In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Oil change whine

Did you use the correct viscosity, 5W-30 - 6 qts?  

Do you have a catch can installed?

Don't really see how the engine oil would do this, sounds more like transmission, engine driven accessories or vacuum leak. 

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 quarts with filter change is what I found. If you measure what comes out you could be under filing if it burned some oil.

Check owners manual.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It sat over night. I checked it before the oil change and was good on the dip stick. Thats why i put the exact amout that came out.   I didn't change the filter. I change it every other oil change.   Last time i changed it, it did the same thing. the filter was changed and it took right at 6 qts.    

19 minutes ago, 20silverado20 said:

It sat over night. I checked it before the oil change and was good on the dip stick. Thats why i put the exact amout that came out.   I didn't change the filter. I change it every other oil change.   Last time i changed it, it did the same thing. the filter was changed and it took right at 6 qts.    

Not changing the oil filter on an oil change and doing it every other change is a bad move, its only an extra 5 bucks or so. Filters should always be changed at every oil change and all that dirty oil in the filter is going right back in the clean oil.

Edited by Silverado4x4
  • Like 1

I agree, you are not doing the engine any good by leaving a used filter in place, its cheap insurance to   change the filter with every oil change. 

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 20silverado20 said:

WTF?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Leaving the filter isn’t something I would do. Depending on oil change intervals wouldn’t be a harm. According to the maintenance schedule from the original owner of my Avalanche. An older guy he changed the oil every 3K filter at 6K. If memory serves that was common practice back in the day.

• Like 1

People always amaze me. This concept of not changing the oil filter with an oil change seems to be common among some folks, even on my Hyundai forum. Of course you have the guy that has done this forever without an issue, the smart one.  The dirty oil in the filter mixing with the new oil doesn't bother me because it's a small amount. The oil filter has to have lost some filtering ability and why the people that do this haven't figured this out is beyond me. I will stop here before I say something that's not polite. While it makes no sense to me it's their vehicle.

• Like 1

At least he was honest and explained he didn't change the filter 😃. I agree changing out the oil filter should go hand in hand when doing an oil change. The whining noise must be a coincident and attributed from somewhere else.

• Thanks 1

It’s amazing to me that people try to fit other peoples experience into their box and become condescending. I learned my lesson in the exhaust thread. I couldn’t understand why people would spend big money on mail order exhaust. I happen to run into a very talented bender years ago. He made it look easy and was very affordable. I was astonished that everyone didn’t go extended. No one could be harder on vehicles than me. My experience was it was a no brainer. I lived in a bubble. I live in a vehicle friendly environment. People adapt to their environment and their own bubble. An open mind goes along way. I just pass on my own experience. This website awakening me to there’s more than one way to skin a cat. This guy just wants a question answered.

• Thanks 2

Guy A changes oil every 3K with filter.

Guy B changes oil every 7.5K with filter.

Guy C changes oil every 3K and skips the filter every other time.

Does the mean that guy B should be changing filters twice per OCI? 

:dunno:

When I was working with the wife's Terrain I often skipped filter changes do to the length of the OCI fuel dilution was forcing upon me. A filter has a service life and 'dirty oil' held in it is still 'filtered' dirty oil. That may not make much sense but consider that this same motor takes over 3 hours to drain those last 6 ounces of used oil during a filter/oil change. Most motors will. So...how long do you allow it to drain? He also hasn't said the length of his OCI, has he? Would it change minds IF his OCI is 2K miles and he is using a premium 10-15K filter? 

:lurk:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Trying to catch the sound on video and posting it would be the first place I would start in attempting to get answers to your problem.

Also I would be purchasing a mechanics stethoscope to narrow down where the sound is coming from.

Secondly, roasting the man isn't going to help him fix the issue. lol

Edited by jaxcam02
  • Thanks 2