Undercarriage questions, issues and concerns.

Hello All,

I am new to this forum and new to trucks but not Auto Mechanics. My first truck! 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 Extended cab 200K miles and a tad rusty.

I am in the process of restoring it for a work truck. I am retired.

If this is NOT the place to post, please have a little patience and guide me as I will have a lot of questions.

1. The VIN 2GCEK19V251309730 tells me that the color is 59U or Silver Birch Metallic. Indeed that is the color on the outside.

2. The bed (under the liner looks green (see pic).

3. The rear differential is green, the inside of the rear brakes and some lines that go all the way up to the engine.

My question is, Do you think someone went happy with a can of spray paint trying to cover up the rust?

I have purchased TekTon 44 to undercoat it once I get all the rest of the issues under control.

I will keep this short in case this is not the correct place but have many more questions and observations.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Kevin

image(14).jpg

image(13).jpg

image(17).jpg

image(15).jpg

• Like 1

Who knows, someone might have just painted it wanting to preserve it a little longer.  Perhaps they worked at a John Deere dealer and scored some paint.
Some of the stuff underneath (bump stop?) looks relatively new.

What made you choose  TekTon 44?

I have a 2005 as well and really like it.  I undercoated mine with Fluidfilm and Fluidfilm Black, but I'll have to recoat that yearly.

• Like 2

Hi 8 Track,

Already replaced the 4 shocks and bump stops in the rear, still have to do the fronts.

I have been working on the cab mounts and let's just say, "It is NOT pretty". See pics if you dare!

RE: TekTon, 44, I had done research on undercoating and I am NOT going to undercoat it yearly, Period!

New rear bumper still in the box waiting. One bracket was just about totally eaten through. Of course, could not get but a couple nuts and bolts out, so used cut off wheel(s) and grinder. Sure wish I owned a torch!

image(21).jpg

image(19).jpg

image(18).jpg

• Like 1

I see in the application notes for Tekton 44 to apply to clean dry surfaces only. Rust is neither of those...ever. You won't believe me now but..... Rubberized products can not displace moisture but they can trap it. These types work really nice on new to the world vehicles. Not so much on rusty ones. 

Lanolin products will displace water and stop rust if applied to a surface prepared with nothing more than a wire brush to knock off the scale. Blaster Surface Shield, Fluid Film and Wool Wax are such products. Last two in spray cans can use cheap cavity adaptor tools. First can be but requires an adaptor for the adaptor. 😏 First is also the thinnest of the three and great from internal pinch seam application. Spray rubber in a cavity and it seals water into the seam and prevents any future application from getting into it.

Reapplication of Lanolin is less work that patching panels. 😉 Less work that spray painting with rattle cans come to think of it. 

I'm old and getting the ground is tough and it's still worth the aggravation. Opinion and wills vary. Just my 2 cents worth. 

• Like 2

Agree with Swathdiver, someone replaced the bed and then painted it to match. Sad that they didn't go the extra effort, not like it would have been any to paint inside where the tail gate closes.

I have customers that use AMSOIL's Heavy-Duty Metal Protector as an undercoat.  Just another option.

• Like 2

Morning Grumpy,

At 65 I am feeling the aches and pains of being underneath her even with a creeper and on concrete garage floor and I have not EVEN mentioned the Rocker panels or lack thereof!  But based upon your answer, I am sure that you are well schooled in that area and I will be back with a post about that after another cup of coffee or 2 or 3.....

Oh and while it is a 2 car garage, one side occupied by the patient, the other littered with tools and parts, one side is that of my wife's car. So the bottom line is,  if I do not get this truck out of there before the snow flies, You may never see another post from me again as people might call and ask for Kevin, she would respond with "Kevin WHO"? And what was the back hoe digging in the backyard? "Mind your business". You catch my drift?

I appreciate all the information that you have provided. As rust is my main enemy at this juncture, I will have to pause and reconsider my decision. The Tekton 44 came in cans, but with adapter to spray into cavities so I understand the importance of that method vs. spray cans.  I think I had visions of taking off the bed and sandblasting it, but those visions have evaporated, much like Acetone.

As I was looking through this forum, I noticed a couple people mentioned "POR-15 3-Step Stop Rust System". Your thoughts? or anybody else's thoughts are more than welcome.

Again, sincerely appreciate your 2 cents worth. Both you and I know it is worth a whole lot more. Used to have a saying that goes along with the "2 cents quote". Do you want your change? In this case, please send me the bill!

All the best to you and yours!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KevinRC said:

Morning Grumpy,

Morning Kevin. 69 here so preaching the choir. Mobility stinks. On the garage space thing....Wife and I have a saying. "Divorce never, as long as I have a sharp shovel and a big back yard." Backhoe would make it easier. 😬

I live in the rustbelt too. Northern Illinois. I rarely loose a power train and only recently getting a handle on this rust thing. This guy has been a great help. 30 minutes of education. Hope you like it. Will answer your questions. 

• Thanks 1

Hi Grumpy,

Thank you very much. I have bookmarked that and believe that I had started to watch it a few weeks ago but now will make sure that I do!

Today was a Red Letter day for me!

I had one cab mount bolt that had snapped. Needed a welder to do the same as you might do with a header bolt, weld on a nut and pray. 

Was able to find someone local who just happened to decide to take it on and of course, he said he was 5 minutes out and will be there. Wife had to move her car and that was 2.5 hours ago and is still not back. I have a baaaddd feeling.....

It would have been $40 to take it to his shop. $100 for him to come to me. But it would have meant me having to install all the other 7 mounts to drive it 3 miles, so it was well worth it. Took us 30 minutes to setup, 3 minutes for him to weld and 60 seconds to get my impact on it and voila, it is now out! Amen!

He also turned out to be a very nice guy and we shot the chit for at least an hour after he finished.

Now I just have to figure out what I am going to do for the rest of the day. Of course I still do not know what I want to be when I grow up, but that is a whole nuther issue. 🤪

Have a good one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Below is a thread that I posted when I fluid filmed my 2005.  One thing I forgot to mention, fluid film has a penetrant in it.  I've used it on "rusty" brake lines before and the next thing you know, they were leaking.  I don't know if the fluid film had anything to do with it, but it happened twice.  So as for myself, if I'm rustproofing with fluid film, I'll replace rusty brake lines as well. I should anyway.  I think you will like the 05 regardless of what route you take.  Sometimes it's just good to have an old truck.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...