Any cool MacGyver stories out there?

Quite a few years ago, when I was in college, me and 3 friends set out on a mission to retrieve a huge Jacobsville Sandstone specimen from a remote beach in Michigan's upper peninsula. It was about a 100 mile round trip, and we took two trucks, mine and a friends, because we knew we'd have to hoist the boulder up a cliff and we were planning on using a long tow strap, and my K20 4wd Chevy to do the pulling, and my friend's truck to haul the rock home.

With the other truck in the lead, we headed out. About 1/2 way to our destination, my truck started to die. In the course of about 2 or 3 minutes, it went from driving normally to choking out. I could tell it was running too rich. Eventually it quit running completely. But what was wrong? With the lead truck now speeding out of sight, me and my copilot needed to get my truck going again quick or risk ruining the mission.

I unscrewed the air cleaner and immediately saw that the choke was closed. I had rebuilt the carb once before so I knew that one possible way it could be closed is if the electric choke heater element had failed. I examined the linkages and decided that must be it. So I grabbed a tree branch, and broke it down to something about the right size, and carefully wedged it into the choke linkage to force it to stay open. Screwed the air cleaner back in place and started the truck back up. Ran great. Fixed it fast enough that we caught back up to the other truck just before we got to the beach and cliff. We ended up with retrieving an 800-lb Jacobsville sandstone, a real beauty with red and white layers all the way along it's 4-ft length.

A few days later I bought a new choke heater at the dealer and put it on and the problem was permanently fixed.

I know this story isn't earth shattering, but it's all I have. I'm hoping maybe some of you other guys in the forum have some better stories to share about how you got into a bind with your truck or trailer and how you got out of the bind. Maybe you got stuck, or busted an axle and fixed it with a come-along...

Back when i was in college the thermostat stuck open in my old geo metro in the winter time, so in order to have heat a stuck a piece of cardboard in front of the rad with a hole in the middle to get the coolant temp up.

^wow that was a long sentence :seeya:

I love MacGyver. I have seasons 1-4 on DVD, waiting for season 5 to come out. I ALWAYS carry paperclips, Duct Tape, and a little bit of string in my truck tool box. Repaired a split radiator hose with duct tape once...

Not truck related, but back when I was in high school a buddy and I were at the school on a weekend early evening preparing uniforms and gear for the next day's game, as we were trainers at the time. He somehow dropped the keys we had in the crack between the floor of the elevator car and the edge of the shaft. Thankfully this was only a 3 story shaft. I believe we were able to somehow hold the doors open while it was on the bottom floor and we used a coat hanger, athletic tape, and some trusty spray adhesive that we used when taping ankles to make a nice tape ball on a stick, which allowed us to retrieve the keys after an initial period of frustration.

Back in '76 driving my '72 Vega GT (cool car then) on NY Thruway with my brother heading for Albany, a guy pulls along side screaming that my car is on fire. I had recently installed a oil pressure gauge with a plastic line. These cars were notorious for oil consumption, so I figured this was a good thing to have. We pull off on the breakdown lane and when I pop the hood, the flames that were only visible to other drivers coming from under the car, now were engulfing the engine. We had a six pack of beer in the back seat so we grab it and we are popping the cans and pouring it on the engine. Fire goes out and we see that the radiator hose had a leak, making the engine overheat, causing the plastic oil preesure line to melt, pumping hot oil all over the exhaust manifold. Some duct tape and a screw to plug the oil line got us off the thruway to a parts store where we patched her up and replaced the beer, I mean fire extinguisher.

Back in '76 driving my '72 Vega GT (cool car then) on NY Thruway with my brother heading for Albany, a guy pulls along side screaming that my car is on fire. I had recently installed a oil pressure gauge with a plastic line. These cars were notorious for oil consumption, so I figured this was a good thing to have. We pull off on the breakdown lane and when I pop the hood, the flames that were only visible to other drivers coming from under the car, now were engulfing the engine. We had a six pack of beer in the back seat so we grab it and we are popping the cans and pouring it on the engine. Fire goes out and we see that the radiator hose had a leak, making the engine overheat, causing the plastic oil preesure line to melt, pumping hot oil all over the exhaust manifold. Some duct tape and a screw to plug the oil line got us off the thruway to a parts store where we patched her up and replaced the beer, I mean fire extinguisher.

Gentlemen,

Had a Ford way into the woods and the thing quit. 50 miles from nowhere. I diagnosed a failed fuel pump and contemplated a 500.00 tow bill.

Had friends pick me up and bought a new fuel pump and 20 feet of hose. I wired and hooked the hose to the pump and placed it in a 5 gallon gerry can in truck bed. I cut the fuel line and spliced my hose into the line right before the filter. Hooked the wiring up to the cigar lighter.

I turned the key, started right up and drove home. great fun huh?

Ken

I have 2 different stories to tell the first was when I had a tail pipe hanger break on my 67 Chevelle, it allowed the tail pipe hit on the gas tank and it then wore a hole in my gas tank. It would just drip out anytime I had more than about 1/4 tank so if I was making a trip I would take a bar of soap from under the seat and rub it on the hole in the tank and it would seal it up for a day or two before it would start to leak again.

The other case involved a buddys 58 or 59 Henry J he had installed a 392 (please don't get mad at me it was not mine) Hemi in it. We were both just high school age kids and did not have much money, so when it spun a rod bearing we had to come up with something. He took off his belt, and we pulled the oil pan off and put a small piece of his belt around the crankshaft and then put the oil pan back on and added some oil and started it back up and drove off about every 5 or 6 weeks we would do it again. How do those fit in.

This is almost an anti-MacGyver story....

My dad was bush-hogging our lower field (which is known as a swamp) and got the John Deere 2040 sunk the to rear axle in mud. I went to get my cousin who can walk a stuck tractor with the front end loader, and he went to get his uncles John Deere 60 that he pulls with. Well, I got back first with my cousin and he got on the tractor and went to start it up, ooops, NO KEY. My dad had taken it with him bc he didnt want anyone to steal it. Actually ended up having to get a truck wrecker to pull the thing out, but no one stole it.

I have 2 different stories to tell the first was when I had a tail pipe hanger break on my 67 Chevelle, it allowed the tail pipe hit on the gas tank and it then wore a hole in my gas tank.  It would just drip out anytime I had more than about 1/4 tank so if I was making a trip I would take a bar of soap from under the seat and rub it on the hole in the tank and it would seal it up for a day or two before it would start to leak again.

The other case involved a buddys 58 or 59 Henry J he had installed a 392 (please don't get mad at me it was not mine) Hemi in it.  We were both just high school age kids and did not have much money, so when it spun a rod bearing we had to come up with something.  He took off his belt, and we pulled the oil pan off and put a small piece of his belt around the crankshaft  and then put the oil pan back on and added some oil and started it back up and drove off about every 5 or 6 weeks we would do it again.  How do those fit in.

This reminds me of my first car, a 1958 VW window bus, bought it for $100, it was in real bad shape. Anyway it too had a split in the clam shell gas tank. and the tank sat directly over the engine in the rear. So if I put in more than a half a tank full in it would drip out directly onto the hot cylinder head, psst, psst, psst. Everystop light was an anxiety filled moment, I guess the Mcgyver part of this story is that the ignition circuit was buggered up and the only way to start the thing was to turn on the ing. climb around underneath and short out the starter motor with an old cutting torch(included in original purchase)Remember, kids, saftey first!

At the top of the page, there's a place to click on "track this topic". If you click on it, you can set it up so if anybody posts, you'll get an email telling you there's a new post in this thread. Try it, it works well for staying informed on something that matters to you, or in this case, staying amused reading about stuff that doesn't matter at all.

Anybody else have a good story to tell?

This one is kinda like RyanZ71 said above. I was on a mission trip with my church a few years ago, we took our old church bus and one of the leader's GMC pickup. On the way back, in Kentucky somewhere, the radiator hose developed a leak, and the engine got extremely warm (on the bus, not the truck). We stopped and detected the problem. We bought some duct tape and some hose clamps. Wrapped it up in duct tape, put a couple of hose clamps around it just in case, topped of the fluid and drove it all the way back to West Michigan without another problem.

Nick

Archived