Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

Hello, i am 15.5 and im going to pick a truck to buy off facebook marketplace. My options are a 2006 chevy silverado, or a lly or lbz duramax. here are my needs. I need a truck that is reliable and not that costly to maintain, as i am in highschool. I am going to drive this vehicle 5 days a week, from my house to school which is 3 miles. Something that is easy to find parts for. I love duramax's, the sound, smell, and torque, but i dont tow. I also dont want to get in trouble with cops becasue diesels and their tuning and things like that. Or was also thinking about a 24 valve or maybe a ford ranger. But i want something older that 2010 and something rliable. Are my choices good? any reccomendations?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Anthony Vieira said:

My options are a 2006 chevy silverado, or a lly or lbz duramax. 

A 1/2 ton with 5.3 will be basically indestructible, parts are available and cheap at every FLAPS and maintenance will be among the cheapest of any other car or truck. Especially prior to AFM (2007). Diesel will be more to purchase, insure, maintain and fuel.

 

9 hours ago, Anthony Vieira said:

I also dont want to get in trouble with cops becasue diesels and their tuning and things like that.

Then don't do something to make them look at you - whether it is driving style or tuning to 'roll coal'.

 

9 hours ago, Anthony Vieira said:

I am going to drive this vehicle 5 days a week, from my house to school which is 3 miles.

The short commute would warrant at least taking it out once a week and driving it a while (30 minutes) at operating temperature - to help burn off condensation in the engine.

 

9 hours ago, Anthony Vieira said:

Hello, i am 15.5 and im going to pick a truck to buy off facebook marketplace.

Be vigilant, thoroughly inspect any vehicle for prior collisions, poor maintenance, abusive use, fishy deals, etc. Be objective not emotional. Have a mature person accompany you - not your buddy 'who knows cars'.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The dirtymax is much more expensive to acquire and maintain.  The 4.3 V6 and 4.8 V8 will be less costly to insure than the 5.3s and 6.0s in that generation.  Insurance for the diesel may be less than insuring a 5.3 or 6.0.

 

If budget allows, pay more for a clean, well-maintained truck than less for one needing lots of work.

 

If money is no object I'd suggest to you a 2012-2013 6.2 equipped pickup!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea, i love to drive so maybe 1 day during the week I will go to a town 40-50 minutes away just to explore it. Whould if be worth paying 20-23k for a duramax with a lift, 24x14 polished wheels and 33's, 5 inch pipe with a tune and tint? Are these trucks even good after tuning? I feel like people drive them harder with a straight pipe and tunes. Also if I buy a gas or diesel what is a good amout of miles to look for? Also what are signs the truck hasnt been beat on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Anthony Vieira said:

Hello, i am 15.5 and im going to pick a truck to buy off facebook marketplace. My options are a 2006 chevy silverado, or a lly or lbz duramax. here are my needs. I need a truck that is reliable and not that costly to maintain, as i am in highschool. I am going to drive this vehicle 5 days a week, from my house to school which is 3 miles. Something that is easy to find parts for. I love duramax's, the sound, smell, and torque, but i dont tow. I also dont want to get in trouble with cops becasue diesels and their tuning and things like that. Or was also thinking about a 24 valve or maybe a ford ranger. But i want something older that 2010 and something rliable. Are my choices good? any reccomendations?

 

 

So, cheap to operate, short trips, easy to fix, reliable, not expensive to operate...

 

...yet you want a diesel...

 

You say you don't want cop attraction yet one of the trucks you are looking at is a "20-23k for a duramax with a lift, 24x14 polished wheels and 33's, 5 inch pipe with a tune and tint."  A literal cop magnet.

 

A Ford Ranger sounds perfect.  Cheap to operate, low fuel costs, low maintenance costs, no cop attractiveness.  Maybe an S10?  Colorado?  Canyon?  Toyota Corolla?  Definitely not a tuned bro-choo train.  

 

Save about 10-13 thousand of that 20-23 thousand you want to spend and start investing it.  Take the 10 you got left and get some reliable wheels.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Anthony Vieira said:

Yea, i love to drive so maybe 1 day during the week I will go to a town 40-50 minutes away just to explore it. Whould if be worth paying 20-23k for a duramax with a lift, 24x14 polished wheels and 33's, 5 inch pipe with a tune and tint? Are these trucks even good after tuning? I feel like people drive them harder with a straight pipe and tunes. Also if I buy a gas or diesel what is a good amout of miles to look for? Also what are signs the truck hasnt been beat on.

My children are into the local truck scene and they tell me that the boys who buy diesels rag on them hard and dump them at the first sign of trouble because they don't earn enough money to properly care for them, well, they had no money left over after spending a couple grand on wheels, tires and a tune and a trip to Daytona Beach to roll coal.

 

No photo description available.

 

See that orange truck up there?  Lawrence "LT" Tolman built this on his youtube channel.  It's a 4.8 truck converted to full time AWD and is supercharged.

 

This kind of truck would be pretty reliable, cheap on gas and insurance and allow you to maybe turn it into a sleeper like LT did as you learn to turn wrenches and not break the bank.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Anthony Vieira said:

Whould if be worth paying 20-23k for a duramax with a lift, 24x14 polished wheels and 33's, 5 inch pipe with a tune and tint?

This is not consistent with your stated goals. 

 

4 hours ago, Anthony Vieira said:

I feel like people drive them harder with a straight pipe and tunes. 

Wouldn't you?

 

4 hours ago, Anthony Vieira said:

Also if I buy a gas or diesel what is a good amout of miles to look for? 

150K or less as your budget allows, maybe 175K.

 

4 hours ago, Anthony Vieira said:

Also what are signs the truck hasnt been beat on.

A well cared for truck will look, drive, smell, sound and feel like a new truck. Lots of rattles squeaks was driven over rough roads. Obvious stains, scratches, tears, dents, dirty, especially in crevices and under seats, door jambs, etc. If the previous owners weren't detailed in keeping it neat and clean they probably weren't detailed in proper maintenance either. If the back tires have noticeably more wear than the front tires... burn outs. The tires should have an even amount of wear across the entire tire tread width, all tires should be worn evenly among the four of them. Under the hood - missing parts, hoses, disconnected things. If you see wire nuts any where... Leaks, odd noises, vibrations, shakes, jerks, bad rust... Does it accelerated properly, brake, steer and ride correctly? Check that all the lights on the dash work (bulb check when you turn the ignition on) and no trouble lights are lit. If the check engine light is on - don't buy it, and don't buy any lame excuses for it either. Same goes for any other trouble lights, brake, TPMS, ABS, etc. Won't start - don't buy it, Won't go into gear or shift right - don't buy it. Key FOB don't. head lights won't come on, AC doesn't work - DON'T BUY IT (Unless you want to deal with the problems that the previous owner chose not to, FOR A REASON).

 

A well cared for truck should be just as obvious as an abused one. 

 

Regardless of age or mileage it should still function and operate like a new truck. My 2007 with 250k on it did. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, newdude said:

 

 

So, cheap to operate, short trips, easy to fix, reliable, not expensive to operate...

 

...yet you want a diesel...

 

You say you don't want cop attraction yet one of the trucks you are looking at is a "20-23k for a duramax with a lift, 24x14 polished wheels and 33's, 5 inch pipe with a tune and tint."  A literal cop magnet.

 

A Ford Ranger sounds perfect.  Cheap to operate, low fuel costs, low maintenance costs, no cop attractiveness.  Maybe an S10?  Colorado?  Canyon?  Toyota Corolla?  Definitely not a tuned bro-choo train.  

I agree with all the above except come on a Ranger or Corolla? Thats just mean. :P

 

OP probably is to naïve to admit it BUT, this first vehicle will probably get wrecked. Likely in the first 12 months. No one wants to wreck their 'dream' car and NEVER keep a wrecked one. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would never buy a new driver a truck. Honda civic, Toyota, Mazda, VW all vehicles with good reliability records. Much cheaper than a truck easy to drive very forgiving well balanced. A stick shift is possible, raising the fun factor. They make it a year without a wreck, then there’re ready for a truck. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yea lets be honest. All my friends have trucks, and im not pullin up to school with a corolla, thats just embarrasing. What wouldnt be embarrasing is a cummins swapped corolla, but i doubt a inline 6 would fit in a coroola. Yea i think im over the duramax. Now that i look at it, no one at my school drives a duramax, and everyone I know who does is 18+. My final options are a ford ranger, any gm sierra/silverado from 1994-2007.  I would pimp the ****** out of a ranger though, I know 2 people who do and their badass. This is stevens truck below.

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/wheel-offset-gallery/1281730/1999-ford-ranger-weld-racing-super-single-wulf-suspensions-level-2in-drop-rear

But a buddy of mine has a 12v and has no problem with it. Are 24v reliable enough for a highschool kid who is likely going to floor it after every 5th or 6th stop sign? Are 2nd gen 24v good trucks in general? I dont know anyone who owns a good one.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Anthony Vieira said:

Yea lets be honest. All my friends have trucks, and im not pullin up to school with a corolla, thats just embarrasing. What wouldnt be embarrasing is a cummins swapped corolla, but i doubt a inline 6 would fit in a coroola. Yea i think im over the duramax. Now that i look at it, no one at my school drives a duramax, and everyone I know who does is 18+. My final options are a ford ranger, any gm sierra/silverado from 1994-2007.  I would pimp the ****** out of a ranger though, I know 2 people who do and their badass. This is stevens truck below.

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/wheel-offset-gallery/1281730/1999-ford-ranger-weld-racing-super-single-wulf-suspensions-level-2in-drop-rear

But a buddy of mine has a 12v and has no problem with it. Are 24v reliable enough for a highschool kid who is likely going to floor it after every 5th or 6th stop sign? Are 2nd gen 24v good trucks in general? I dont know anyone who owns a good one.

All my friends drove mustangs, novas, goats and other sorted performance cars. I drove an RX3 Mazda. It would shift out of 3RD gear at 115MPH. Usually where they played out. I was the talk of my high school. Not just because I was fast. Because I was different. I did conform with my second car a barracuda. It was quick but done at 115 mph. A gear will do that. Nice dreams you have. All it takes is money. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Anthony Vieira said:

...All my friends... no one at my school.. everyone I know... I know 2 people... a buddy of mine... I dont know anyone...

I wouldn't want to be the odd man out, when all your friends are driving their trucks through the mud or taking their cars to the drag strip... but do what YOU want. Pick a car you like, want to drive, can be proud of - but don't forget all the other things you want too: cheap, reliable, easy to maintain, parts... NOT A COP MAGNET... Having an ugly car is no fun, having a broken car is no fun, spending all your money on a car and not having anything left to spend on other stuff is no fun, getting stopped by the cops every week is no fun. I get it, having people make fun of your choice is no fun either.

 

Your avatar image has dirtbikes on it - do you plan on carrying them in the truck bed? A lifted truck will make that harder to do a car or SUV will be impossible. How many passengers will be riding in the vehicle, a Ranger is good for 3 people max (with an extended cab). 

 

Lastly, what IS the budget, is it a purchase price? Will left over money go to 'customizing'? How are you fueling it? Uh-oh, I need a new battery, alternator, water pump, tire, how are those being bought? I just rattled off $500 of parts (not labor at a shop to have replaced) that ANY used vehicle can have go bad. 

 

It all goes back to this is YOUR vehicle, if its not working for you or the money doesn't work... you might as well be a foot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I loved being odd man out. When that straight piped rotary engine Mazda would fly by my friends played out muscle cars. Especially with flames shooting out the exhaust between shifts at 7000 plus RPMs. I used to sit at a light power braking sitting at 7000 Rpms. The light would turn green I’d flat shift 2nd gear leaving my opponent wide eyed in amazement. That led to a transmission at 12K miles and spider gears soon after. I was crazy. My whole family was. It was also a different time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I swore off small cars decades ago because all of my family members, including myself, have been seriously injured in them.  The big truck will protect you from others and your own foolishness.

 

Those Rangers were cool in their day but are old now and take a lot to keep running.  Stick with your GM full-size truck, an 800 or 900 or even a K2.  

 

You've gotten some great advice from the men here, take it in and heed it.  If you want something unique, consider an Avalanche like Stan has.

 

What do you think of that orange pickup?

Edited by swathdiver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.