Peeling Paint

Hmm....my 94' (black) looks great still. There are scratches here and there but no pealing. Fresh wax once a month might have something to do with that though. The truck has lived its entire life in the sun, so it gets pampered. Might have something to do with the white.

My pop used to have a 1990 Taurus SHO, and they maroon paint would peel. Come to find out that was a typical problem with the Maroon paint mix in 1990 on these cars. Maybe similar situaion. I'd contact a paint shop and see if its a common issue.

If your considering having it repainted look to spend about $3500, and thats without paint inside the bed. :seeya:

I used to work in a paint shop after college. There have been a few cycles or windows of GM bad paint. The first was mid 80's with all of the metallics cracking (called crow's feet). The next round was mid 90's with a problem of the sealer/primer and the paint not sticking to it.

What you described is the result. Not overly common, but consistant of the symptoms. I believe GM did not warranty it, you may ask. A quality repaint that strips the primer and starts over would be the solution.

Same thing is starting to happen on my '92. It is white as well and it appears to be a primer/paint adheasion issue. For me, just the driver door leading edge pillar. I figure they won't do anything free afer 12 years, do I cope and plot my plan of correction.

--Mike

I had an '89 G conversion van (white) and my buddy had an 88-90 K1500 (light blue/silver). Both vehicles started to peel.

I checked into it, and GM would repair them if they had less than 100K miles on them.

I'd check with the body shop manager at your local dealer and see if GM has a TSB for the mid 90's trucks too...

Archived