22' Custom build

Hey all, just got my 22 last month. Found one of the last ones on the lots in AZ and got a screaming deal. Ive made it all of about 1200 miles before my past life couldn't handle having it stock anymore. Grew up in the desert and raced off-road for years in 1450 and Class 5-1600, worked in the industry and finally settled down behind a desk when we had some kiddos. Im not going full long travel on it, its the family cruiser. But itll look good and hopefully I can help anyone along the way.

22 Custom 2WD with the 2.7L turbo which has been a very pleasant surprise. 

20230616_113545.thumb.jpg.135c74d1a3ab3c6f3c3403442f47a227.jpg

Here's the plan and whats been done/ordered already.

Performance:

-AFE Momentum intake w/dry filter

-AFE Bladerunner hot/cold charge pipes

-Stillen CAI valance/scoop - backordered

-Black Widow race venom muffler with resinator delete. Ill do that after the above is in, just waiting on the valance. 

Lights/appearance:

-Lasfit LED High and Low beams - These made a huge difference. PITA fit, but so much brighter.

- Black badging/lettering

- Full cover floor mats and underseat box

- Stubby antenna

Suspension: 

-CST Fabricated 3" lift spindles

-Bilstein 5100s set to .5" lift, maybe 1"

-Bilstein 5100s rear 0-1"  

-1" lift block maybe. See how it looks w/o

My truck sits 2" nose down stock, and eventually will go full coilovers and an upper arm, but with only really .5" of lift being put on the upper geometry those can all wait a bit.

IMG_20230801_225809.thumb.jpg.ccd9423610e937bfeda1d87f2ce4f15f.jpg

Tires:

Im still deciding here but narrowed down between

35x12.5R17 Kumho AT52s

Or

315/70R17 Toyo AT III's

Wheels:

Torn between these... Both -12 offset

17x9 Vision Wheel M2 overlands inGrey

17x9 Visiom Wheel Ojos in Black/Grey

Ill get photos up as stuff comes in and on. For the motor, im not expecting HP gains, im just trying to get the turbo spooling about 500rpm sooner and have a good sound, maybe make up some mpg. But i love the motor and it flys up the mountains when we go out of town while getting 20mpg+

Its absolutely hot as balls here, so I womt be installing anything for another month or so, just cluttering my garage. 

Ill do as many photos and notes as I can. Ive got a pretty good grasp on all things suspension wise, so feel free to ask any questions. 

• Thanks 1

Congrats on the beautiful truck.  If you can, I would suggest new front end suspension (Eibach or Bilstein) and an immediate alignment.  The front suspension on the 2WD generally ages quickly and the camber can go south on you even quicker, wearing out the inside of your tires prematurely.  Just something to keep an eye on.

Again, congrats on the beautiful truck I look forward to reading about your build.

1 hour ago, Gangly said:

Congrats on the beautiful truck.  If you can, I would suggest new front end suspension (Eibach or Bilstein) and an immediate alignment.  The front suspension on the 2WD generally ages quickly and the camber can go south on you even quicker, wearing out the inside of your tires prematurely.  Just something to keep an eye on.

Again, congrats on the beautiful truck I look forward to reading about your build.

Thanks!

Yup, i already have the lift spindles, and front/rear Bilstein 5100s in the garage. Then down the line a bit ill change out the upper arm for Icon or Mazzula and some coilovers. 

Im using the spindle to get the lift without having to preload any coil if any at all. This should keep the best possible ride quality with added track width and ground clearance. The lift spindle just drops the hub mounting location down and doesnt change any of the upper/lower arm geometry. The .5" or so ill have on the front Bilsteins will need an alignment though. 

Edited by Vincej138

So I am gonna give the Kumho AT52s a try. They are very similar to the first and second versions of the Toyo AT's which I loved. And they are considerably lighter, so if i can keep close to the same weight as the stock generals and 20s im all for that. 

Weve been under 110 deg. here for a few days so hopefully can get back to getting some stuff done on it as all the 5100s showed up so lift is all here. 

Adding pics of both spindles and the LEDs i went with. 

20230806_213139.thumb.jpg.a97fb18b2f05a9bf0c8ac5c823504e49.jpg

20230806_212817.thumb.jpg.e9c7247eed8cd2b45f5591c958cd9324.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bikerjon said:

Are those LEDs Lasfit Pros?

They are. I kinda went round and round with them, when you buy the High/low set, they sent me two sets of the H11's and not a H11  / 9005. Their position is that its the same mounting per bulb and just no reflector on the highs. Which is correct, but normally the 9005's have a diff lumen rating. I got the low's in already and I love them. Still need to put the highs in, but they are def not the easiest fit. I found that if you remove the O-ring from the stock bulb and swap it, they do go on a bit easier. Ill get the highs in this weekend and report back.

• 1 month later...

Finished it up last night. Need to swap the silver bagdes out still and the intake/charge pipes. Added a black tip on the exhaust as well. 

With 0 preload on the 5100s, it rides great and upper is in same position as stock at ride height.

Before

20230923_150212.thumb.jpg.1bf8c1af7d0535d3619d27f9251328e9.jpg

After

20230923_233411.thumb.jpg.06b04a5fd2591eaea95fcf3887596c6c.jpg

20230924_121128.thumb.jpg.552a76b932822d4c76c286d74572067c.jpg

20230924_115919.thumb.jpg.563b40df73e78220eda9c28265679299.jpg

• Like 1

Also, for anyone looking to do the fronts on their own, but scared about losing 3 fingers....this is the compressor I used. It felt much more stable and stronger than the typical ones you can rent from Autozone, and the bridge helped keep things even side to side. At no point did it feel like it was gonna pop or even bow any. I also just used some grease/lube on the threads to keep it smooth. Also, have a good pair of vice grips to hold the end of the shock shaft or a pass through socket.

https://www.amazon.com/BILITOOLS-2-Piece-Compressor-Macpherson-Load-2645LB/dp/B09PYR6NVF?th=1

On the front it started at 22" hub to fender lip. Its at 25" now, so the #1 notch on the shock with a 2.7L will be true stock setting as the spindle is giving the 3" of lift. I also used paint pens to mark centers on the spring seat and cap to keep all that aligned for re-install on the 5100's, then again for all the bolts to do an easy check for anything coming loose. 

Getting an alignment check today. Drives straight and true, but steering wheel is slightly left