NAV and 6 disk changer in a Silverado

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does this radio look like the right one?  It seems to be missing some buttons.

Nav Radio For Sale On Ebay

I ask because I was not the winning bidder, but now the seller is contacting me trying to sell one at my highest bid ($600).

Also, his approach in his email seems a little weird.

Thanks

Mike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That unit will NOT work in a GM truck or SUV. That is a Denso nav unit, it is made for the Caddy cars. Our trucks and SUV's use the Delphi made nav units.

Linda I am new to the forum and was wondering about the amp, I have the bose 6cd with onstar without xm yet. I am wanting to get my xm thru the radio and was also toying with the idea of going for the new nav system. I have decided to do this versus buying a new burb, because GM only wants to give me 20000 for my 2 year old Burb. I only wanted to trade in for the Nav system anyway. Question goes like this, do I need a new amp to power the nav system or will my factory system which is the 6cd changer Bose amp work? Also what about the mic, will my onstar mic work? and also is your setup touchscreen?

Very excited about upgrading my Burb and await any info you might have.

Freewilly

First off, hello--new to the forum. Thanks to all who have contributed to the massive amount of info in this thread. I've read through the entire thread and have a question I haven't seen addressed here yet. I have an '05 GMC CC with Bose non-lux system. In addition to upgrading to the nav radio and 6-disk remote CD player, I'm upgrading to a Sierra Denali console. The console I purchased came complete with the lux amp, cd changer, and full wiring harness.

My question is: is there an easier way to accomplish the necessary wiring changes if I have the lux console wiring harness? I'm wondering if it would be easier to do the wire changes at the main console plug? Or should I just remove the lux wiring harness and replace with my non-lux harness from my factory console?

Second part to this question: the CD changer has it's own harness as part of the existing lux harness. Again, like the amp wiring changes, would there be an easier change in wiring because I have this harness already?

Thanks,

John

Whew, finally finished the whole thread, I would like to join the others in thanking Jim (aka Linda), Sperry, BBSilverado and the others that have spent their valuable time helping others upgrade their trucks. I apologize for some of my earlier redundant questions, but to be honest I got lost in the threads and thought I had read them all but had not.

Anyway here is what I have, 2003 Burb LT, XM internal factory add on system on the way, AAI-GM24(to handle the audio for my aftermarket DVD player which is in the CDX slot) on the way as well. And finally, the video interface for my dvd will play on the TNR screen, is also on the way.

My burb has the rectangle amp and from listening to everyone here I want the lux upgrade. any way I am in search of a LUX amp and the TNR (LUX) and GPS antennae.

I noticed that JP Customs has the whole shooting match for around 2500 bucks, which comes with the new 4.0 DVD. This includes LUX amp, TNR, wire harness, and instructions on the amp wire changes.

Does anyone know where I might save a bit of money on my upgrade? My wife thinks I have lost my mind wanting to spend almost 3 grand to make this all happen.

I just finished the TNR upgrade to my non-lux '03 GMC Sierra. Works great!! I am now adding the 6CD changer. I have one question. What to do with the Instrument panel dimming connection on the changer pin 8. Does this coonect to the TNR connector C1 pin B4. It seems logical, but I am not sure with my non-lux amp.

Roger

I just finished the TNR upgrade to my non-lux '03 GMC Sierra.  Works great!!  I am now adding the 6CD changer.  I have one question.  What to do with the Instrument panel dimming connection on the changer pin 8.  Does this coonect to the TNR connector C1 pin B4.  It seems logical, but I am not sure with my non-lux amp.

Roger

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't need that wire, there are 3 wires in the changer harness that you don't use.

The lights and dimming is done through the databus wire.

I just finished the TNR upgrade to my non-lux '03 GMC Sierra.  Works great!!  I am now adding the 6CD changer.  I have one question.  What to do with the Instrument panel dimming connection on the changer pin 8.  Does this coonect to the TNR connector C1 pin B4.  It seems logical, but I am not sure with my non-lux amp.

Roger

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't need that wire, there are 3 wires in the changer harness that you don't use.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, understand.

I just received the GM 15312903 Harness for the changer. It fits, but the color code is different from the Changer connector drawing. Is this normal?

I removed the pins from the connector on one end of the harness and powered up the changer using pin 15 ORN for power and pin 13 BLK for ground. I left all other pins disconnected.

The changer powers up and flashes lights and appears to cycle, but will not load a CD. It appears to be hanging up and making a buzzing noise. Does the data buss need to be connected for the changer to load a disc and operate?

Thanks

Roger

Roger

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, understand.

I just received the GM 15312903 Harness for the changer. It fits, but the color code is different from the Changer connector drawing. Is this normal?

I removed the pins from the connector on one end of the harness and powered up the changer using pin 15 ORN for power and pin 13 BLK for ground. I left all other pins disconnected.

The changer powers up and flashes lights and appears to cycle, but will not load a CD. It appears to be hanging up and making a buzzing noise. Does the data buss need to be connected for the changer to load a disc and operate?

Thanks

Roger

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have the correct harness, and Yes, the colors are different because that harness is actually for the 02 and earlier cd slave units.

I'm not sure what you are calling pin 15 and 13.

The power wire goes to B1 (orange) on the headunits C1 connector (24 pin)

the ground wire goes to A12 (black w/ white)

the databus wire goes to A1 (small orange)

The data wire does need to be connected before the CDX will function properly, but I don't know if it matters for loading the Cd's

Whew, finally finished the whole thread, I would like to join the others in thanking Jim (aka Linda), Sperry, BBSilverado and the others that have spent their valuable time helping others upgrade their trucks.  I apologize for some of my earlier redundant questions, but to be honest I got lost in the threads and thought I had read them all but had not. 

Anyway here is what I have, 2003 Burb LT, XM internal factory add on system on the way, AAI-GM24(to handle the audio for my aftermarket DVD player which is in the CDX slot) on the way as well.  And finally, the video interface for my dvd will play on the TNR screen, is also on the way.

My burb has the rectangle amp and from listening to everyone here I want the lux upgrade.  any way I am in search of a LUX amp and the TNR (LUX) and GPS antennae. 

I noticed that JP Customs has the whole shooting match for around 2500 bucks, which comes with the new 4.0 DVD.  This includes LUX amp, TNR, wire harness, and instructions on the amp wire changes. 

Does anyone know where I might save a bit of money on my upgrade?  My wife thinks I have lost my mind wanting to spend almost 3 grand to make this all happen.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Here is a Bose Lux amp. It is used but it is better to get a used one so you don't have to get it programmed by the dealership.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-TRUCK-...990326826QQrdZ1

Thanks BBsilverado. I will try at win that one. Also I have run into a bit of conflicting information. I have downloaded all of Linda's wiring diagrams and am getting all the parts ready for the Lux TNR upgrade. The problem is I have found another lux amp wiring diagram from here or avalanche can't remember which site, but it has the wires going to many different places. I am now concerned as to which diagram I should follow. Lindas or this one?

CAUTION THIS MAY NOT BE AN ACCURATE WIRING DIAGRAM FOR THE UPGRADE!!!!

Here is the wires that need to be moved in the 24 pin connector to go from a non-lux amp to a lux amp.

A1 - do nothing

A2 - do nothing

A5 - move to A4 (brown wire)

A6 - move to A3 (yellow)

A7 - move to A8 (dark blue)

A8 - move to A7 (light blue)

A9 - move to A5 (tan)

A10 - move to A6 (gray)

A11 - move to A9 (light green)

A12 - move to A10 (dark green)

B1 - cap off, not used (gray/black)

B2 - cap off, not used (purple)

B3 - cap off, not used (black)

B4 - cap off, not used (dark blue)

B5 - cap off, not used (dark green/white)

B6 - cap off, not used (brown)

B7 - move to B3 (orange/black)

B8 - move to B6 (light green)

B9 - move to B4 (dark green)

B10 - move to B5 (tan)

B11 - cap off, not used (pink)

B12 - move to B7 (bare wire)

Add data bus wire from B1 (small orange wire) on the headunit 24 pin connector to B10

Add microphone wire to B1 (optional, but recommended for the sound compensated volume to work)

CAUTION THIS MAY NOT BE AN ACCURATE WIRING DIAGRAM FOR THE UPGRADE!!!!

Thanks BBsilverado.  I will try at win that one.  Also I have run into a bit of conflicting information.  I have downloaded all of Linda's wiring diagrams and am getting all the parts ready for the Lux TNR upgrade.  The problem is I have found another lux amp wiring diagram from here or avalanche can't remember which site, but it has the wires going to many different places.  I am now concerned as to which diagram I should follow.  Lindas or this one?

Here is the wires that need to be moved in the 24 pin connector to go from a non-lux amp to a lux amp.

A1 - do nothing

A2 - do nothing

A5 - move to A4 (brown wire)

A6 - move to A3 (yellow)

A7 - move to A8 (dark blue)

A8 - move to A7 (light blue)

A9 - move to A5 (tan)

A10 - move to A6 (gray)

A11 - move to A9 (light green)

A12 - move to A10 (dark green)

B1 - cap off, not used (gray/black)

B2 - cap off, not used (purple)

B3 - cap off, not used (black)

B4 - cap off, not used (dark blue)

B5 - cap off, not used (dark green/white)

B6 - cap off, not used (brown)

B7 - move to B3 (orange/black)

B8 - move to B6 (light green)

B9 - move to B4 (dark green)

B10 - move to B5 (tan)

B11 - cap off, not used (pink)

B12 - move to B7 (bare wire)

Add data bus wire from B1 (small orange wire) on the headunit 24 pin connector to B10

Add microphone wire to B1 (optional, but recommended for the sound compensated volume to work)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know this one works and I believe Linda's (Jim's) has the same results.

The changes above are only the ones for the 24 pin connector, there are more changes that need to be done on the 8 pin connector.

Here is the wiring changes for the 8 pin connector on the non-lux to lux amp swap

A ( black w/ white) do nothing

B (dark blue wire) move to E

C (dark green) move to B

D not used

E (bare wire) just remove and cap off

F (light blue w/ black) move to G

G (light green w/ black) move to D

H (orange) do nothing

connector2.gif

connector.gif

I can provide the pinout charts from the service manual If you would like to check them for yourself.

I hooked up the data buss. The TNR recognizes the CDX but the failure to load problem is still there. Appears to be an electro-mechanical problem. I plan to send it in to videoservicestop.com for an evaluation. Fixed price fix is $97. Such are the risks of e-bay. So far, no help from seller.

Roger

Hi i got a 2003 trailblazer and i just got the gm NAVIGATION system. I wanted to know if i need to get the bose amp. the system i have now doesnt have the bose system. I just wanted to see if i needed the amp and if i do how would you hook it up.

Archived