NAV and 6 disk changer in a Silverado

Well, if that's what you did and it works then I'll follow your example. I've got my cable, now I'm trying to get a changer from a guy I found that has one online.

the one more modification that linda and i had to do was to cut/grind a little plastic piece behind the bezel (you'll see when you take the bezel off) area inorder to get the cd changer to slide in all the way. this is the only cutting you'll probably have to do. we talked about this on one of the earlier posts. with this little piece out of the way, the cd changer slides in perfectly and just use two tapping screw to hold it in place. for me grinding away the plastic piece provided me with an opening to run the cable through from the head unit to the cd changer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this is the piece you are talking about cutting to allow more room for the changer. Hope this picture helps.

Picture

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a 2005 Envoy with a Bose Audio system and most of the extras like Onstar, XM, Steering wheel controls rear controlls and DVD entertainment package.

I have read through this very long forum becuase I want to swap out my head unit for the navigation touch screen unit.  The original numbers people were saying to buy was 10377287 but now all I see is just 15800001 or 15800000.  Can Someone please tell me which models will work for my truck.  Also how do I know if mine is the Lux or non Lux model.

Does the DVD have to be in the whole time for the navigation to work?

Thanks for you help

Here is a REAL good source of all this info compressed down to just data:

(Note: part numbers are listed here to)

TNR INSTALL INFO

Yes, the nav dvd needs to be in to be navigating. If you want to play cds at same time, you need add a cd changer.

dave

How do I know if mine is the lux on none lux model

Look in the glove box, if you find a code that says Y91 or Y92, you have the LUX package. If you see U6C (I think) you have the non-LUX package. If I were to bet, you don't have the LUX package. It's only seen on the Escalades and Denalis.

Its UC6. Pisses me off. I have the LT package and they skimp out on the AMP. :)

• 2 weeks later...
correct Mike, that harness is the "SLAVE" harness cable thats the same for all GM slave devices since 1998-2002, so we have to modify it a bit to work for us.  What you do is plug the one end into your slave device (6 cd changer) then use the fancy "PINOUT" document that I made, to hook the other end to the head unit.  The other end needs to have the pins pulled out of the connector and inserted in their correct spots in the 12 way harness on the back of your head unit.  The 24 way harness is your main, that includes speaker outs, data bus, voltage, etc.  The 12 way harness is your "AUX" input, its used for OnStar, slave devices, and i think thats where XM would tie in also, but im not sure about that one yet.  Im still looking for info on the XM hookup.  My truck being a Silverado, does not even have an option from the factory for a 6 disk changer in the console.  So NO, i had no harness for the changer, just was lucky enough to fall in good with a few guys who gave me pinouts and schematics so i could create my own harness.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im still confused about some stuff, but I will continue to re-read posts till I get it. I do have a question though. About this "Slave" thing. I assume it works something like IDE channels on PC's, only there is only 1 in our vehicles. If I wanted mp3 compatibility, and found a changer that handled mp3s, could I hook this up in place of the regular 6disc changer? Im sorry if this seems like a dumb question. I know I need to get rid of this "Dumb" Bose crap amp before I go nuts. I hauled an Escalade today, along with a Honda Odyssey. Man, GM really pisses me off after I saw the electronics in this Odyssey. It was touch screen navigation, and when you put the vehicle in reverse, the screen switches over to a live camera view of the rear. How cool is that? I mean yea, it may not be a big deal to most people. It just pisses me off how advanced these foreign cars are becoming, while we still end up paying all this money for the "LT" package, only to get a hunk of metal for an AMP. Hehe. I love your setup, I just want to be able to pop in cds full of MP3's. Thanks.

-Brian

• 1 month later...
I just installed the TNR and six disc changer upgrade into my 2004 suburban, the wiring changes posted here worked perfectly for both the amp and cd changer.

I would just like to give one helpful hint to anyone planning this. Make sure you remove all of the wires that show not used, specifically the B11 pink wire. If it is left in there will be no sound and the amp is putting full battery voltage onto the data bus, which is not a good thing. Everything else is simple and straight forward. and a great upgrade.

Thanks for the great posts here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you tell me where you found the wiring changes? Thanks,Ron

• 3 weeks later...

I've got an amp-rewiring question:

I have seen 2 different amp rewiring techniques. One only mentions changes involving the 24-pin connector, and the other mentions making some changes in the other, smaller connector. Are these 'extra' changes necessary?

Also, I have just posted a question about amp programming in a new thread in this same 'radio & sound' section. If the experts would take a look at that question as well, I'd be grateful.

Looking forward to nav and lux sound in my silverado :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought what was supposed to be a lux navigation HU. After completing the installation according to the great instructions found here, I hear door chimes but no sound comes out of the radio. I read a post about a guy with a Denali who had the same problem...rear headphone jacks work but no sound from speakers. The funny thing is that when I press VOL+ and VOL- there is no indication on the screen that I'm even doing anything. Does this seem indicative of a non-lux HU or some other problem? I don't think the amp is bad because the chimes work. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, by the way my HU does not have "Spacious" and "Driver" like so many of you have mentioned. I just have "EQ1" "EQ2" "EQ3" "EQ4" and "Custom."

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have an Envoy. Is the amp what is underneath the rear passenger seat?? I checked and the part # was 15078101. Is that lux or non-lux?

Im confused because I do not have the Y91 or Y92 RPO Codes, but have the 6 disc bose head unit and also have auto volume, "spatial" auto equalizer option, and mid-range adjustment. I thought only lux head units have that.

• 2 weeks later...

I am the owner of an 06 Siera Crew Cab, HD2500, DMAX W/ Allison 6 speed. I am thinking about installing this mod as my truck does not have Nav or XM. It seems to have everything else. I was not in the market for a new truck as my 99 silv. was just fine but a friend of mine worked at a stealership that had his license pulled for more than one reason.#@%$@%%. Anyway, it worked out good for a few of us as he had some 06's on the lot the day the doors officialy closed and we actualy did get a GOOD DEAL. We even recieved the factory "hold back $" as well. Not bragging but it does feel good to actually get a "deal" as it were, 30+% off sticker. Anyway, I guess I was bragging a bit, sorry.n I would like to install this NAV mod w/ the 6 Disc. as well. Does anyone have a pic of this mod w/ the "NAV"ON? I have never seen one lit up. Please post or email me w/ pic's Thanks! Mike.

[email protected] :cool:

I would also like to have a hard wired IPOD interface, is this possible?

Thanks again! Mike :D

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've *finally* just finished reading every last post on every last page, and don't see the answer to my question (yes, it's true!)

I have a NON-Bose truck. I don't want Bose. I just want TNR NAV.

So far, the *only* solution I've found is an $1800 setup from JP Customs. (gulp!)

I saw this question posted earlier on this thread, but not answered. I'm hoping the passage of time has brought with it the solution?

Thanks

JL

OK, I've *finally* just finished reading every last post on every last page, and don't see the answer to my question (yes, it's true!)

I have a NON-Bose truck. I don't want Bose. I just want TNR NAV.

So far, the *only* solution I've found is an $1800 setup from JP Customs. (gulp!)

I saw this question posted earlier on this thread, but not answered. I'm hoping the passage of time has brought with it the solution?

Thanks

JL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What exactly do you have? I am not sure its posible without that custom kit from JP.

I had a nonlux bose system. this was a more intese install because I had to do the pin configurations and replace the amp with the "smart" Bose amp. It also uses a data bus connection. SO I am not sure how that comes into play either.

If you do not have a bose system..I am not sure how you can get it to work. I would like to know too...

good luck

I've learned some since my last post, mostly from the diesel site. Looks like I have three options:

1) Convert my truck to Bose (no way - doesn't sound good enough for me & not worth the money & the hassle)

2) Find the rare non-Bose TNR - sometimes available on eBay, but available more reliably from JP for $1800 (NFW!! Too dang expensive - if it's that option, I'll go with aftermarket)

3) Evidently there's a 3rd option - use a non-Lux Bose TNR with an AOEM-GM24 converter & run aftermarket amps. This is what it looks like I will do, since I was planning on running aftermarket amps & speakers anyway. BUT, before I do, I'd really like to find someone who has made this work. Right now, all I have is "I've heard it will work".

Archived