Blind Spot Mirrors

Thought I would relate my story on this topic in case anyone else is going through the same search.

'22 Sierra 2500HD.

Had a '12 Sierra, 6.2L with Tow Package and OEM tow mirrors. Over the years, as it was also a daily driver (only towed a couple times per year), I found the "elephant ears" mirrors quite intrusive for downtown parking and narrow streets. On many an occasion, came so close to hitting another vehicle.

As a result, when I ordered the new truck, I decided to replace the tow mirrors with conventional mirrors and use aftermarket extensions for the few times we tow (which has worked great so far). However, the GM website stated the conventional mirror, passenger side, had a convex mirror, but upon arrival in March, it was flat glass. When questioned about this, the dealership manager merely said that GM has the right to change components without warning, and to basically live with it.

Unfortunately, this mirror left a HUGE blindspot on the passenger side and I had to really crank the mirror outward to see even a glimpse of anything in that blind spot. This meant the side of the truck, to about 3 -4 feet out, was invisible in the mirror.

I decided to go on the hunt for an aftermarket "stick on" blind spot mirror. Extensive search both in local stores and on the net only came up with the sub-par cheap stick-ons. Until I stumbled upon an old forum thread about a high quality blind spot mirror for a BMW model. Decided to check the website (nxtgenincproducts) and found they had mirrors for a number of makes/models (BMW, Ford, Toyota, Tesla to name a few) but none for GM vehicles.

Took a chance and emailed the site, enquiring about this. Immediate response, indicating they were about to design/market a GM product and we had a number of back/forth discussions. They even suggested their universal mirror and one of them even went out and found a truck with a mirror like mine, held the universal against it and sent me a photo. Some of the correspondence was from the owner (Drew) himself. They advised the design/manufacture process would take about 6 - 8 weeks. Decided to wait and see the outcome, rather than getting the universal.

Last Friday evening, out of curiosity, I emailed them, seeking an update. Within 12 hours, I received a response from Drew advising they had just finished the process and offered to send me two of their prototype models (only difference from retail items was no packaging). I welcomed the offer and within four days, they arrived to my residence.

The mirrors are very professional and high end. Great quality material (they say glass for all models but glass, uv resistant polycarbonate for the universal and I am not sure if the GM is all glass or poly as well). And they work wonderfully. And to top it off, this company has, probably, the best customer relations/service I have ever experienced. Responses are within hours, even on weekends, and they are very forthcoming with information on their product as well as their research and manufacturing. Vey impressed.

I have no affiliation with this company, other than a happy customer, and thought others may be looking for a similar product for one of their vehicles.

Marv

On 10/14/2022 at 7:22 PM, marpel said:

Thought I would relate my story on this topic in case anyone else is going through the same search.

'22 Sierra 2500HD.

Had a '12 Sierra, 6.2L with Tow Package and OEM tow mirrors. Over the years, as it was also a daily driver (only towed a couple times per year), I found the "elephant ears" mirrors quite intrusive for downtown parking and narrow streets. On many an occasion, came so close to hitting another vehicle.

As a result, when I ordered the new truck, I decided to replace the tow mirrors with conventional mirrors and use aftermarket extensions for the few times we tow (which has worked great so far). However, the GM website stated the conventional mirror, passenger side, had a convex mirror, but upon arrival in March, it was flat glass. When questioned about this, the dealership manager merely said that GM has the right to change components without warning, and to basically live with it.

Unfortunately, this mirror left a HUGE blindspot on the passenger side and I had to really crank the mirror outward to see even a glimpse of anything in that blind spot. This meant the side of the truck, to about 3 -4 feet out, was invisible in the mirror.

I decided to go on the hunt for an aftermarket "stick on" blind spot mirror. Extensive search both in local stores and on the net only came up with the sub-par cheap stick-ons. Until I stumbled upon an old forum thread about a high quality blind spot mirror for a BMW model. Decided to check the website (nxtgenincproducts) and found they had mirrors for a number of makes/models (BMW, Ford, Toyota, Tesla to name a few) but none for GM vehicles.

Took a chance and emailed the site, enquiring about this. Immediate response, indicating they were about to design/market a GM product and we had a number of back/forth discussions. They even suggested their universal mirror and one of them even went out and found a truck with a mirror like mine, held the universal against it and sent me a photo. Some of the correspondence was from the owner (Drew) himself. They advised the design/manufacture process would take about 6 - 8 weeks. Decided to wait and see the outcome, rather than getting the universal.

Last Friday evening, out of curiosity, I emailed them, seeking an update. Within 12 hours, I received a response from Drew advising they had just finished the process and offered to send me two of their prototype models (only difference from retail items was no packaging). I welcomed the offer and within four days, they arrived to my residence.

The mirrors are very professional and high end. Great quality material (they say glass for all models but glass, uv resistant polycarbonate for the universal and I am not sure if the GM is all glass or poly as well). And they work wonderfully. And to top it off, this company has, probably, the best customer relations/service I have ever experienced. Responses are within hours, even on weekends, and they are very forthcoming with information on their product as well as their research and manufacturing. Vey impressed.

I have no affiliation with this company, other than a happy customer, and thought others may be looking for a similar product for one of their vehicles.

Marv

With all that verbiage you fail to post a picture of it and a picture of it attached to your mirrors. Post a pic otherwise you are sales marketing it.

• Haha 1

Hmmm, sorry for all the verbiage. Thought it was an interesting story about how I came upon the mirrors.

And didn't realize not posting a photo was classified as "marketing".

Wonder why some immediately assume the worst intentions in a post.

Anyway, took a couple photos with my cell phone the other day, and will post as soon as I can figure out how.

Marv

On 10/17/2022 at 7:35 PM, marpel said:

Hmmm, sorry for all the verbiage. Thought it was an interesting story about how I came upon the mirrors.

And didn't realize not posting a photo was classified as "marketing".

Wonder why some immediately assume the worst intentions in a post.

Anyway, took a couple photos with my cell phone the other day, and will post as soon as I can figure out how.

Marv

No pics yet??

Sorry for the delay,

About a week ago, I took a couple photos of the mirror with my Iphone (and they went into "Photos").

I use my laptop (Mac) for forum stuff. I currently have the mirror pics in Photos, but they are a bit too large and in HEIC format. Although I am pretty proficient in programs like Photoshop, I do all that stuff on a photo editing computer, which is a PC desk top (and can't directly access the images).

And I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to change the photo format to JPG and/or how to downsize to a size compatible with forum requirements.

I am sure I will eventually figure this out....

Marv 

Justin,

I quoted the company in the initial post (nxtgenincproducts). Just add .com after it. I now suspect had I included the full site address, I really would have been skewered for advertising....

Haven't checked their site in a while so don't know if it has been updated, but when I received my mirrors, they were so new that they had not yet added them to the site. If you check and do not find them, just email them and enquire. They are very helpful and will likely respond in very short order. Also keep in mind, as I do not know exactly what style your mirrors are, they also have a generic mirror which looks pretty good. I was initially going to go with that, but decided to wait for the brand specific ones to come out.

And if you do decide to order a pair, make sure you follow their install guide to the T, and also first do a dry test fit to see exactly where they will fit. They use super strong glue and you don't want to mis-locate....

Marv

Alot to go through here.  With that said the mirrors are to big, they create frontal blind spots specially on the right side when looking right at certain conditions.  

Great mirrors but GM needs to rething the ergomoics of these.  They probably need to be brought in an in or two and shrunk up and down and left to right by another inch or two

• 2 weeks later...