I try not to look at this section...

On 3/29/2023 at 7:59 AM, CRApex said:

I have had Duramax trucks going back to 2002.  I'm on my 2nd 2020 Duramax that is now pushing 90k.  The Duramax is awesome. I get it, if you don't tow much it is overkill especially given the added cost.  The reality is they drive great loaded or just daily driving, better than the gas in both scenarios IMO.  They tow sooo nice, low RPM's, no revving and incredible power and now the 24 is even more capable...

Our work trucks are 6.6 gas trucks.  I used one of them for a couple weeks while my DMax was having a def heater recall done.  The gas truck got the job done but revved alot and after towing with it for the weekend (35' gooseneck trailer) it simply wears you out more on a long drive drive.

All of this said, I ordered my first gas truck in a long time due to the 10spd Allison.  I'm hopeful the 10spd will reduce the huge downshifts and revs needed to keep the larger trailers moving.  My new truck is currently "in-transit" and I'll admit I'm still not sure I made the right choice.  It is saving me $9390.00 though.  Time will tell, really looking forward to the real world difference and hoping it works out.  Worst case I go back to diesel.

Well please keep us posted as to how the combination gas/10 speed performs when towing. 

• 2 weeks later...

My 2020 is my first diesel truck.  I liked it better before the def software issue, and obviously before biden took office.  I was averaging close to 19 mpg mixed driving with it before having the recall performed, now closer to 16.5.  Cost of diesel when I bought my truck was less than $2 a gallon, hurt when it went over $5.  Current average price here has been around $4.90 a gallon for diesel.

The power and ease of towing with the diesel is great.  I didn't intend for my truck to become my daily driver, but it kind of did until diesel prices soared. At 6'2", my crew cab with leather seats is just way more comfortable than any of the vehicles that I own.  That said when diesel went over $5 a gallon, I went to driving my 2008 Durango limited a bit more.  The Durango has a 5.7 hemi, and I am having mds issues with it.  Just replaced the pcm and it did not solve the problem, so going to be replacing the 4 solenoids next.  Even with the mds acting up, getting average 15-16 with gas under $3 is cheaper to drive than my truck getting 16'ish with diesel around $5.  The bad news, is that oil prices are going up, I may be looking for a cheap car.

My old 98 k2500 gets about 13 mpg no matter how I drive it and even when pulling a trailer it doesn't drop much.  It is just geared low.  It won't safely pull 10 1200-1500 lb bales on my 14k equipment trailer though, my Duramax pulls and handles those loads with ease.   The old gas 2500 actually has a lower spec towing capacity than the Durango, which is crazy.  I have pulled well beyond the max loads on the old truck without issue though, always with brakes.  That said, no way I would even attempt to pull the loads with it that I have with my 2020 diesel.

I did recently find an unexpected interstate sweet spot speed with my 2020.  I was running around 74 on our way to an event and the efficiency was averaging around 16 mpg, on the way home I bumped my speed UP to 79 and my average efficiency went up to 19 mpg!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We actually got rid of 2 diesels because of all the emissions issues we were having (both out of warranty). One was a 2018 GMC SLT 2500 (our work truck) and the other was a 2016 Chevy High Country 2500 (our personal truck). We had nothing but issues on both of them. Not the motor itself, it was awesome - but the fuel pump on the 2016 and injectors on the 2018 - and problem after problem with the DEF system. Both trucks were paid for with cash, but we probably spent over $15000 in repairs - all right around 100k miles. Switched to a 2022 Ford 250 for the work truck and a 2022 Silverado 2500 LTZ for our personal truck - both gas engines. We pull a tractor and hay quite a bit and the occasional camping trip in an 11k pound fifth wheel - can't tell a difference between pulling gas/diesel other than RPM. I averaged 19mpg in the diesel and I get 17mpg in the gas (both daily drivers around town). Take away the emissions crap and I would switch to a diesel again in a heartbeat. Keep it on there and no thanks, not reliable enough for long road trips with a camper and the family. 

• Like 1