making drilling it out a NIGHTMARE FROM HELL

Exhaust manifold studs so close to the cats that nothing fits on one or 2 of them

Bellhousing bolts so close to the body you have to use non-impact sockets

Plastic EVERYTHING that breaks

ZERO quality control on interior fitment - squeaks and rattles galore!

Transmission that have endless issues depending on type, and are lucky to make it 100k miles

Spider gear that lose the tips of their teeth for no reason ... other than GM sourcing CHEAP chinese metals

Ball joints that can't even make it 40k miles on MA roadways 

Hub bearings  ... see ball joints - it's the same!

Brakes that pulsate with FORTY miles on the test drive odometer

4x4 switch that couldn't make it 2k miles

Oil burning at 50k miles

Front differential oil leaks at 50k miles

Would you like me to continue?

You got one thing right Tyler - they're ALL junk today! No question about that. GM is hands down one of the worst for the past 15 model years.

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, elcamino said:

Among other things, the Warranty Act says that companies can’t void your warranty or deny warranty coverage solely because you use a part made by another company or because you get repairs done or other services from someone not associated with the company, unless the company provides the part or service for free under the warranty. Companies may, however, refuse warranty coverage for defects or damage caused by using third-party parts or third-party services.

Technically they have to PROVE that the aftermarket part in question caused the failure of their part.

But, we all know how GM loves to weasel their way out of that one. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

I'd find another dealer for as many opinions as it takes to get this resolved. May even have to go up the food chain to corporate, eventually. I wish you luck through all that - GM SUCKS. If they can screw you and save a nickel, they'll gleefully do so. 

Probably won' get another dealer to touch it. Its bound to have been entered into the repair his what this dealer determined and no other dealer will want to touch it. 

• Like 1

You're probably right, but it's worth a shot anyway.

Here's a question for everyone ... what kind of piece of ****** loses 20 computers because of a lift kit??? :wtf:

• Like 1

They have the law on their side, you messed with it and they say you caused the issue.  Good luck fighting that because they will NEVER cave in.

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

Interesting and a good looking truck. It doesn’t look extreme. I see lots of trucks like this in my area. If it’s that easy to upset a Chevy. You could lose lots of business. Especially since many dealerships do this in house. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ken Rackliff said:

Hello. New to this site. 

Gonna play a bit of both sides here.  The dealer is "technically" not in the wrong on blaming the lift, but they aren't 100% right either. 

Any time a vehicle is brought to a GM dealer, the dealer is required to note all and any accessories installed on them, be it factory or aftermarket.  Aftermarket components typically get shotgunned as the ultimate "that's what is causing the issue" as they are...aftermarket.  It sounds like they could be taking the easy way out, unless they have 100% PROOF that the main point of what's causing the failures is from the lift install.  

"Technically" your lift kit does have an electrical interface because the suspension does.  The ARC sensor brackets as they are supposed to "correct" the ARC sensors so they read properly.  Is your kit a lift or is it just a level?  

The other thing to consider is that the camera systems are designed and programmed to work with stock ride height and rake as well as wheel/tire size from the factory.  Even if you installed the GM Trail Boss 2 inch lift, there is a camera reprogram that has to be done.  

Did they give you any sort of documentation with codes explaining what modules are "failing"?  If you don't, see if OnStar can send you the codes as they can scan the truck assuming you still have your trial or a plan.  I'm curious as to what codes are there.

Also, one other very important question.  What size tires was the truck built with?  What size tires do you have on it now?  

Edited by newdude

1 hour ago, Amcguy1970 said:

Care to elaborate or is that just a childish rant? I am guessing you will be bringing up lifter failures and the whole 0.05% that have that happened and some rough shifting 8speed transmissions due to bad fluid? 

Tyler

Just look at JSdirts post history for the last I don't know HOW many years.  Same bitter old story, still bitterly drives the same 2007 Silverado that he hates ever so much.  Its the same posts from him for years on here yet he doesn't $hit and get off the pot and buy something else that has the elusive zero problems that he so desires.  He still thinks they make the exact same 2007 truck he hates.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Why am I going to pay $65k to get what I have now, with MORE complicated and failure-prone electronic garbage? I'd have to be friggin STUPID! I don't get paid to work on my own crap. 

You're a friggin genious! I have tons of issues with a vehicle ... and your solution is to go out and buy another MORE expensive one. BRILLIANT!! 🤣

After 15 years, I've finally replaced a large percentage of all the failure prone GM crap on this thing. All that's left now is the engine. I'd be a fool to get rid of it now. My payments are ZERO, excise taxes and insurance are low. I've got it made in the shade. 😎

In fact, all 3 of my vehicles, and a motorcycle have ZERO payments.  Our '86 Grand Marquis is STILL on the original driveline. Even still running the ORIGINAL electric in-tank fuel pump! 291k miles!!

Now explain to me why the Silverado's driveline only lasted 97k?

Edited by Jsdirt
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jsdirt said:

Why am I going to pay $65k to get what I have now, with MORE complicated and failure-prone electronic garbage? I'd have to be friggin STUPID! I don't get paid to work on my own crap. 

You're a friggin genious! I have tons of issues with a vehicle ... and your solution is to go out and buy another MORE expensive one. BRILLIANT!! 🤣

After 15 years, I've finally replaced a large percentage of all the failure prone GM crap on this thing. All that's left now is the engine. I'd be a fool to get rid of it now. My payments are ZERO, excise taxes and insurance are low. I've got it made in the shade. 😎

In fact, all 3 of my vehicles, and a motorcycle have ZERO payments.  Our '86 Grand Marquis is STILL on the original driveline. Even still running the ORIGINAL electric in-tank fuel pump! 291k miles!!

Now explain to me why the Silverado's driveline only lasted 97k?

My brother in law usually puts 300k on GM SUVs and trucks. His daughter is driving a Yukon to college with 290K his truck has 200K. He replaced the Yukon with a Tahoe for his wife. The daughter graduated he ordered a bronco for her graduation gift. He’s keeping the Yukon. The reason the Tahoe is a 2013 that periodically shows the check engine light now nearing 100K miles. I cautioned him about the cylinder deactivation. If it does fail it will be his last. He’s the reason I had no problem buying my old Avalanche. His wife wants to trade. She loves the Avalanche. She can keep the 2013. I don’t want it.

Edited by KARNUT
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2022 at 12:07 PM, Ken Rackliff said:

Hello. New to this site. 

Earth to Ken?  Others keep de-railing this thread and its getting old.

Gonna re-post my post of questions in case you haven't seen it:

Gonna play a bit of both sides here.  The dealer is "technically" not in the wrong on blaming the lift, but they aren't 100% right either. 

Any time a vehicle is brought to a GM dealer, the dealer is required to note all and any accessories installed on them, be it factory or aftermarket.  Aftermarket components typically get shotgunned as the ultimate "that's what is causing the issue" as they are...aftermarket.  It sounds like they could be taking the easy way out, unless they have 100% PROOF that the main point of what's causing the failures is from the lift install.  

"Technically" your lift kit does have an electrical interface because the suspension does.  The ARC sensor brackets as they are supposed to "correct" the ARC sensors so they read properly.  Is your kit a lift or is it just a level?  

The other thing to consider is that the camera systems are designed and programmed to work with stock ride height and rake as well as wheel/tire size from the factory.  Even if you installed the GM Trail Boss 2 inch lift, there is a camera reprogram that has to be done.  

Did they give you any sort of documentation with codes explaining what modules are "failing"?  If you don't, see if OnStar can send you the codes as they can scan the truck assuming you still have your trial or a plan.  I'm curious as to what codes are there.

Also, one other very important question.  What size tires was the truck built with?  What size tires do you have on it now?  

Edited by newdude

4 hours ago, newdude said:

Earth to Ken?  Others keep de-railing this thread and its getting old.

No one is forcing you to stay, fella. I'm sure the guy can read. He's an engineer. 😂

• Like 1