4L60e transmission swap

Started a new thread:

I have a 2000 K2500 4x4 ext cab. I would presume (reading the posts) it's a 4L80e. My question is, will my k2500 4x4 transmission fit into a 2001 1500 4x4 Silverado? Both are on the floor shifts. I am presuming the Silverado has the 4L60e. Would this be correct? TIA

I did read it's possible but seemed a little techy to me. I'm just a dumb ol carpenter.

Yes it's possible but it's not as easy as it sounds.

The 4L80e is overall a different length than a 4L60, then the heavy duty trucks can run different transfer cases with different input shaft spline count. The flex plates are different, the wiring is different and require changes to that. Then you need to get your driveshafts redone for the new lengths required. Followed by a tune to make it work.

It's a popular swap in the performance world because the 4L60 is made of glass in stock form at high power levels and costs a ton of money to build. Where as a stock 4L80 can handle 500+ horsepower without a care in the world.

• Like 1

I paid $3k to get my 4L60E built up to a 4L65E My 4L60 E had the usual issues that required an rebuild. My guy did the labor and overhaul/upgrade, it included a year warranty that he performed on, the torque converter was acting up, we tried a friction modifier and that didn't do it. the next day he replaced the converter, no problems since. For everybody's info he stressed (part of the warranty) that I use genuine AC Delco Dextron 6. in the tranny, I also use it in the Xfer case. I also installed a plate in the xfer case so the oil pump would not rub a hole in the top rear of the xfer case. I installed an after market trans fluid cooler, bigger than GM's.  I consider it money well spent.