What to do? Keep 2019 Colorado, or trade/sell for 2024 Colorado?

Hi All,

Son has a 2019 Colorado LT with 4WD, cloth - and, only 40,000 miles.   He is considering trade/sell for 2024 Colorado - same basic equipment.

I really like the engine/transmission combo and how his truck drives, tows, and the great reliability.  Should we be concerned about the change from V-6 to I-4 (with Turbo) - yeah, I know the power numbers, but the difference is more than just power ... btw, in Florida, so the offset from turbo at altitude in places like Colorado is not a factor.

What would you folks do?

2 hours ago, ForumUser said:

Hi All,

Son has a 2019 Colorado LT with 4WD, cloth - and, only 40,000 miles.   He is considering trade/sell for 2024 Colorado - same basic equipment.

I really like the engine/transmission combo and how his truck drives, tows, and the great reliability.  Should we be concerned about the change from V-6 to I-4 (with Turbo) - yeah, I know the power numbers, but the difference is more than just power ... btw, in Florida, so the offset from turbo at altitude in places like Colorado is not a factor.

What would you folks do?

The younger me would trade in every two three years. The older me says if she’s trouble free keep on going. 

I'd do it.  The Turbomax is a great powertrain over the 3.6.  Plus the new Colorado is a really nice truck.  I had a 2016 Colorado but ended up back in a Silverado and I will likely go back to Colorado again because of the new one.  

Edited by newdude

Posted (edited)

newdude,

Delve a bit deeper, for me - why would the 2.7 four cylinder (even with a turbo - 310 HP/390 ftlbs - admittedly more torque) be better (especially in this case in the flatlands) than the LGZ 3.6 - both have out same tow rating?

Thanks!

Edited by ForumUser

57 minutes ago, ForumUser said:

newdude,

Delve a bit deeper, for me - why would the 2.7 four cylinder (even with a turbo - 310 HP/390 ftlbs - admittedly more torque) be better (especially in this case in the flatlands) than the LGZ 3.6 - both have out same tow rating?

Thanks!

430 torque.  the 390 version was killed off for 2024.

Its able to do work with less RPM/effort.  The Turbomax engine makes about 350-370ft.lbs at 1500rpm, peaks at 430ft.lbs at 3000rpm.  Doesn't require the RPM range that the 3.6 needs to pass or pull a trailer.  

How about longevity - remember those four cylinders are working harder - unless the internal are superior in some way, it would seem loafing along with a V-6 without the complexity of the turbocharger and associated cooling challenges would be at least as good.

My sense is that while some discuss the MPG being better on I-4s, the V-6s seem to do better, there, too.

OEMs have been moving to smaller engines with turbochargers - less weight, less cost (to the OEM), sure ... but, not sure it answers the "average person's" needs as well.

36 minutes ago, ForumUser said:

How about longevity - remember those four cylinders are working harder - unless the internal are superior in some way, it would seem loafing along with a V-6 without the complexity of the turbocharger and associated cooling challenges would be at least as good.

My sense is that while some discuss the MPG being better on I-4s, the V-6s seem to do better, there, too.

OEMs have been moving to smaller engines with turbochargers - less weight, less cost (to the OEM), sure ... but, not sure it answers the "average person's" needs as well.

Entire bottom end of the 2.7 is forged, tri metal bearings, etc.  Its built like the 3.0 Duramax its related to (both are part of the GM Cylinder Set Strategy engine family).  

• Thanks 1