Yes you guys I truly appreciate it. My budget is right around 15-20k. I have settled on a ranger, or any gmc/chevy 1500. If i buy a range or a silverado im going to use the rest for parts, accesories, wheels, tires, color match, exhaust, lighting. Is it true rangers take alot to keep running? I also own a dirtbike, 200 lbs roughly but any vehicle can handle taht. What are some parts that a 1999- to 07 ranger/sierra/silverado will need? Like important parts before modification. Also what about a 1994 chevy k1500? my dad had one in highschool but he doesnt like talking about it.

Generally speaking the older the vehicle and the more miles are on it, the more work and money it will take to keep it in top form.  Those kids I know with Rangers were always working on them because they were old, not very tough and they crashed them a lot because well, they were kids.

Find a nice 2006-2007 and it should get you through high school and college or technical school.  Parts are less expensive and more plentiful.

I'd rather get hit by a drunk in a big car than a little car.

8 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Generally speaking the older the vehicle and the more miles are on it, the more work and money it will take to keep it in top form.  Those kids I know with Rangers were always working on them because they were old, not very tough and they crashed them a lot because well, they were kids.

Find a nice 2006-2007 and it should get you through high school and college or technical school.  Parts are less expensive and more plentiful.

I'd rather get hit by a drunk in a big car than a little car.

I looked up the safest vehicles to drive. The answers are surprising. When it came to my three. The one with the largest vehicle had the most trouble. After a year and beyond they leveled out with driving skills. My wife and I usual had several different types of vehicles. They all had the most problems driving my truck. The easiest with moms sports car. Avoidance and not hitting someone counts as much as someone hitting you. We spent countless hours training our kids to drive.

• Like 1

The thing I like most about this site it brings back memories. I remembered that the driving age here is 16. In New Jersey it was 17. My life would have been different if I started driving at 16. I also remember my kids didn’t get their rides at the same age. We didn’t just hand them the keys. Amazingly my son got his at 16 and moms Z-28 with very strict rules. One speeding ticket keys pulled until 17. My first daughter at 17. A small dodge Daytona k car. A year later her mom’s Fiero gt. As a wedding present. My second daughter and the hardest. Got hers at 18. An LTD. A year later mom’s mustang. Mom hated it, here take it she said. No not a GT. One neat little misshape. She pulled into a parking. Reversing out her bumper ended up snagging at little yellow pole. Another she pulled out between two parked cars at college. The only way out with a block view. Got hit in the back. They yellowed the curb after we threaten to sue. If she was driving a smaller car she would have cleared. She eventually turned into a good driver. And no my son never got a ticket in three years driving the Z-28. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 5:41 PM, Anthony Vieira said:

Yea lets be honest. All my friends have trucks, and im not pullin up to school with a corolla, thats just embarrasing. What wouldnt be embarrasing is a cummins swapped corolla, but i doubt a inline 6 would fit in a coroola. Yea i think im over the duramax. Now that i look at it, no one at my school drives a duramax, and everyone I know who does is 18+. My final options are a ford ranger, any gm sierra/silverado from 1994-2007.  I would pimp the ****** out of a ranger though, I know 2 people who do and their badass. This is stevens truck below.

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/wheel-offset-gallery/1281730/1999-ford-ranger-weld-racing-super-single-wulf-suspensions-level-2in-drop-rear

But a buddy of mine has a 12v and has no problem with it. Are 24v reliable enough for a highschool kid who is likely going to floor it after every 5th or 6th stop sign? Are 2nd gen 24v good trucks in general? I dont know anyone who owns a good one.

I had a 1999 2500 Cummins for 7 years and it was a decent truck overall, but some issues. Front suspension/ball joints were underbuilt for the job and didn't live long, especially if 2WD. And the 24v does have a few flaws. There was a batch that had cracking blocks, don't remember what years. And then the fuel pump issues. Pretty much count on doing an aftermarket higher volume lift pump and a rebuilt VP44 if it hasn't been done already. Especially if you run a tuner. I did the pumps myself to save a few bucks but its a ton of work. Oh, and the automatic transmissions were not so great either.

At any rate, you really don't want a diesel for the driving you do. Short trips are not at all good for them. And you'll never see an upside if you don't tow or haul heavy. I understand the looking cool factor though. 

If you don't live in the rust belt a GMT400 or GMT800 would be bulletproof. Cheap parts, plenty of aftermarket support. We have a 5.3 Tahoe sitting around 300k miles. Body is ready to fall off but it's never needed anything major. GM hasn't built anything nearly as durable since and probably never will again. Of course I picture someone talking these same sensibilities to the 15 year old me and have to laugh. You'll wind up buying what you want regardless, just like I did. And that's cool!

• Like 1

Before they were screwed with the 5.9 and 7.3  were built bulletproof and could handle any type of driving we had several. There’s two left. My mother at 83 drives a 2000 one ton 7.3. It’s at 210K. She drives secondary roads 55 mph max. Bought new. My late father’s 98 5.9 dodge is now her other ride at around 200k miles. My father was petal to the metal. Probably has some mods. I can’t remember. Good luck finding either one of those now. I know these two will never be sold. 

Edited by KARNUT
  • Like 1

On 2/10/2023 at 6:38 PM, Anthony Vieira said:

I have settled on a ranger, or any gmc/chevy 1500.

Well you are on a GM forum - The Ranger better be CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP before I'm interested. 4x4 Rangers aren't as common around here, to get one with any kind of power you need the 4.0 V6, and MPG on those aren't good, compared to a GM V8. 

So for me, a 4.0 V6, 4x4 extended cab Ranger has to be around $5K or I'm stepping up to the 5.3 V8, 4x4 extended cab Silverado/Sierra. 

The Ranger just isn't worth more than that TO ME.