Oil change whine

7 hours ago, 20silverado20 said:

I usually change the oil every 5,000-6,000. Its made the noise since the very first change. Oil and filter were changed.  It doesn't go away if i change the filter. Its the same exact noise every time, its never quieter or louder.   After about a week it quiets down, then goes away until the next oil change

I hear it loud and clear in that video, drive next to a wall with the windows down and and it will amplify it. I have the same noise in my 6.2, no matter how many times i have had dealers look at it i got nothing but the it's normal routine.

From reading up here from the fact it does it while in park and varies with the throttle imo it is the oil pump, there was a post on here in the k-series forum a few years ago that these pumps can sometimes be noisey. Not saying this is definitely the issue but i have been chasing this noise for years now. I have also read that a bad torque convertor can create a whine type noise but i would think it would not do it while in park if it was that.

1 hour ago, BIGDOGx said:

I hear it loud and clear in that video, drive next to a wall with the windows down and and it will amplify it. I have the same noise in my 6.2, no matter how many times i have had dealers look at it i got nothing but the it's normal routine.

From reading up here from the fact it does it while in park and varies with the throttle imo it is the oil pump, there was a post on here in the k-series forum a few years ago that these pumps can sometimes be noisey. Not saying this is definitely the issue but i have been chasing this noise for years now. I have also read that a bad torque convertor can create a whine type noise but i would think it would not do it while in park if it was that.

Yea its definitely louder in a drive thru line next to the wall.. its very annoying.  Im thinking the oil pump as well, oil pressure does sit a little low (for my liking) at idle.  if the guage is correct.  The motor is noisy as well, alot of ticking from top and bottom end. i was told it normal, they used noisy pumps and they all sound like that 🙄   i might change oil brands and a better filter to see if anything changes,  if not i guess im stuck with a 2020 truck that sounds like a 95 cavalier. 

44 minutes ago, 20silverado20 said:

Yea its definitely louder in a drive thru line next to the wall.. its very annoying.  Im thinking the oil pump as well, oil pressure does sit a little low (for my liking) at idle.  if the guage is correct.  The motor is noisy as well, alot of ticking from top and bottom end. i was told it normal, they used noisy pumps and they all sound like that 🙄   i might change oil brands and a better filter to see if anything changes,  if not i guess im stuck with a 2020 truck that sounds like a 95 cavalier. 

Yes Direct Injected engines sound literally like a box of rocks at times, oil will not lesson that sound as it is the injectors firing away. This is common for most DI engines to be honest not just GM ones.

The oil pump noise though, while yes Diyer i have had 8 years so far relatively problem free engine wise, i have also driven other 6.2 and 5.3 trucks in my model range years that do not have this noise so not it is not normal for everyone.

On 9/23/2022 at 1:48 AM, 20silverado20 said:

I usually change the oil every 5,000-6,000. Its made the noise since the very first change. Oil and filter were changed.  It doesn't go away if i change the filter. Its the same exact noise every time, its never quieter or louder.   After about a week it quiets down, then goes away until the next oil change

If the noise was there from the start, its normal.  These oil pumps have made some different noises since they started using these dual stage ones in 2014.  

Also, stop changing your filter every other especially since you go 5-6K on the oil.  Filters are cheap, engines are not.  Guarantee its bypassing the filter which means contaminates are running through every oil passage and bearing since it won't be hitting the filter anymore.    

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2