NAV and 6 disk changer in a Silverado

I'm in the process of adding the TNR, 6 Disc Changer and DVD RSE to my truck and much to my surprise the 6 disc changer doesn't fit in the console retainer of my truck. The radio mounting bullet and console receiver don't line up and there are no places for mounting screws either. I ended up ripping the whole console out so I can replace the retainer with one from a SUV that had the 6 disc changer as an option.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have read all and know what i need to buy for the nav upgrade. the only question i have is do i do lux or non-lux. i an confused cause i do have bose and no y91 or y92 BUT i do have auto volume spacious and midbass adjustment.

do i or don't i any help would be awsome

i will buy a new headunit it looks as though must people with the ebay and used are having the problems

I have an 04 Sierra extended cab SLT.  It has a radio in it that has a 6-disk changer and xm.  I would like to put in the factory nav system that I have been reading about in this forum.  What do I need.  The speaker grills have Bose on them.  I would like to end up with the navigation system and xm and a cd changer.

The glove box sticker does not show a y91 option.  Also I want the steering wheel controls to continue to work.

Thanks

:driving:

All you need is a Non-lux Bose Nav unit, the GPS antenna, mapping DVD.

You will have to add a VSS (vehicle speed signal) wire from the gauge cluster connector (A4 position) to the 12 pin connector on the radio (E position). That is optional but it allows the nav unit to coninue to function when the GPS signal is weak or lost.

All of things like XM, Onstar, wheel controls, and rear seat audio will continue to work as they did before.

If you want the 6 disc changer, you will need to get one made for the 03 to current vehicles and the harness for it (#15312903)

GPS antenna - 15135178

map DVD - 10390370 (version 3.0)

Nav HU - 10377287 (TNR-touchscreen model)

or

Nav HU - 15108421 (INR-joystick model)

6 disc changer - 15055250 (there are many different numbers that will work)

I have been shopping on e-bay for the correct unit and I have a question. One item says it is for a no-lux system. Non Y91 or non UQ7 option. I checked my list again and it does NOT have the Y91 listed but it DOES have the UQ7 listed. What does this mean. Thanks. The unit is a 15229287

UQ7 is the Bose speaker system, you could have that with the lux or the non-lux amp.

If you don't see Y91 or Y92 then you don't have the lux amp.

Thanks a lot. :driving: The unit is 15229287 and from other posts I assume this will work. Just want to make sure. You have been extemley helpful

UQ7 is the Bose speaker system, you could have that with the lux or the non-lux amp.

If you don't see Y91 or Y92 then you don't have the lux amp.

Thanks a lot. :driving: The unit is 15229287 and from other posts I assume this will work. Just want to make sure. You have been extemley helpful

15229287 is a non lux and will work for you.

• 2 weeks later...
I just finished the TNR upgrade to my non-lux '03 GMC Sierra.  Works great!!  I am now adding the 6CD changer.  I have one question.  What to do with the Instrument panel dimming connection on the changer pin 8.  Does this coonect to the TNR connector C1 pin B4.  It seems logical, but I am not sure with my non-lux amp.

Roger

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't need that wire, there are 3 wires in the changer harness that you don't use.

The lights and dimming is done through the databus wire.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, understand.

I just received the GM 15312903 Harness for the changer. It fits, but the color code is different from the Changer connector drawing. Is this normal?

I removed the pins from the connector on one end of the harness and powered up the changer using pin 15 ORN for power and pin 13 BLK for ground. I left all other pins disconnected.

The changer powers up and flashes lights and appears to cycle, but will not load a CD. It appears to be hanging up and making a buzzing noise. Does the data buss need to be connected for the changer to load a disc and operate?

Thanks

Roger

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have the correct harness, and Yes, the colors are different because that harness is actually for the 02 and earlier cd slave units.

I'm not sure what you are calling pin 15 and 13.

The power wire goes to B1 (orange) on the headunits C1 connector (24 pin)

the ground wire goes to A12 (black w/ white)

the databus wire goes to A1 (small orange)

The data wire does need to be connected before the CDX will function properly, but I don't know if it matters for loading the Cd's

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I sent the CDX out for repair. Turns out the changer mecanism is jammed and does not appear to be repairable. It is made by Panasonic. Any ideas please.

Roger

:thumbs: I just completed the lux conversion this morning. Everything went fine, the only problem is that my driver side and rear speakers have no sound, only the front passenger side. All else is good, steering wheel controls etc.... Has any one else had this problem. The vehicle is a 2005 Chevy Crew Cab, 1500. I am going to check to see if i pluged in the proper wires for the outputs, that is all i can think of right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :seeya:

Okay, 30+ pages of reading and I'm so confused. I hope what I want to do is as easy as plug and play. I have a 2003 Cadillac Escalade. I have the Y91 option listed in the glovebox as well as the "Spacious" option amoung others. I have the 6 disc changer already. Tell me if I'm incorrect in assuming that I can get a Touchscreen NAV HU and it should be plug and play, but I will also need a GPS antenna for under my dash as well as the NAV DVD...

Can somebody give me part numbers?

I'm in the process of adding the TNR, 6 Disc Changer and DVD RSE to my truck and much to my surprise the 6 disc changer doesn't fit in the console retainer of my truck.  The radio mounting bullet and console receiver don't line up and there are no places for mounting screws either.  I ended up ripping the whole console out so I can replace the retainer with one from a SUV that had the 6 disc changer as an option.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, this is mildly amusing...quoting my first post.

Anyways, I have a Panasonic 6 disc cd changer GM #15110393, Panasonic #CX-CG0462X and this thing does not fit in my IP at all. I got some pics posted here:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45172

Do I need to be using another CD changer? The only CD changers I can find at work are the part number above and I'm going to have to do some major hacking on my IP to get the thing to fit.

BTW, I was quoted over a $1k at the dealer for a console that was compatible with this CD changer. I need a small piece of the console but GM sells it as a huge assembly...bleh.

I'm in the process of adding the TNR, 6 Disc Changer and DVD RSE to my truck and much to my surprise the 6 disc changer doesn't fit in the console retainer of my truck.  The radio mounting bullet and console receiver don't line up and there are no places for mounting screws either.  I ended up ripping the whole console out so I can replace the retainer with one from a SUV that had the 6 disc changer as an option.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah, this is mildly amusing...quoting my first post.

Anyways, I have a Panasonic 6 disc cd changer GM #15110393, Panasonic #CX-CG0462X and this thing does not fit in my IP at all. I got some pics posted here:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45172

Do I need to be using another CD changer? The only CD changers I can find at work are the part number above and I'm going to have to do some major hacking on my IP to get the thing to fit.

BTW, I was quoted over a $1k at the dealer for a console that was compatible with this CD changer. I need a small piece of the console but GM sells it as a huge assembly...bleh.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi I am about to do the same to my 05 CC Z71, I have my lux amp on the way, I allready have my HU in hand along with backup camera & ipod interface but will need to add the cd changer , I have been looking for a center console from a sierra denali actually found one on ebay but that was before I figured out what I needed, how did this turn out for you, let me know.

thanks Bob

Hi I am about to do the same to my 05 CC Z71, I have my lux amp on the way, I allready have my HU in hand along with backup camera & ipod interface but will need to add the cd changer , I have been looking for a center console from a sierra denali actually found one on ebay but that was before I figured out what I needed, how did this turn out for you, let me know.

thanks Bob

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

An Ipod adapter will replicate the CD Changer in your car, so i wouldnt recomend installing it since you cant use both at the same time

Archived