'04 Ext. Cab Silverado Audio Upgrade

I am not an expert on car stereo's and don't feel like getting ripped off, so I was curious if I could get some advice and input from people more in the know than I.

I stopped by the local car audio place and told them what I was looking for:

"I'm not a audio fanatic and don't need to have the best, I'm just looking to have a decent sound system. My current stereo is the factory six speaker setup. I really don't want to replace the factory HU and I hate all the new aftermarket HU's, too much going on with them, I like the simple tight look the stock HU presents. The stock unit currently though just does not give enough juice when I'm on the highway for my liking. I don't need a system that you can hear three blocks away."

The guy I talked to said I would really need drop about $1500 to get a system I would be happy with, anything less and I would think it sounded good for the first couple weeks and then I would want more. He was talking about putting a turn knob in the dash to adjust the bass, custom built sub-enclosures and a good eclipse amp, yadda yadda...

I explained again that I didn't need a "KICKIN" system, just something with a little more juice, he then went on to say that I could probably get by with about $750 and the upgrade other components later.

With that, I felt maybe he was trying to oversell me. I'm 34, I've done my eardrum blasting days already, I don't have a street truck, I have a 4x4 and do a lot of back country camping (won't have the stereo blasting in the back country), I'm not trying to impress any friends. I just want a better sounding system.

What is everyone's opinion on what is the correct price range and what are the key components to look at for what I am trying to get? If it's $1500, that's cool, I can afford it, I just don't want to over spend for something that I don't really care if I have.

TIA!

You don't need $1500 of equipment to sound decent. You can get by with much less. On the pre '03 trucks, you could get by with just speakers (plus amp and subwoofer, if you want). '03 to current models have another issue. The radios also contain the modules for the door chime and other stuff that is integrated. If you replace the radio, you will have to have additional components to keep your door chimes and other information. Do you have the Bose system? If so, that just adds a bit of complexity to the upgrade. I'm sure some of the others will chime in shortly.

Just hook up an Infinity BassLink to the back speaker wires. the BassLink will fit under the extended cab seat. This will easily give you the bass and low-end you want, you get to keep your head-unit and existing speakers. And, when it is trade-in time a few years from now, it is easy to remove the Basslink in just a couple of minutes.

The BassLink also has a remote gain control which you can mount up front. Gives you control over that sound source which is pumping too much low-end.

Infinity BassLink. Prices and reviews at DealTime.

My Infinity BassLink. This picture was used earlier to demo where to mount a satellite receiver, so it is a bit off-topic and chops off the bottom part of the BassLink. But it does show that it mounts under the extended cab rear seat.

EDIT: PRICE=$198 TO $350.00

Do you have the Bose system? If so, that just adds a bit of complexity to the upgrade. I'm sure some of the others will chime in shortly.

Well at least I don't have the Bose, just the Z71 standard CD/Cassette w/6 speakers.

Any help with components would be great, also, are there work-arounds if I did replace the HU for the door chimes and stuff.

If I did replace the HU, it would probably be with an Alpine, since they now have models that will interface and control my playlists on my iPod. ;)

Thanks!

If you don't have the Bose, you can get away with just replacing the speakers in the 4 doors. 6-1/2 in front, 4x6 in the rears. You can disconnect the tweeters or leave them in if you like. Infinity or Polk Audio makes pretty decent speakers that fit. Get the plate mount 4x6 for the rear doors so they can handle more power if you intend to get an amp later.

If you plan on changing the head unit, you will have to get a couple of adapters to give you the chimes and functions back (one for chimes and other functions, the other for Onstar). Also you have to get an adapter for the steering wheel controls too (if you have them). These adapters will run you up to $200 over the cost of the new head unit.

Here is the thing about replacing just the mids and tweets, and (probably) why he's trying to sell you the full setup.

The factory speakers are designed to respond to the full range of sound.

Aftermarket speakers are designed for very specific frequency ranges. This makes those particular ranges sound much, much better, but leaves "holes" in your music.

When replace your stockers with a good set of aftermarket speakers, you are going to lose what little bass you had to start with (unless you have the factory subwoofer).

This will definately get on your nerves after a short period of time, as your music will start to sound tinny from lack of bass.

It sounds to me like you are a perfect candidate for a powered subwoofer, and a new set of mids and tweets.

Bazooka is the most popular brand of those, and you can drop one in very easily. JBL, Kenwood, and Infinity all make powered subs as well. (A powered sub is just an all in one enclosure that usually includes both the sub and the amp, all in one easy to manage package.)

Powered subs range in price from $150 all the way to.....well....You've shopped around....Sky is the limit on stereo prices...$500 and more. They also aren't known to be "boomy", and I've heard a few that are just perfect for someone wanting a little more ooomph to their system. I even talked my dad into one a few years back, and he wanted to beat me for not making him buy one sooner.

A good set of components will cost at least $200, anything more, and you will be getting diminishing returns on your investment. They will all sound better than the stock stuff. Spending $1000 on a set of high-end MB Quarts would be a waste on your wallet, and your ears wouldn't know the difference.

Keep in mind that the stock head unit will also really not be enough to drive your components to their potential. They really should have an amp on them. But they will work fine without.

Another idea....My neighbor put in a 5 channel amp to power the stock speakers, and one 10" woofer in his ex cab. It sounds great (not as good as mine, of course :bs: ) and his total investment was under $700. It could be done for a little less.

^^All of that, is only my opinion....And others will have their own. The only important one -of course- is your own.

Keep up with the questions, it's the best way to form your ideas on what to shoot for. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Just upgrade the speakers, I did this in my 2004 SLE Extended Cab.

I used Pioneer TS-A1767 6 3/4" for the front TS-A4670R 4x6's for the rears. I got these from eBay for less than $35.00 for both sets.

The lead adapters you can get from Crutchfields, part #12071014. They are $9.99 a pair. Use these if you do not want to cut the original connector off and solder the wires directly to the speaker terminals.

The Pioneer speakers come with a plastic adapter ring to space the speakers out slightly so you speakers don't foul the windows when they open.

These speakers actually improve the listening significantly over the stock units, even the bass levels (Wingnut, sorry to contradict your advice. Normally I would agree). Check out the actual specs. at Pioneer USA

TS-A1767

TS-A4670R

You should be able to do this for under $100 !!

The stock headunit is actually a pressty good unit. I did not want to go to the trouble of upgrading it. I also added a Kenwood Sirius receiver via a SoundGate adapter for $150.00 inc. the antenna.

PS: Consider soundproofing the skin of your doors while you have the panels off. I used Peel'n'Seel (you can get it from Lowe's for $12 a roll). It's a lot cheaper than DynaMat and similar products and does an excellent job, and with no smells like you get with some products. You will need 2 rolls for the 4 doors.

This will then give you the sound you are looking for. The overall effect is enhanced greatly over the stock set-up, the bass will not be punchy and tight as it would be with an aftermarket amp and subwoofer, but it will be there.

Robert

I completely agree with just adding an infinity basslink sub to the existing system. I added mine by myself in about 1 hour and it fits right under the back seat. I also replaced the front speakers with cheap pioneer speakers (40 bucks per pair at best buy) since one of the original ones was starting to go bad.

Man what a difference!!! My system sounds every bit as good as somebody elses aftermarket system. The reason is you can turn the bass down on your stock head unit to prevent overdriving the speakers and using the powered sub to suplement the bass.

I got my basslink off of ebay for only $179 however it didnt come with a warranty but for 1/2 price I dont need one.

Good luck.

Archived