NAV and 6 disk changer in a Silverado

Just wanted to thank everybody in this forum for the valuable information about this NAV & CD changer install. I finally did it and I'm so happy with the results. At the beggining I was worried about what some of the members here said about the soud quality of the Non-Lux Nav. system but I can honestly say the from my experience, the sound quality is much better with the Non-Lux Nav system than the original radio cassette cd. I bought my system brand new from Jason at JP Customs who is a real pleasure to deal with. He made me feel like I've known him for years just talking to him over the phone. He really made my experience of buying from JP Customs a pleasurable experience. Also the reasons I decided to buy from JP Customs are:

1- The units are brendnew so I don't have to go to the dealer.

2- The warranty they give is uncomparable. 3Yrs/ 3600 miles if the truck is new or the remaining of the GM warranty Or 1 year if you passed the warranty period whichever is longer.

3- If you compare the price for a new unit from gmpartsdirect you'll find out that the difference in price don't worth it especially if you read the fine prints on gmparts direct, it'll tell you that there is no warranty at all on the units they sell for the upgrade purposes ant it might even void your warranty.

At the end, I am really happy with this new upgrade. Definately woth the money.

I think I forgot to mention that I did the 6 cd slot changer too. Thanks to everybody.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay first post here. Thanks everybody for all the info. I have successfully removed my stock 6 disc radio with an inr nav unit (easy). I decided to keep the non-lux amp. I'm a rookie at this stuff and it seemed the easiest path of least resistance. Now I would like to add a 6 disc cd changer in the pocket on the console. I purchased a changer that is appropriate for my model year - 2004. The harness wiring appears to be the most difficult part best I can tell. My question is this - can the part number GM12-MFF eliminate the need to splice and cut. It looks like it is simply a y harness for the 12 pin HU input. Has anybody tried this? Please let me know what u think. Thanks!

link:

http://www.radiosandmore.com/prod_detail.asp?pn=GM12-MFF

Okay first post here.  Thanks everybody for all the info.  I have successfully removed my stock 6 disc radio with an inr nav unit (easy).  I decided to keep the non-lux amp.  I'm a rookie at this stuff and it seemed the easiest path of least resistance.  Now I would like to add a 6 disc cd changer in the pocket on the console.  I purchased a changer that is appropriate for my model year - 2004.  The harness wiring appears to be the most difficult part best I can tell.  My question is this - can the part number GM12-MFF eliminate the need to splice and cut.  It looks like it is simply a y harness for the 12 pin HU input.  Has anybody tried this?  Please let me know what u think.  Thanks!

link:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The GM12-MFF will only provide you with the audio inputs, you will still need to splice into the 24 pin connector or wires to get the databus signal, 12 volt positive, and a ground. So in others words the GM12-MFF will only save you the trouble of splicing the 3 audio wires, the left pos., right pos., and the common.

Okay first post here.  Thanks everybody for all the info.  I have successfully removed my stock 6 disc radio with an inr nav unit (easy).  I decided to keep the non-lux amp.  I'm a rookie at this stuff and it seemed the easiest path of least resistance.  Now I would like to add a 6 disc cd changer in the pocket on the console.  I purchased a changer that is appropriate for my model year - 2004.  The harness wiring appears to be the most difficult part best I can tell.  My question is this - can the part number GM12-MFF eliminate the need to splice and cut.  It looks like it is simply a y harness for the 12 pin HU input.  Has anybody tried this?  Please let me know what u think.  Thanks!

link:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The GM12-MFF will only provide you with the audio inputs, you will still need to splice into the 24 pin connector or wires to get the databus signal, 12 volt positive, and a ground. So in others words the GM12-MFF will only save you the trouble of splicing the 3 audio wires, the left pos., right pos., and the common.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks a lot for the quick response. That was what I had thought although hoped that maybe something had come along that might be plug and play. Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. here is the situation. I have a 2003 ENVOY SLT with Bose 6-disc in-dash CD, Onstar, RSA, Steering wheel controls, etc. I do not have Y91 (which I don't believe applies to Envoy/TB's) listed but do have UQA option listed. My Bose HU has the "Spacious, Driver, Rear, Passenger" sound field options that work well. This led me to believe that I have the Lux-amp.

So, I upgraded to a LUX-Nav Part #10377531 and the USA-Spec External 6-disc CD Changer. Everything seems to works fine...steering wheel controls, nav, RSA, On-star. Sound is OK (a little lacking in the bass dep't) but the"Spacious, Passenger, Rear" sound fields don't seem to do anything. Only the "Driver" sound field changes the sound quality. This led me to believe that I don't have the Lux-amp. But everything else works fine. So I was the told that the Envoys/TB's recieved a "Lux-Like" amp which uses the Class II data bus for volume and balance/fader control much in the same way a GMT-800 LUX amp does, but, it doesnt have any onboard DSP for creating the different sound fields. Its more or less a "bastardized" amp setup kinda think of it as a "wanna-be" Lux amp. I then tore apart my rear cargo area to find this elusive amp. It is a Bose amp but looks nothing like the pictures of the Non-Lux or Lux amps I've seen on this forum. The part # is 15187195. It has 3 connectors not 2.

A search on gmpartsdirect.com revealed that it's an expensive little bugger!!!

530$ from GM Parts Direct!! 960$ GM List price!!!!.

I'm wondering if I can just swap out this amp with a 3-connector Lux-amp. Would it just be a matter of simply swapping and connecting the 3-connectors or would I have to do any tinkering? The Bose Audio Pilot micophone for Auto Volume Control doesn't really concern me, as long as I could improve the sound quality I'm getting. Don't get me wrong...the quality is good...but the bass is a little lacking and I would love to have access to the DSP sound fields (Especially the "Spacious" mode).

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :seeya:

Ok.  here is the situation.  I have a 2003 ENVOY SLT with Bose 6-disc in-dash CD, Onstar, RSA, Steering wheel controls, etc.  I do not have Y91 (which I don't believe applies to Envoy/TB's) listed but do have UQA option listed.  My Bose HU has the "Spacious, Driver, Rear, Passenger" sound field options that work well.  This led me to believe that I have the Lux-amp.

So, I upgraded to a LUX-Nav Part #10377531  and the USA-Spec External 6-disc CD Changer.  Everything seems to works fine...steering wheel controls, nav, RSA, On-star.  Sound is OK (a little lacking in the bass dep't) but the"Spacious, Passenger, Rear" sound fields don't seem to do anything.  Only the "Driver" sound field changes the sound quality.  This led me to believe that I don't have the Lux-amp.  But everything else works fine.  So I was the told that the Envoys/TB's recieved a "Lux-Like" amp which uses the Class II data bus for volume and balance/fader control much in the same way a GMT-800 LUX amp does, but, it doesnt have any onboard DSP for creating the different sound fields. Its more or less a "bastardized" amp setup kinda think of it as a "wanna-be" Lux amp.  I then tore apart my rear cargo area to find this elusive amp.  It is a Bose amp but looks nothing like the pictures of the Non-Lux or Lux amps I've seen on this forum.  The part # is 15187195.  It has 3 connectors not 2.

530$ from GM Parts Direct!!  960$ GM List price!!!!.

I'm wondering if I can just swap out this amp with a 3-connector Lux-amp. Would it just be a matter of simply swapping and connecting the 3-connectors or would I have to do any tinkering? The Bose Audio Pilot micophone for Auto Volume Control doesn't really concern me, as long as I could improve the sound quality I'm getting. Don't get me wrong...the quality is good...but the bass is a little lacking and I would love to have access to the DSP sound fields (Especially the "Spacious" mode).

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :seeya:

Not sure swapping the amp will work, but if you decide to try a NON-LUX NAV Unit I'll buy your LUX one for my Escalade. Is it the TNR? How much would you want for it? Email me @ [email protected]

Ok.  here is the situation.  I have a 2003 ENVOY SLT with Bose 6-disc in-dash CD, Onstar, RSA, Steering wheel controls, etc.  I do not have Y91 (which I don't believe applies to Envoy/TB's) listed but do have UQA option listed.  My Bose HU has the "Spacious, Driver, Rear, Passenger" sound field options that work well.  This led me to believe that I have the Lux-amp.

So, I upgraded to a LUX-Nav Part #10377531  and the USA-Spec External 6-disc CD Changer.  Everything seems to works fine...steering wheel controls, nav, RSA, On-star.  Sound is OK (a little lacking in the bass dep't) but the"Spacious, Passenger, Rear" sound fields don't seem to do anything.  Only the "Driver" sound field changes the sound quality.  This led me to believe that I don't have the Lux-amp.  But everything else works fine.  So I was the told that the Envoys/TB's recieved a "Lux-Like" amp which uses the Class II data bus for volume and balance/fader control much in the same way a GMT-800 LUX amp does, but, it doesnt have any onboard DSP for creating the different sound fields. Its more or less a "bastardized" amp setup kinda think of it as a "wanna-be" Lux amp.  I then tore apart my rear cargo area to find this elusive amp.  It is a Bose amp but looks nothing like the pictures of the Non-Lux or Lux amps I've seen on this forum.  The part # is 15187195.  It has 3 connectors not 2.

530$ from GM Parts Direct!!  960$ GM List price!!!!.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :cool:

Not sure swapping the amp will work, but if you decide to try a NON-LUX NAV Unit I'll buy your LUX one for my Escalade. Is it the TNR? How much would you want for it? Email me @ [email protected]

I don't think that a non-lux Nav would work in my truck.

One question... do all Lux Amps have 3-connectors, and do all Non-Lux Amps have 2-connectors?

Thanks again in advance. :D

• 2 weeks later...
UQ7 is the Bose speaker system, you could have that with the lux or the non-lux amp.

If you don't see Y91 or Y92 then you don't have the lux amp.

Thanks a lot. :cheers: The unit is 15229287 and from other posts I assume this will work. Just want to make sure. You have been extemley helpful

After all this time I have finally purchased a nav unit from e-bay. It is a new 2006 model for a non lux application and it came complete with head unit, 4.1 dvd, and antenna. I installed it and everything seems to work fine except for one small problem. The indicator on the gps screen for the vehicle does not point in the direction the vehichle is traveling. It is showing the correct position on the road but is kind of jerky because I have not figured out the vss wire yet. Can anyone help me on this? Thanks

UQ7 is the Bose speaker system, you could have that with the lux or the non-lux amp.

If you don't see Y91 or Y92 then you don't have the lux amp.

Thanks a lot. :cheers: The unit is 15229287 and from other posts I assume this will work. Just want to make sure. You have been extemley helpful

After all this time I have finally purchased a nav unit from e-bay. It is a new 2006 model for a non lux application and it came complete with head unit, 4.1 dvd, and antenna. I installed it and everything seems to work fine except for one small problem. The indicator on the gps screen for the vehicle does not point in the direction the vehichle is traveling. It is showing the correct position on the road but is kind of jerky because I have not figured out the vss wire yet. Can anyone help me on this? Thanks

you do need the vss wire I have seen where many people said you did not need it but it works very eractic without it, I would put a switch in the wire so your passenger can program the TNR while you are moving & if you trvel very far with the switch in the open position it will take some time before the TNR corrects itself as to your position, you need to add the VSS wire to the HU 12 pin connector in the "E" position, this should be empty, you can pick up VSS at the gauge cluster connector in the A4 position and it should be a dark green wire with white tracer, the terminal you need for the E position in the 12 pin connector is a gm part # 12089649, this should get you going.

good luck Bob

I am about to add Nav to my recently purchased 2006 Z71 Crew Cab, and the in-dash slot cd changer, wondering if anyone has directions/pictures on how to modify the console pocket to make the 6 disc slot loading cd player fit?

Thanks.

Archived