steering wheel swap quick confirmation needed

Looking to swap to a leather steering wheel in my 22' Custom.  Just want to confirm before I purchase replacement steering wheel; does the Sierra wheel fit exactly the same; ie, will the air bag from my current wheel directly swap over?  The overall spokes of the Sierra wheel are different than the Silverado wheel, so wanted to make 100% sure everything else is the same before I pull the trigger.   Thanks in advance for any replies!

I found a Youtube video of a guy swapping to a Sierra Steering Wheel.  It looks like bottom edges are slightly different leaving some gap on both sides.  Can't decide if that will bug me or not.  May have to keep looking for Silverado wheel instead.

Seirra Steering Wheel.jpg

Is the wheel from Tahoe and Suburban a direct swap as well?  I was looking at one and the seller said it wouldn’t work on my truck based off vin.  Do they have different wiring harness plugs or something?  I don’t want to buy one and it not work so is there a way to tell for sure which ones will work for sure?

Edited by Sonders
Added more info

• 2 weeks later...

IN case anyone is following this thread; I went with a wheel for a Tahoe/Suburban.  The seller said it wouldn't fit my truck but I took a gamble and went for it anyways.  Fit and works perfectly.  I used my heat gun and held it right over the T50 bolt for a few minutes and the bolt came out nice and easy with a regular ratchet and T50 socket.  Was a super easy swap.  Now hopefully some day someone will figure out how to make heated wheel button work so I can actually use it.

steering wheel.jpg

Edited by Sonders
  • Like 1

got a chance to actually drive the truck today and I noticed that the Forward Collision Gap adjust button doesn't work while the truck is running, I can only change the gap while the truck is turned off with the key in the run position.  I've only hit that button 2 or 3 times since owning the truck but I coulda swore It could be adjusted anytime while driving before swapping steering wheels.  Weird.  Is that the case or has it always been like that and I'm just remembering wrong?  Can someone else with that option chime in to confirm?  

9 minutes ago, Sonders said:

got a chance to actually drive the truck today and I noticed that the Forward Collision Gap adjust button doesn't work while the truck is running, I can only change the gap while the truck is turned off with the key in the run position.  I've only hit that button 2 or 3 times since owning the truck but I coulda swore It could be adjusted anytime while driving before swapping steering wheels.  Weird.  Is that the case or has it always been like that and I'm just remembering wrong?  Can someone else with that option chime in to confirm?  

I have that option and it works whenever the truck is running.  I can change the distance when driving and I too have the Custom model.

That’s what I thought.  So weird.  Guess I’ll get it set to what I want it and leave it then.

also, do the 3 blocks light up green when you’re selecting the distance or are they grey?  I thought they were green before, but are grey now on my screen.

7 minutes ago, Sonders said:

That’s what I thought.  So weird.  Guess I’ll get it set to what I want it and leave it then.

also, do the 3 blocks light up green when you’re selecting the distance or are they grey?  I thought they were green before, but are grey now on my screen.

I couldn't remember either so I went out and checked and mine are grey.

Ok, So atleast that part is right.  I must have been thinking of my wifes car that light up green.  Guess I’ll just have to roll with it; no idea what else to do to change that and I’m not going back to the old wheel.

Just now, Sonders said:

Ok, So atleast that part is right.  I must have been thinking of my wifes car that light up green.  Guess I’ll just have to roll with it; no idea what else to do to change that and I’m not going back to the old wheel.

In all honesty I thought they were green as well, I'm glad I actually looked lol....I've been looking for leather steering wheel covers that sew up in the middle like the factory ones.  The Custom steering wheel does kind of suck being all plastic.

I considered the wrap with sewing kit but ended up finding this one for $125 which I didn’t think was bad.  

i guess I could take it apart and switch my controls over to the leather wheel and see what that does.  Ehh maybe someday.  It only gets driven a few times a month.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sonders said:

I considered the wrap with sewing kit but ended up finding this one for $125 which I didn’t think was bad.  

i guess I could take it apart and switch my controls over to the leather wheel and see what that does.  Ehh maybe someday.  It only gets driven a few times a month.

I've been looking for some time now concerning the leather covers.  If you find one that looks of great quality please let me know.

got the truck out on the interstate this morning and tried to set cruise control and it doesn't work either, so frustrating.  It doesn't make any sense why the buttons work with the truck off, with key in the run position, but not while the truck is actually running.  Cruise indicator even comes on while key is in run position, but not when truck is running.  I guess I'm going to pull the wheel and completely disassemble both wheels and swap over the wiring and components.  Looks like I have another weekend project.  I shoulda known better when I was able to get it installed so easily.