In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Steering wheel covers for the Work truck and Custom models

Yesterday @Sonders posted how he changed his steering wheel to a leather wrapped one.  He has a few issues with it, I tried to help.  But it raises a great point about the work truck/custom models that have a total plastic steering wheel that honestly does suck.  And that's not all when it comes to those 2 models.  I'm 6ft and have to move the seat back aways to get comfortable and the steering wheel on those models doesn't telescope.  I really would like the steering wheel to be just an inch or so closer to me for overall reach and comfort.  But that's not possible with the model trucks we own.  But hopefully I can find a really good steering wheel leather wrap that I can sew up on it.  Back in 99 I bought a 1995 E320 Benz, great car, I owned it for years.  But when I bought it, the steering wheel leather was all chipped and coming apart.  So Mercedes sold a steering wheel cover that was made for my specific model that you stitched up.  Took about an hour to do, but it turned out amazing and looked amazing as well.  So my question here is, and I've looked at a lot of sites, is there a steering wheel cover out there that can be put on the plastic steering wheel for more grip and overall comfort?  If anyone can find one or has installed one please let me know ok?

I've seen leather wrap kits on good ole Fleabay and Amazon but who knows what the actual quality is.  I'd love it if mine telescoped out a bit more.  My buddy that has body shop that I've had do all my colormatching keeps joking saying I should have just bought a higher optioned truck.     

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Sonders said:

I've seen leather wrap kits on good ole Fleabay and Amazon but who knows what the actual quality is.  I'd love it if mine telescoped out a bit more.  My buddy that has body shop that I've had do all my colormatching keeps joking saying I should have just bought a higher optioned truck.     

Although I think your buddy is right about a higher trim level, stepping up to the LT from a Custom was a minimum 5 to 7 grand.  And that just didn't interest me at all.  Mine at 54k was more than I really wanted to spend.  Those prices go skyhigh quickly.  I keep track of all the things I've added to my Custom model, and there's not one thing I've added that I wouldn't have added to a LT.  So looking at it from that perspective, I'm still in love with my custom model....

Edited by Jettech1

40 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

Although I think your buddy is right about a higher trim level, stepping up to the LT from a Custom was a minimum 5 to 7 grand.  And that just didn't interest me at all.  Mine at 54k was more than I really wanted to spend.  Those prices go skyhigh quickly.  I keep track of all the things I've added to my Custom model, and there's not one thing I've added that I wouldn't have added to a LT.  So looking at it from that perspective, I'm still in love with my custom model....

yep, I completely agree.  If I was daily driving it I may have been a little more apt to getting higher trim level for more creature comforts; but I only drive it a few times a month.  Like you, everything I've added for the most part I would have added to an LT as most of it has been appearance stuff.  I'm still in my truck for less than the next higher up trim level pkg.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sonders said:

yep, I completely agree.  If I was daily driving it I may have been a little more apt to getting higher trim level for more creature comforts; but I only drive it a few times a month.  Like you, everything I've added for the most part I would have added to an LT as most of it has been appearance stuff.  I'm still in my truck for less than the next higher up trim level pkg.

I do daily drive my truck, the thing I love about it is the simplicity of it.  Sure I wouldn't mind an 8" screen, telescoping leather wrapped steering wheel.  But the 7" screen does me just fine and lack of a telescoping steering wheel was surely not a deal breaker.  I hate leather seats due to living in the south, I could careless about sunroofs of which are only kind of good here in the south for a month or so in the fall, (you would think they be awesome in the springtime here....not so unless you want your whole interior covered in layers of pollen) so yeah, the simplicity of my custom model fits me just fine.  If someone said, here's my new Denali for free, I would sell it and put the money towards another custom model and keep the difference....and that's the truth!

I think some of this comes with age as well.  The last vehicle that I bought that was loaded out was a 2019 Explorer Sport.  That thing was gorgeous in blue with all chrome blacked out.  Now here's where it wasn't good at all.  The ecoboost engine.  It was pretty quick but it sucked fuel like crazy.  It had a sunroof that we hardly ever opened, it had the ventilated leather seats that still would get hot and cause swamp ass, it did a lot of things good, but it did a lot of things really bad.  Sync 3 was ok at best, it had a lot of dealer visits for stupid crap like the antenna for the nav went out, took 2 months for them to get a new one in, and I never used the nav because waze always worked better.  So we traded it in on a stripped down 2021 Explorer XLT and have never looked back.  Super efficient, super fast believe it or not, probably faster than the ecoboost twin turbo engine in our 2019.  Cloth very comfortable seats, no sunroof, no heated steering wheel...But we LOVE IT!!...  Simplicity can be a great thing!!!

2 hours ago, Jettech1 said:

I think some of this comes with age as well.  The last vehicle that I bought that was loaded out was a 2019 Explorer Sport.  That thing was gorgeous in blue with all chrome blacked out.  Now here's where it wasn't good at all.  The ecoboost engine.  It was pretty quick but it sucked fuel like crazy.  It had a sunroof that we hardly ever opened, it had the ventilated leather seats that still would get hot and cause swamp ass, it did a lot of things good, but it did a lot of things really bad.  Sync 3 was ok at best, it had a lot of dealer visits for stupid crap like the antenna for the nav went out, took 2 months for them to get a new one in, and I never used the nav because waze always worked better.  So we traded it in on a stripped down 2021 Explorer XLT and have never looked back.  Super efficient, super fast believe it or not, probably faster than the ecoboost twin turbo engine in our 2019.  Cloth very comfortable seats, no sunroof, no heated steering wheel...But we LOVE IT!!...  Simplicity can be a great thing!!!

My parents have an explorer platinum. I think it’s a 19 too. It’s pretty nice but I don’t really like it a ton. The wheel is heated with wood and way too thick imo. It also has the worst seatbelts they have like inflation in them or something. Weird. 

3 minutes ago, Pryme said:

My parents have an explorer platinum. I think it’s a 19 too. It’s pretty nice but I don’t really like it a ton. The wheel is heated with wood and way too thick imo. It also has the worst seatbelts they have like inflation in them or something. Weird. 

You are absolutely correct about the seat belts.  Weirdest damn thing I've ever seen and are uncomfortable.  They hang up, won't travel back into the retract system....horrible horrible idea.