ATV for work and play

rascal

which is better?  

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm thinking of getting a new atv, somewheres around 500, 4x4, and manual shift. I need something to pull trailors and snake some poles and fence post. I'll be doing some feed plots. I'll probably pull a 4 foot horse plow and a turning plow. I'm not worried about going real, real fast, but I do ride for fun alot so it needs move close to a honda recon.

I'm thinking either a Honda Foreman 4x4 or a Suzuki Vinson 4x4. Just can't make up my mind. suzuki has lower gears, but Honda seems to be more durable. anyone know any thing?

Although you can get a bad anything. Honda has fantastic reliability. Price and dealer support should be a consideration. Are Honda or Susuki parts eaisier for you to get? Same dealer. Price? Both are good machines for what you want.

I've got a Suzuki ATV, and I'd still go with the Honda.

Nothing to do with reliability (mines pretty bulletproof), it's the details. Out of all the folks I ride with, every single one of us with a Suzuki has problems with the plastic within 6 months of brand new.

Not lining up, cracked plastic, broken mounts, you name it. Nothing to do with abuse, just shoddy engineering. It doesn't have an effect on performance, but it's annoying as a hangnail.

I have a Honda Rancher ES 2WD that is 5 years old, it has pulled tons of fence, a 16ft trailer (not recommended but it will do it) , and other assorted stuff around my place with absolutely no problems with the machine for years. It has also been dunked completely underwater (fishing trip down a very low river during a drought, some of the holes were deeper than we thought) several times and it still runs like a top. The Honda machines are just well built and reliable. It has over 4000 miles on it too. Still hauls butt as well....All I have ever done is change the oil 2x a year (Winter/Summer) and the rear end grease 2X and clean the air filter- It is hard to beat a Honda 4-Wheeler. You can thrash them and they still ask for more. :banghead:

Yeah what ness5575 was thinking. I have both, a 2004 polaris 500 explorer automatic that has been through the ringer and i have maybe had it for 1 year. I also, have a Honda type II 200, probably a 1992 and we have beaten that thing terribly, and till comes back for more. Its two wheel drive and does a really good job of keeping up with the 500, which has the ability to be AWD in forward and reverse which makes a huge difference for towing stumps and hauling yard materials around. Oh and the polaris does 60 too which is speedy enough for me on such a large machine.

Just me 2 cents.

Chris

I agree you can't beat Honda for reliability, but I wouldn't own one unless it was a 650. Auto tranny is by far the best. The Vinson is a great machine. It probably has the best front suspension of the 4x4 atvs. I would go for the Vinson or try out a Sportsman.

Its been a few years since I have ridden a lot on an ATV with other folks (wife/job/house to pay for), but don't the Polaris machines have a lot of issues with the belt drive? I remember a few years back they would not handle any kind of water or load..... The Polarises have always been a hoot to cut up on, a buddy of mine had a 2 stroke w/selectable four wheel drive back in the day. A lot of fun on dirt, but it stopped in the swampy stuff due to the belt spinning.... Great on the open road, it would make mine look like it was backing up. I would think the shaft drive would be far superior for towing applications on a farm, Has Polaris gotten over the belt issues?

Its been a few years since I have ridden a lot on an ATV with other folks (wife/job/house to pay for), but don't the Polaris machines have a lot of issues with the belt drive? I remember a few years back they would not handle any kind of water or load..... The Polarises have always been a hoot to cut up on, a buddy of mine had a 2 stroke w/selectable four wheel drive back in the day. A lot of fun on dirt, but it stopped in the swampy stuff due to the belt spinning.... Great on the open road, it would make mine look like it was backing up. I would think the shaft drive would be far superior for towing applications on a farm, Has Polaris gotten over the belt issues?

I have a 2003 Sportsman 700 and have had 0 problems with the belt. I've driven in water up to the seat and no slipping. If by chance it does get wet you can pul the plug and drain it. Try doing that on a Honda...

Archived