NAV and 6 disk changer in a Silverado

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taking the amp out and looking at it won't resolve anything. I was able to provide all of the part numbers because I've done that. My vehicle has been to the dealer and TSCS was contacted and wasn't of any help.

The post from 10/19 and 11/06 speak to the amps that are/were installed in '03 Envoys.

I just want to know if anyone can identify the amp by its part number. If so, tell me if its a lux or non-lux unit.

Taking the amp out and looking at it won't resolve anything.  I was able to provide all of the part numbers because I've done that.    My vehicle has been to the dealer and TSCS was contacted and wasn't of any help.

The post from 10/19 and 11/06 speak to the amps that are/were installed in '03 Envoys.   

I just want to know if anyone can identify the amp by its part number.  If so, tell me if its a lux or non-lux unit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you have the 2 or 3 connector AMP? If you have 3 connector, chances are you had auto volume & could indicate a Lux amp. The 04 Envoy's have the 2 connector crap amp. Mines now running the Lux 3 connector amp.

The amp has 3 connectors and the orignal HU didn't have "non-lux" stamped on it like some the other HUs. I'm guessing I have the Lux amp too but before I bought a lux TNR I was hoping that someone could identify the amp by the part number.

Taking the amp out and looking at it won't resolve anything.   I was able to provide all of the part numbers because I've done that.    My vehicle has been to the dealer and TSCS was contacted and wasn't of any help.

I just want to know if anyone can identify the amp by its part number.   If so, tell me if its a lux or non-lux unit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you have the 2 or 3 connector AMP? If you have 3 connector, chances are you had auto volume & could indicate a Lux amp. The 04 Envoy's have the 2 connector crap amp. Mines now running the Lux 3 connector amp.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its amazing to me that this thread has been going on for the better part of a year.  Seems that a book should be written on the subject.  I can picture a black and yellow book entitled, ".........GMC TNR and INR for Dummies"  :)

I also am struggling with getting my TNR to work in my '03 Envoy.  Any help will be appreciated. 

My vehicle came equipped with an in-dash 6 CD changer (15183817) and what I believe to be a non-lux amp (15099842) because the Y91 option is NOT listed.

I bought a non-lux TNR (15229287) and installed it but I get no sound.  The dealer is just as stumped as I.

I've read posts about programming the amp . I  don't believe  I need to do that since the amp works with the original HU.  I'm led to believe that while the Y91 option isn't listed I do in fact have lux amp since my old HU presents several sound fields. 

Any ideas or suggestions?  At this point I'd pee on a spark plug to get it working.  :driving:    :D    :P    :nopity:

That amp is listed as a classII amplifier and that means it is a lux amp.

If you can look at the large connector (C1 / 24 pin connector) on the amp, look at the wire in the B10 position if it is dark blue that is the serial databus signal (classII) and it is for sure a Lux amp. If that wire is tan it is a non-lux amp.

connector.gif

Alright all... I have been reading through here, and there is a lot to take in. I am hoping someone can chime in, and break it down for my application. I have a 03 Yukon XL with Bose. I do not think it is a lux unit. Do I just need:

The TRN (non-lux touchscreen)

Antenna

Harness

6 disk changer

I that all? am I on the right track? Is there anyway to confirm that I have a non-lux unit? I did not find y91 in the RPOs. I don't even think y91 was an option in 03's.

Help!

:confused: Finally, Boys thanks for all the awesome help. I now have a 03 Burb LT with a new Lux Amp, TNR, DVD interface (to watch movies thru the HU), XM and a back up camera. I would have never been able to complete such a project without all the helpful information I found here.

I do have a question and a comment for the last post. Question: is there not a quick way to switch the audio to back only or front only with out having to hold the balance button on the screen down until the bar moves all the way down. This seems like a step backwards from the non lux amps that have the mute options (i think this is right about the non lux amps).

Comment: I would recommend a new DVD Player for the slot instead of the 6 cd changer. I say this because the newer DVD players are din sized and they have the ability to not only play DVD's packed full of MP3's but they also now come with a tv tuner. With this option in my opinion the slot is better utilized with a DVD player than a CDX (Just my two cents).

Lastly can someone tell me how to post pics when forming a reply? I would love to show you guys the finished project.

Freewilly

Comment:  I would recommend a new DVD Player for the slot instead of the 6 cd changer.  I say this because the newer DVD players are din sized and they have the ability to not only play DVD's packed full of MP3's but they also now come with a tv tuner.  With this option in my opinion the slot is better utilized with a DVD player than a CDX (Just my two cents).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's exactly what I did--I replaced the OEM slave 6-CD changer w/ a Pioneer AVH-P6500 DVD...motorized screen, plays DVD movies and MP3 CDs, and have the audio/video also routed to a pair of Vizualogic headrest monitors (for those times where I would rather control what the rear folks are watching).

Comment:  I would recommend a new DVD Player for the slot instead of the 6 cd changer.  I say this because the newer DVD players are din sized and they have the ability to not only play DVD's packed full of MP3's but they also now come with a tv tuner.  With this option in my opinion the slot is better utilized with a DVD player than a CDX (Just my two cents).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's exactly what I did--I replaced the OEM slave 6-CD changer w/ a Pioneer AVH-P6500 DVD...motorized screen, plays DVD movies and MP3 CDs, and have the audio/video also routed to a pair of Vizualogic headrest monitors (for those times where I would rather control what the rear folks are watching).

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Just finished the first part of the install and it went perfect...Thanks to all of the info found here.

Cheers :cheers: to everyone that investigated, experimented, and got it done before me. Even the service tech (who reset the VIN) was amazed at all of the documentation I had for him. When I told him what I needed, he curled his nose till he heard I had all of the commands for him. It only took minutes and the service writer didn't charge me..so I tipped the mechanic a 10 spot.

GM parts hasn't sent me the GPS antenna yet, so I need to install that yet, but that will be piece of cake after the lux conversion.

AT first try, there was no sound. The DARK BLUE wire I tapped into at the RSA head must not have been the Class II data. I ended up running one from the HU C1 position and it worked.

Thanks to TexasZues for the lux amp!! It fired right up.

SO here are some questions:

1) There was only 1 plug at the HU. Is the 2nd (C2) just for accessories (CD PLAYER) If so, how do I hook up the VSS?

Dave

:crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Just finished the first part of the install and it went perfect...Thanks to all of the info found here.

Cheers  :cheers:  to everyone that investigated, experimented, and got it done before me. Even the service tech (who reset the VIN) was amazed at all of the documentation I had for him.  When I told him what I needed, he curled his nose till he heard I had all of the commands for him.  It only took minutes and the service writer didn't charge me..so I tipped the mechanic a 10 spot.

GM parts hasn't sent me the GPS antenna yet, so I need to install that yet, but that will be piece of cake after the lux conversion.

AT first try, there was no sound.  The DARK BLUE wire I tapped into at the RSA head must not have been the Class II data.  I ended up running one from the HU C1 position and it worked.

Thanks to TexasZues for the lux amp!! It fired right up.

SO here are some questions:

1) There was only 1 plug at the HU.  Is the 2nd (C2) just for accessories (CD PLAYER)  If so, how do I hook up the VSS?

Dave

That is right, the C2 connector/ harness would only be there if you have at least one of the following: CD changer, XM, RSE, Onstar.

You can buy a "repair connector" from GM, that includes the connector and about 12" of wire in each terminal for $35, or you can buy a blank connector from GM and a bag of the wire terminal ends for $6 and just put the one wire you need in the proper position ("E")

If you have access to a local junk yard, you could probably get them to cut one out of a wrecked GM vehicle.

Ahhh, thats what I thought. I am planning to put the soundscape adapter in there for a sirius tuner. I bet the plug comes with the adapter. Then...just for ease, I will daisy chain a kenwood cd changer to the tuner. All of this stuff is pretty cheap right now.

Thanks BB :cheers:

dave

Archived