Aux Lights botton

I acquired a new to me 2000 Sierra 2500. It did not come with an owners manual. There is a botton on the dash that is labeled "Aux Lights" next to the Passenger Air Bag switch. What is it supposed to do? I have tried turning it on and off and can't observe anything happening. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Ryan

Might be a silly question, but when you turned it on, did you get out of the truck and walk around it to see if there were any lights on other than the obvious, such as the cargo light for the bed, or up front like the fog lights?

Might be a silly question, but when you turned it on, did you get out of the truck and walk around it to see if there were any lights on other than the obvious, such as the cargo light for the bed, or up front like the fog lights?

I did walk around the truck, I should have mentioned that. The cargo light is controlled by a button by the headlight switch. I did check to see if this button turned it on that was my first thought.

Ryan

I did walk around the truck, I should have mentioned that. The cargo light is controlled by a button by the headlight switch. I did check to see if this button turned it on that was my first thought.

Ryan

This truck has the snow plow prep package and the switch you are talking about is for the rotating beacon / strobe that is normally mounted on the roof of trucks plowing snow. In your truck there is a brown and blue wire above the headliner that dead-end's above the driver's head. On plowing trucks, those 2 wires are hooked up to the strobe.

Those 2 wires are energized with +12v when you turn on that switch.

Ryan

This truck has the snow plow prep package and the switch you are talking about is for the rotating beacon / strobe that is normally mounted on the roof of trucks plowing snow. In your truck there is a brown and blue wire above the headliner that dead-end's above the driver's head. On plowing trucks, those 2 wires are hooked up to the strobe.

Those 2 wires are energized with +12v when you turn on that switch.

Bingo.

Cool! I am a light adding nut, I 'm sure I can come up with a use for that switch.

What other fearures come with the snow plow package. I have been away from GM trucks awhile and am not up on all of the packages? Is there some place I can go, besides a dealer, to get am equipment breakdown on the truck?

Thanks

Ryan

:seeya: I had been away at Ford for a long time and I had the same questions when I got my 2002 more or less base 1500 with the same button you have. So, here's what I did.

First there is a PDF file with ALL the GM RPO codes on it that you can reference. If you look on the left side of this forum, there is a link to RPO codes, pick your year and keep clicking. This list is pretty complete. I didn't look for the PDF file, but if you don't find it, I can send it to you. Don't remember where I got it. Again, the list on the site is pretty darn good.

What I did is take my digital camera, open up the glove box, take a picture of the sticker with all the codes and then came in the house and matched them all up with the picture. By now, someone else may have the reference for the PDF file with the few other codes you may need.

It worked for me

Thanks

Mike

Cool!  I am a light adding nut, I 'm sure I can come up with a use for that switch.

What other fearures come with the snow plow package.  I have been away from GM trucks awhile and am not up on all of the packages?  Is there some place I can go, besides a dealer, to get am equipment breakdown on the truck?

Thanks

Ryan

GUYS.....The wires that are deadheaded in the headliner are

brown+ and black-. You also have to make sure that there

is a maxifuse in stud #2 to power the wires up. (sometimes

GM forgot it). The wires run from the dash down the floor

and up the left rear B pillar and there is a relay near the

seat belt anchor.

Full VYU plow prep. info. at:

http://www.gmupfitter.com Go to publications #27

A few years ago I added the Aux Lights switch to my 2000 1500 for some strobe lights. I didn't have the snow prep package, so I had to add all of the wiring/switch/relay myself. There was a diagram floating around somewhere for the switch itself.

Archived