Help me find an email program...

MrQuadrasteer

There are many. Yahoo. MSN everybody will give you a free email address. Your internet provider provides you one also(or several). Who ya signed up with? Heck where do ya work they may offer one also. You can have as many email addresses as you want. They all have address books and calenders and the like. i personally use yahoo just because it's there and no other real reason. I have never had a problem.

Here's the deal. Outlook just interfaces with your e-mail server. Right now, you may be able to do just what you want. Put in your mail server name and account info on my computer, for instance, and you theoretically can read your mail. Here's the problem, some providers will only allow you to use that method from within their network. So, if you were to do this procedure on your work computer, to use Outlook to check your RR mail, it may not work because your work computer does not connect to RR's network directly (I'm assuming this is the case).

I use Mozilla Thunderbird, I download all my mail to my HD when I'm home. When I'm not, I can use a web page interface to read the mail I have on the server. My family has bought rights to a domain name, for e-mail purposes for now, our mail is hosted through www.twistedbits.net We have POP access and webmail access, but I could also use an e-mail program on any computer to allow POP access to it from anyplace, to make it act just like at home. I don't have the network restrictions like ISP-based mail accounts have.

I hope that wasn't too confusing. I work in IT, stupid questions don't bug me, so if you have any about this post, feel free to post them.

Since you are using a pop email account the only way to do it with out losing it would be if your email host has a webmail service. The way pop accounts work is that it takes your email (it "pops" it) off of the email server. It is then on that local machine. So if you use outlook at home using a pop server you can not go to another computer and search through your old emails. You will however be able to pop off your new emails but then they would not be availible for any other computers.

It would be a completely different story if you were using something like a Microsoft exchange server.

I haven't used mail2web in over 2 years only because I no longer travel for work. I used it to access my ISP email account with no problems. Their website states the service does not download or delete your messages. You can read, reply, or forward new messages. Hope this helps.

http://www.mail2web.com/

I use either of the following:

www.mail2web.com

www.myemail.com

There are several others out there as well but those are just two. I like myemail.com better than mail2web.com but it is all a personal preference thing.

B.J.

Thanks for all the help, gang.

The two links above work for my @ev1.net addies, but not this one. Since it's an Infopop addy, think they restrict that sort of thing ?? It always gives m an error when trying.

To be clear, this is my mrquadrasteer email in my sig. I'm not needing a new addy, I already have unlimited ones thru ev1.net. I just can't check mrquad's email until I get home and it bugs me !!!

I'm gonna contact the infopop support folks.

Thanks again.

Outlook can check mail on any server that has a POP3 mail server. All you need to do is supply the server names and account info. Sending mail is another story and most mail servers (SMTP) restrict it to what is actually "connected" to it (dialed in or through a LAN) to prevent spammers and other abusers.

Quite a few also have WWW based access to your mail as well in case you don't have access to a real mail program.

Yes Outlook can, but unless you archive the mail into an Outlook .pst file that mail will not be on the mail server anymore and not be availible to other computer. It is best to not pop mail off the server unless you are on your main computer.

Yes Outlook can, but unless you archive the mail into an Outlook .pst file that mail will not be on the mail server anymore and not be availible to other computer. It is best to not pop mail off the server unless you are on your main computer.

You can tell Outlook to leave a copy of the message on the server instead of deleting it after downloading it.

Archived