Dyno Day

Finally got to strap it to the dyno....stock 5.3...220rwhp at 4800..255.9 ft/lbs at 4100....all done on a SuperFlow Dyno...an 04 Hemi put down 202rwhp and an 04 Ford 5.4 put down 192rwhp.... :D

Finally got to strap it to the dyno....stock 5.3...220rwhp at 4800..255.9 ft/lbs at 4100....all done on a SuperFlow Dyno...an 04 Hemi put down 202rwhp and an 04 Ford 5.4 put down 192rwhp.... :fume:

WOW :D Thats pathetic...Dodge can't even beat a stock Chevy with a Hemi. That was one of the big factors I looked at when I bought my truck...the Ram's have terrible engines. As for F#$D...well :D

Finally got to strap it to the dyno....stock 5.3...220rwhp at 4800..255.9 ft/lbs at 4100....all done on a SuperFlow Dyno...an 04 Hemi put down 202rwhp and an 04 Ford 5.4 put down 192rwhp.... :fume:

I only got 210HP and 237 lbs/ft @ 4000rpm on my '99 5.3L 4x4 with a K&N FIPK, Gibson headers, Flowmaster exhaust and Hypertech programmer on a Mustang dyno. Mind you a '99 only has 270HP stock and the 4x4 driveline has about 30% losses. That only gives me about 300HP at the flywheel. :D:D

Finally got to strap it to the dyno....stock 5.3...220rwhp at 4800..255.9 ft/lbs at 4100....all done on a SuperFlow Dyno...an 04 Hemi put down 202rwhp and an 04 Ford 5.4 put down 192rwhp.... :chevy:

WOW :cry: Thats pathetic...Dodge can't even beat a stock Chevy with a Hemi. That was one of the big factors I looked at when I bought my truck...the Ram's have terrible engines. As for F#$D...well :chevy:

Well I don't know whats wrong with that dyno, because there is no way that the hemi lost out 58% of its power threw the drivetrain.

Most of the Hemi guys on a non tuned truck top out at 270ish HP, because the hemi's reach 4400rpm in 3rd gear before the speed limiter kicks in :banghead: , Remember Hemi's make max HP at 5600RPM according to DC. And I forget what the peak TQ is, but I know its higher, and comes in a lower RPM than my 5.3.

Big loss sure, but more than half? All us dodge haters would love to believe it but its kinda hard to swallow.

The new Dodge Hemi is greatly overrated. It makes its numbers by making engine peak out at higher RPM's in theory but when you put it in a heavy truck and hook everything up it does not pan out as planned. Even dodge knows there is a problem and is increasing the displacement of it. THey should have never shelved the V10 for trucks which I heard rumor they are going to bring back.

Big loss sure, but more than half? All us dodge haters would love to believe it but its kinda hard to swallow.

The new Dodge Hemi is greatly overrated. It makes its numbers by making engine peak out at higher RPM's in theory but when you put it in a heavy truck and hook everything up it does not pan out as planned. Even dodge knows there is a problem and is increasing the displacement of it. THey should have never shelved the V10 for trucks which I heard rumor they are going to bring back.

They arn't increasing the displacment??? Where did you hear that?

They are comeing out with a 6.1 hemi, to compete with the 8.1 and 6.0. But its not replaceing the 5.7 hemi.

And yes the Hemi makes its Peak HP at a higher RPM, than my 5.3, But last I checked thats kinda what you want if your raceing.

But I do know that the Hemi makes more HP, and TQ across the board than my 5.3.

Thats why my wife smokes me in her 4x4 Hemi Ram. And she has 20's

I call it her Homo Ram.... Its ticks her off. :banghead:

If the Hemi head is so great... Why does it need 2 plugs per cylinder?? Extremely hyped and way over rated. Yeah, slap a Hemi badge on every car DC makes. Everybody will buy one. And they are. Last time I had my truck on the rollers before the cam, there was a single cab Ram with a "special" engine present also. That truck didnt put down any more than my truck did. Drivetrain loss??? Yes sir. But that Dodge was making a bit more than 202HP to the wheels.

If the Hemi head is so great...  Why does it need 2 plugs per cylinder??  Extremely hyped and way over rated.  Yeah, slap a Hemi badge on every car DC makes.  Everybody will buy one.  And they are.  Last time I had my truck on the rollers before the cam, there was a single cab Ram with a "special" engine present also.  That truck didnt put down any more than my truck did.  Drivetrain loss???  Yes sir.  But that Dodge was making a bit more than 202HP to the wheels.

I don't know if you were jokeing or not, but here is what I found.

Copy and Paste.

"Dual spark plugs per cylinder ensure consistent, complete and rapid combustion, without knock, that increases peak power and torque, reduces exhaust emissions and increases fuel efficiency. It even smoothes the engine's idle."

But other than that it just give me more of a headache when I have to change them.

And I don't know about over hyped. I mean watch a Chevy commercial and watch them brag about their Vortech line of motors. Or the Ford Triton line of motors.

I just think they have put to much focus on the Hemi Motor its self and not anything else.

Finally got to strap it to the dyno....stock 5.3...220rwhp at 4800..255.9 ft/lbs at 4100....all done on a SuperFlow Dyno...an 04 Hemi put down 202rwhp and an 04 Ford 5.4 put down 192rwhp.... :chevy:

WOW :cry: Thats pathetic...Dodge can't even beat a stock Chevy with a Hemi. That was one of the big factors I looked at when I bought my truck...the Ram's have terrible engines. As for F#$D...well :chevy:

Well I don't know whats wrong with that dyno, because there is no way that the hemi lost out 58% of its power threw the drivetrain.

Most of the Hemi guys on a non tuned truck top out at 270ish HP, because the hemi's reach 4400rpm in 3rd gear before the speed limiter kicks in :banghead: , Remember Hemi's make max HP at 5600RPM according to DC. And I forget what the peak TQ is, but I know its higher, and comes in a lower RPM than my 5.3.

I was on all the dodge boards when I had my Hemi and I saw Dynos from240 to high 270s,most in the high 250s and low 260s.The do have hugh drive train losses especially in the 4x4s.My Ram with Superchips had more HP towing in OD than my 5.3 with Hypertech but when you get in the switchbacks towing down in 2nd gear the 5.3 actually pulls better.The Hemi is a gas hog with good HP #s and the tranny is pathetically programed and geared to gain some mpg back.....not a good combo!

I was on all the dodge boards when I had my Hemi and I saw Dynos from240 to high 270s,most in the high 250s and low 260s.The do have hugh drive train losses especially in the 4x4s.My Ram with Superchips had more HP towing in OD than my 5.3 with Hypertech but when you get in the switchbacks towing down in 2nd gear the 5.3 actually pulls better.The Hemi is a gas hog with good HP #s and the tranny is pathetically programed and geared to gain some mpg back.....not a good combo!

Did you get the Superchips with the speed limiter off? And did you dyno with it.

The reason I ask, is because you cant get a full dyno on the Hemi because it hits the speed limiter in 3rd before you hit peak TQ.

And please don't bash me because I have a Hemi.

I do love my Z71, if I didn't I wouldn't be here.

OH and I do agree with you on the huge drivetrain loss, but some of the guys have got around that with a new TQ converter. I guess the original one is slippery?

Did you get the Superchips with the speed limiter off? And did you dyno with it.

The reason I ask, is because you cant get a full dyno on the Hemi because it hits the speed limiter in 3rd before you hit peak TQ.

And please don't bash me because I have a Hemi.

I do love my Z71, if I didn't I wouldn't be here.

OH and I do agree with you on the huge drivetrain loss, but some of the guys have got around that with a new TQ converter. I guess the original one is slippery?

Um I don't know why it did that^^^

No,I still haven't seen a Hemi Dyno that pulls all the way through.No bashing here,after owning both and running a Independent Auto Repair Shop I'd say the drivetrain makes the Hemi an underacheiver and the 5.3 seems to be a overacheiver.I am very surprised how my 5.3 pulls 4500lbs in the mountains and does it at 2.5mpg better than my Ram with the same load.

Archived