Snowplow and Overheating

jterb69

Wondered if anyone is having the same problem I have been experiencing when driving with a snowplow attached. I have a '03 2500HD and a 7.5" Curtis Snowplow, both purchased last year (separately). The truck tends to overheat when driving with the plow attached. I have to drive with the plow in the straight position and lower it to a point where it hits the ground over bumps in the road. When I bought the truck from the dealer, it was listed with the snowplow package (not sure if that include a higher temp thermostat or not).

If anyone has experienced a similar situation and has overcome it, I would love to hear how you did it. Thanks

I have an 8ft. Sno-Way that's pretty big. I have had no issues what-so-ever with over heating or even unusual high temps. And I had to drive it a couple of times when it was warm outside.

I would get it checked out. Sounds like there is a problem.

Which engine do you have?

Every Plow truck I've had, including my current 1990 3500 454 with a 9" Fisher has run hot when cruising with the blade up. The faster you go the hotter it gets. Common and normal, the plow blocks the airflow into the radiator and directs the air up and over, actually causing a low pressure area behind the plow. I know a guy that made a scoop to mount on top of his blade directing the air into his radiator, he said it helped quite a bit for the 30 mile ride on the highway to plow his mothers house. Before he made that he had to stop every 10 miles or so to let it cool down.

I know this doesn't have much to do with this topic, but could you post pics of your plow trucks. I am looking at getting one for my 01 HD and wanted to see what the plows looked like on the trucks. Thanks

I have an 8ft. Sno-Way that's pretty big.  I have had no issues what-so-ever with over heating or even unusual high temps.  And I had to drive it a couple of times when it was warm outside.

I would get it checked out.  Sounds like there is a problem.

Which engine do you have?

My truck has the 6.0 liter motor. Taking the truck to the Chevy dealer this week and will ask them about it. I know the blade is blocking the radiator, which is why I have to drive with the blade pretty low (less than 6 inches from the ground). When I asked the plow dealer about it, all they responded was "it's a Chevy" and indicated they have heard about the issue, but only with Chevy trucks. They also said the new Chevy models supposedly do not have the problem. If the Chevy dealer has any interesting thoughts, I will let you know.

Here is the deal with your overheating. Your fan clutch is not engaging early enough. The clutches on chevys don't engage till 220 degrees =/-. by then it is too late to cool off the engine. I have had the same problem for years. Ford and Dodge also had this problem but the have fixed it. I installed a clutch that engages at 190 degrees and also put on a aftermarket high cfm fan. I can now do 60 mph with the plow full up and not overheat. DO NOT put on a flex fan. they give you great cfm's at low rpm but loose their efficency the higher RPM's you go. i would also change your thermostat to 175 if you have a higher one. hope this helps.

Every plow truck I have had runs hotter with the blade on. Fan clutch kicks in and it cools down. You just need to experiment with the blade position and find the best position for cooling. I found if it is angled all the way was best. This also makes the whole set up narrower for those close city streets.

I've got an 02 HD with an 8' Boss Plow, haven't had any temp issues, I checked the guages while I was heading down the highway, no problems, not high at all. My buddy has overheating/temp problems on his 03 HD, but his dad's truck is an 02 HD, and has no problems, both trucks have Blizzard 810's on them. I think he said they make a air scoop that can mount on top of the blade to direct air into the grill. Must be the shape of the hood or grill...

Wondered if anyone is having the same problem I have been experiencing when driving with a snowplow attached.  I have a '03 2500HD and a 7.5" Curtis Snowplow, both purchased last year (separately).  The truck tends to overheat when driving with the plow attached.  I have to drive with the plow in the straight position and lower it to a point where it hits the ground over bumps in the road.  When I bought the truck from the dealer, it was listed with the snowplow package (not sure if that include a higher temp thermostat or not).

If anyone has experienced a similar situation and has overcome it, I would love to hear how you did it.  Thanks

There is a TSB on this issue as well as a revised fan clutch which many people have reported fixed the problem on the 2500HD's. Visit www.alldata.com for the TSB and call your chevy dealer.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same problem with my 05. Carrying the plow is not an issue, but sometimes plowing warms it up. I also tow my aluminum snowmobile trailer with one sled on it, with the plow and it overheats, BIGTIME. Now I did this same thing with my 00' 2500 with NO ISSUES. I also did it with my 98 1/2 ton with NO ISSUES.

I went to the dealer today and they ordered the fan clutch per the bulletin. Hope it fixes it. They have changed something in the last few years, probably trying to cheapin it up. Hope the new clutch doesnt affect the mileage, its bad enough already. About 2 miles a gallon less than my 00', with the same 6.0 engine.

Overall, I'm NOT IMPRESSED.

Relax Guys...As said before there is a TSB out for this problem. I have a 2004 HD w/ 6.0 and a 7.5 Fisher. Overheated all the time. Had the dealer do this TSB and replaced the fan clutch. I plowed today and no problems whatsoever. Plow up any angle or any height. It seems that some of the Snow plow prep equipped trucks were getting the wrong fan clutch installed at the factory. :withstupid:

I have an 01 HD 6.0 and 02 6.0 HD both with Boss 8'2 V Blades

The 02 over heated all the time untill the update was done. New clutch fan it cost about $250. All because of a spring that could not be replaced on the inside of the clutch fan.

Relax Guys...As said before there is a TSB out for this problem. I have a 2004 HD w/ 6.0 and a 7.5 Fisher. Overheated all the time. Had the dealer do this TSB and replaced the fan clutch. I plowed today and no problems whatsoever. Plow up any angle or any height. It seems that some of the Snow plow prep equipped trucks were getting the wrong fan clutch installed at the factory. :(

Thanks for the glimmer of hope! Did the new clutch decrease the fuel mileage any?

Relax Guys...As said before there is a TSB out for this problem. I have a 2004 HD w/ 6.0 and a 7.5 Fisher. Overheated all the time. Had the dealer do this TSB and replaced the fan clutch. I plowed today and no problems whatsoever. Plow up any angle or any height. It seems that some of the Snow plow prep equipped trucks were getting the wrong fan clutch installed at the factory. :(

Thanks for the glimmer of hope! Did the new clutch decrease the fuel mileage any?

I really have not checked, but from what I can tell, It made no difference in the fuel economy.

Archived