Grease zerks “dry”

8 hours ago, Dunn said:

2020-2023 HD trucks I put a couple squirts....they looked low......one of em is a ****** to get too....need a 90 degree to get it I think

No big deal....every other or 3rd oil change I figure

Haven't checked rear diff yet...

Better check rear diff. You don’t need a 90 to get to any. Just a flexible hose and body 

On 10/18/2023 at 12:29 PM, newdude said:

The sealed ones in the 1500s typically last quite some time on 100% stock trucks, at least based on what I've seen at work.  Many in the GMT-900 and K2XX platform will easily go 80+thousand miles and still be on stock joints.  Uppers have a bad time when leveled.

That said, they are 1500s.  The HD trucks should keep them as they are way more typically exposed to higher front end loads (Duramax engine, snow plows on gas and especially diesels) so to me the ability to keep those components well lubricated is worth keeping otherwise there will be a much shorter service life for ball joints (and steering linkages) on plow trucks like over at camp Ford and camp Ram.  

That has not been my experience. The sealed units on my 2014 1500 Silverado didnt even make 30k before the lowers were smoked driving on the crappy roads in New England, truck was 100% stock. Dealer replaced them under warranty and they were smoked again before the truck hit 60k. The 06 1500 i had prior to that had a fully greasable front end and i didn't put lower ball joints in it until the boots tore at like 150k. That truck is still driven by my nephew and has over 300k on it now. Other than the ball joints i put in at 150k and the wheel bearings that i replaced twice the rest of the front end is still original and it still passes a state inspection annually and in Mass they will check the front end....

When it comes to the 24, yea mine were dry too. Dealer did not touch them at the first oil change either. I ended up giving every zerk a few pumps of Lucas Red N Tacky like i did every time i dropped the oil on that 06 i previously mentioned.

Edited by nitro882

1 hour ago, nitro882 said:

The sealed units on my 2014 1500 Silverado didnt even make 30k before the lowers were smoked driving on the crappy roads in New England, truck was 100% stock. Dealer replaced them under warranty and they were smoked again before the truck hit 60k.

YIKES!! 175K on my 2015 and still on the original set. Illinois crappy roads. :mad:

• Like 1