Oil change whine

These new modern engines use technology that is hard on engines and oil so the oil filter is a critical part of the system. You often hear the phase "Its cheap insurance" from 3,000 mile oil change enthusiasts,   So changing the filter is cheap insurance in my opinion.   

• Like 2

Oil filter going 6000 miles isn't going to be the reason for the whine......but I can't help myself and ask would you like some cheese with that whine? LOL 

When you change the oil it's affecting something else that you are hearing and mitigates over the oil drain? 

Some basic filter theory for those who care. 

Liquid filters work by changing the direction of the fluid and " flicking off" the solids it can then hold. Liquid filters are most efficient when new.  Complete opposite of air filtration efficiency.  

When auto makers initially considered oil filters especially full flow versions they mistook bypass filtration and air filter theories for full flow thus the advice to change oil filters every other oil change. Engineering groups with poor QC/QA didn't clean up the books or ignored the newer knowledge and left those suggestions in place. 

Having said all that full flow filters are so inefficient it may not matter that much. 

Long drain oil filters just have more capacity to hold large particles. They don't generally filter more finely or hold a lot of stuff. They just can live longer to a spec.  Its kinda odd thinking but 3 things matter in full flow, life, capacity and efficiency.  

Bypass can filter a range and then allow almost anything outside of it to pass. A reason I don't run bypass filters. 

Centrifugal filters will separate additive package out of engine oils if well made and high speed.....LOL  

Your noise is related to the fresh oil vs used oil if noise abates after some time. 

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, 20silverado20 said:

It sat over night. I checked it before the oil change and was good on the dip stick. Thats why i put the exact amout that came out.   I didn't change the filter. I change it every other oil change.   Last time i changed it, it did the same thing. the filter was changed and it took right at 6 qts.    

What is your oil drain interval that you leave the filter on there?

Sorry, ive been on vacation.    It makes the whine when i change the filter also.  As for charging the filter every other time, its just something ive always done.. no real reason for it.   The whine sounds like a honda civic in reverse (if that makes sense) but a deeper sound.  It does it in neutral and while driving. No issues with the transmission.  It only does it when i change the oil.  The only thing i can think of is the oil pump.   The oil is Castrol gtx, and filter is ac delco if that matters

On 9/20/2022 at 5:37 PM, 20silverado20 said:

Sorry, ive been on vacation.    It makes the whine when i change the filter also.  As for charging the filter every other time, its just something ive always done.. no real reason for it.   The whine sounds like a honda civic in reverse (if that makes sense) but a deeper sound.  It does it in neutral and while driving. No issues with the transmission.  It only does it when i change the oil.  The only thing i can think of is the oil pump.   The oil is Castrol gtx, and filter is ac delco if that matters

How often do you change the oil vs. the filter in terms of mileage?  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, newdude said:

How often do you change the oil vs. the filter in terms of mileage?  

I usually change the oil every 5,000-6,000. Its made the noise since the very first change. Oil and filter were changed.  It doesn't go away if i change the filter. Its the same exact noise every time, its never quieter or louder.   After about a week it quiets down, then goes away until the next oil change

If it has done this from the first oil change and there have been no motor problems what's the issue? Curiosity? As I said, I would change the oil more frequently and use a better oil filter. If your curious enough switch to better quality oil, Amsoil OE would be my choice.