2011 Chevy Avalanche Oil Cooler Lines "5.3

Service1956

Question

Looking at engine oil cooling lines when changing oil. They are leaking where the rubber is crimped into the aluminum. Yea it's 4WD. But I can still get at the 10mm bolts that go into the engine block above the oil filter. The real problem is replacing, that seems to be a difficult job from the block to the radiator. I am thinking about a delete that would eliminate the hoses by buying the GM bypass block that came with other trucks without engine oil cooling. I would be driving it without hauling or towing.

Dealer wants $725 to replacing the lines. Would doing a delete cause any issues in the future?

1 answer to this question

1 hour ago, Service1956 said:

Looking at engine oil cooling lines when changing oil. They are leaking where the rubber is crimped into the aluminum. Yea it's 4WD. But I can still get at the 10mm bolts that go into the engine block above the oil filter. The real problem is replacing, that seems to be a difficult job from the block to the radiator. I am thinking about a delete that would eliminate the hoses by buying the GM bypass block that came with other trucks without engine oil cooling. I would be driving it without hauling or towing.

Dealer wants $725 to replacing the lines. Would doing a delete cause any issues in the future?

Sure, it can be done.  12611384 is the gasket, 12577903 is the cover and 11588714 for the 2 bolts. 

I (unfortunately) know of a couple local used car dealers to me that do this to almost every 99-13 they get, even the HD pickups.  Cut the lines, pull them and block the passage with the block kit.    

Typically changing the lines you've got to lower the front diff to get enough clearance.  

Oil cooler was optional on 99-13 trucks typically so if it wasn't ordered with the tow package or max trailer or Vortec Max they didn't always come with it so they built them both ways.  Obviously the radiators were without the oil cooler in them.  

Edited by newdude