2024 tailgate button on key fob

Just bought a new Silverado with the power tailgate release button on the key fob. I hate it and really have no need for this button! Several times getting out of the truck with my fob in my pocket the tailgate opens because the button on the fob gets hit from my leg movement. I would like to disable this fob button but upon taking the fob apart I’ve found it’s not like the old fobs. No easy way to get to the back side of the buttons to disable them. Anyone have any ideas or solutions? 

2 hours ago, keysdog said:

Just bought a new Silverado with the power tailgate release button on the key fob. I hate it and really have no need for this button! Several times getting out of the truck with my fob in my pocket the tailgate opens because the button on the fob gets hit from my leg movement. I would like to disable this fob button but upon taking the fob apart I’ve found it’s not like the old fobs. No easy way to get to the back side of the buttons to disable them. Anyone have any ideas or solutions? 

Free fix.  Don't put the fob in your pocket.

Get a keychain or carabiner and clip it to your belt loop.  Or get some sort of key fob pouch.  

Problem solved. I experimented on my spare fob. Couldn’t figure out how to get to the back side of the button. Took the fob apart and didn’t see anyway to do it without breaking something. Then I had the bright idea to go at the button side. Using a tiny flat blade I pried up the edge of the tailgate button and worked my way around until it finally came off. Turns out it is just glued to the silicone membrane underneath.
Next step was to use a Dremel tool to grind off the tit on the bottom of the button cover. I thought that might be enough to solve the problem but it’s not. The silicone membrane has a tit inside that was activating to switch. I gently took a razor blade and cut the center out of the silicone membrane. Then it was just a matter of gluing the button cover back on.

Now the tailgate button totally disabled on the fob. No more surprise tailgate openings! I rarely haul anything and although it’s a nice feature, I can live with the button on the dash and on the gate.

IMG_2109.thumb.jpeg.2cbfd8861f888d159b14a63318e49e01.jpegIMG_2112.thumb.jpeg.5cec9baed1879813b04df088539a440a.jpeg

• Like 1