Is the AC on when recirc on?

My 2001 Tahoe is equiped with climate control.  I was wondering if the AC kicks on when I have recirculation on and the temp at the coldest setting.  The AC light isn't activated.  The mentioned condition seems cold enough to be AC, but I think it gets colder when I turn the AC on  (perhaps its just mental).

After I've been driving a while I look at the AC unit and it is covered with condensation.  Granted the humidity is quite high in Illinois now.  But, I don't think my AC is turning on, or at least not on full.

Do the trucks without the climate control have the same thing happen?

Thanks in advance for your replys.

Are you referring to the "automatic climate control"?  If you have that system, then yes the AC is on as long as you have it set in the "auto" setting.  The system runs air/vent/heat to accomodate whatever temp you have the dial set at...  it also controls the fan speed.

The recirculate button does only that as far as I know.  It reduces the amt of fresh air allowed into the truck and recurculates what's in there.  This allows for quicker cooling on the really hot days...

Yes, I do mean the automatic climate control.  I played with the fan last night.  Recirc with fan on high and temp cold feels great, and no wind drag from an open window.  Now I forsee DRASTIC fuel economy increases with my recently found "vent" setting!!!  :) Well probably not.  I'm trying to keep the horsepower and "spunk" of the 5.3L but increase its fuel economy.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

The automatic climate control is a great feature.  Only two features I would change with it though.  I would put indicator lights on which settings are "automatically" on (AC!!!!, and which blower/heater setting, etc).  The second one is install an internal cabin temperature gauge someplace.  Perhaps put a toggle switch on the rear view mirror for interior/exterior temperature.  :)

Your suggestions are very good. The only way to control is to turn your desired temperature up a bit. If I'm not mistaken, your system tries to get to 66 degrees any way it can when you have it cranked all the way counterclockwise.

On my YXL, when I have it set on Auto, they A/C light comes on with either Recirc or Outside air selected.

I like the idea of an inside temp guage, they could hook it up to the mirror readout and have a switch between outside and inside.  Probably never see that in my lifetime!

I have a '01 Silverado without auto climate control and the AC DOES come on with just the Recirc pressed.  The AC light does not light, but I am certain that it is "chilled" air that is comming out of the vent, not 100+ high humidity non-chilled air.

Joe

If you can't hear(or see) the ac compressor making it's cycles, then no, during recirculation only, the ac compressor shouldn't come on.  It does however come on when the defroster comes on.  I'm not sure if our 01 Silverado's comes on.  You can hear the ac compressor cycle when it's supposed to be on.  Another thing people often forget is that when the ac is on and recirc is used, it means the damper door is closed, and the air is be recirculated and the ac is not working as hard, which equals better power and more mileage.  

Vent is nice, but it brings in hot air from the outside, usually in the vents next to the windshield wipers.  

Archived