OIL CHANGES BE DAMNED

That picture reminds me of my brother’s first car and later mine. In 1975 my brother got a low mileage 68 fastback impala. A little old ladies going to church and grocery getter. Well documented dealer serviced and maintained. The car probably never saw 50 mph in its first 30K miles. Being car crazy and wanting to dig in. We put high jackers, cragers, and the got to have cut off twin glass packs. Next was the engine. The two barrel had to go. The salvage yard visit produce a 4bbl and intake. When the valve covers came off it looked like the picture above. Nasty. Even with 3K oil changes with GM oil at the time as documented. This didn’t deter all the abuse that a 17 year old could dish out. Two years later it ended up as my work car. Changing leaking valve cover gasket’s much to my surprise a clean engine. Our standard procedure was advanced timing to the point of pinging and almost always smashing  the go pedal to the speed limit. A little power braking wasn’t avoided. Unfortunately at 120k a no fault accident ended it’s road. Probably today at the heat these engines run on time oil changes is probably enough to keep gunk away. And synthetics. Our target temperature was usually 165 degrees. Today’s normal temperature was considered over heating if memory serves.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, diyer2 said:

VW VR6 MOTOR. NO INFORMATION ON IT.

I7vcdzM.png

Coolant ingress and fuels dilute will contribute to sludge too. Not to mention VW DI engines will do this normally with "approved" Castrol " synthetics" . 

• Like 1

https://www.autoweek.com/news/a1997851/vw-cover-maintenance-costs-sludge-damaged-engines/

[quote]

The engines were prone to oil sludge from coking deposits even when maintained according to the automaker's recommended maintenance intervals and oil-quality specifications, court documents show.[/quote]

Edited by elcamino
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

VW has recommended 10k oil changes for a long time and most stick to it that go to the dealer for oil changes.  Like Customboss stated, the Castrol is what they use, at least the ones here do. 

Would be interesting to see a UOA on this one.

• Like 1

Our CRV is averaging around 8K oil changes of the 10K recommended by Honda. We usually have trip that it would put it over. There’re usually 3K miles round  trips 3 times a year. Add to that 300 miles round trip every two weeks. The oil always looks clean. Cleaner than the wife’s Genesis that gets 3800 miles oil changes per their recommendation. The Avalanche is at 4K on this oil it’s just getting color. I’ve been driving it more. That’s about to change with gas going up.