Delco-Remy Alternator Clarification

I just removed the alternator from '88 5.7 350. I'm trying to identify exactly what I'm gonna fix or replace. I've done research ad nauseum and discovered and learned plenty. I've yet to learn the specs of this alternator. Its the 10J i cant find anything abo16783302435687372659278720805832.thumb.jpg.f2026450ec510b37a68ad30c5928d322.jpgu16783301632918855961626322592124.thumb.jpg.853ea80ed4d0608a9f1a8a681c58543b.jpg

16783303747239038045551001603099.jpg

Welcome to the Forum! The part # and amperage are usually stamped on the boss where the long bolt goes through. Why you want to mess with it? just go buy a rebuilt or go to the boneyard and get a used 1

I had to look it up as a 1987 truck to find an alternator that style.

Look to be exactly like this one. It's a 2 pin design with 94 amps. Swap the pulley and away you go.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=12526877&cc=1059825&pt=2412&jsn=812

Edited by CamGTP

4 hours ago, CamGTP said:

I had to look it up as a 1987 truck to find an alternator that style.

Look to be exactly like this one. It's a 2 pin design with 94 amps. Swap the pulley and away you go.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=12526877&cc=1059825&pt=2412&jsn=812

Thanks CamGTP for the feedback! That's exactly the info I'd been searching for and in some cases those things that aren't easy to find are worth the extra effort. I planned on upgrading by bumping up the amps with say a  220A, but I wouldnt know if I was upgrading, staying the same, or downgrading until I knew what I had to base the decision. Thanks again for your time and input.

If I remember correctly the higher amp alternators of that era that we used to get from our rebuilder for the plow trucks had a slightly larger case and required bracket modification

20 hours ago, richard wysong said:

If I remember correctly the higher amp alternators of that era that we used to get from our rebuilder for the plow trucks had a slightly larger case and required bracket modification

First off, thank you for the welcome. Secondly, I'm 52 and retired not by choice, but by circumstance. Through the years I considered myself a motor buyer not a motor builder and now even though  I'm unable to draw the level of income to buy it doesn't affect my love and craving of a CHEVROLET PICKUP TRUCK. On top of that some not all men go through that life crisis and go for the fast cars, but not me miles a "Mudlife Crisis" so outta necessity I'm learning to be a motor builder. And although I may not keep/use the alternator I'd like to know what it is, was, or could be weigh my options and use it as a comparison. If I like what offered I rebuild, if not enough I go bigger. As I'm writing this I've torn it down cleaned it up and I'm fixing to order the stud or battery terminal connector to replace the broken and stripped one that looks to be the only problem it has besides age. And I don't want nobody going to the boneyard to find my replacement because of my age. Atheist not until they give me the once over, oh and found my replacement. Knowledge is Power and I crave it especially when it's about something with a Bowtie on the front of it. Thanks for time and your replies as well Richard.

• Like 1

Thanks for explaining your circumstances. Those alternators were always very reliable compared to the early cs alternators that had bearing issues. They are easy to work on and worn brushes were the most common failure, they also fit many GM vehicles just by changing the clock position, a good 1 to keep on the shelf if you work on older stuff, Also it may self excite which makes it an easy adaptation to somewhere it wasn't intended to be just by running a wire to the battery. Lots of very experienced people here so come on back with any questions or advice to ask or give

How bout this tid bit i ran across on a blue oval forum! I redacted/deleted the useless banter that you would expect from those poor guys. I will most definitely add this to my bottomless pit of useless(ful at times) knowledge. Just leads me to more questions, but that's for another day...

GM Alternator Replacement for Ford made by Powermaster.....usually sold by JEG's or SUMMIT

It's actually a GM Alternator meant to be used in Ford cars for 1-wire setups.....since it has its own Internal Voltage Regulator inside it as all Post '70s GM Alternators do.

Done...

Next question....

Also, Your alternator is a GM "DELCO-REMY" Designed and Made Alternator......Rebuilt and Reconfigured by Powermaster for Ford cars in the Aftermarket.

2 hours ago, richard wysong said:

I see you have a 30 over 350 (355), any other mods to it? a very popular circle track motor here in the northeast

Check out the info i just up. Yes shes had/has a few mods. I'll have to get back to you on those after while if that's ok?! Taking the wife to work so I can do an oil change and tire rotation. I guess I'm not a PM service buyer anymore either lol. BTW, when she was a 383 she was built for street racing down here in the southeast. To Be Cont...